Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-05-2002, 07:22   #1
younggun58
WTF

Send a message via AIM to younggun58
'Gator Huntin'?

Anyone ever gone Alligator hunting?
I have always wanted to try this.
Curious as to what type of gun you would use and what you would do with the animal once harvested.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:52   #2
PACKIN' PLASTIC
4,500+ posts

Send a message via AIM to PACKIN' PLASTIC Send a message via Yahoo to PACKIN' PLASTIC
I have not had the chance to hunt gators, so take this for what you paid for it;f

If stalking, I would probably use a bolt action gun in .30 caliber, maybe a .308 or better.

Once tagged you could sell the hide, or have it tanned and use it yourself.

The meat is good they say, you would have to read up on butchering and cooking.

Sounds like fun

PP
PACKIN' PLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 09:52   #3
ubimow

I've actually eaten alligator...it wasn't bad but I can't say that it was all that good either. Personally I thought the rattlesnake tasted better.
ubimow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 10:34   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Pastor of mine grew up in Surinam back in the '60s and '70s as a missionary kid, and goes back all the time. They hunt crocs and alligators with a single-barrel 12ga (the only firearms natives are allowed) and a harpoon. They go out at night with a flashlight and flash it around. They see the eyes above water, the shotgunner aims for the eyes with birdshot and fires at close range (say 10 feet) which penetrates the eye and then the brain (one shot stop) the harpooner hits the 'gator or croc and has a rope ready as it thrashes around etc. When it finally dies the barbed spear/harpoon lets them pull it in before it sinks.

That's how he told me they do it, and when I went off to ROTC some of the guys in the college crowd (lucky &*(&!) went down with him and after coming back from ROTC they corroborated the story since they hunted several crocs with him (he brought his 1187 though)and apparently nearly bought it when one of them flipped their canoe as it died struggling mightily...
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 13:25   #5
Fox
Varmit Control

I think I would use a shotgun with slugs or buckshot loads.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 00:19   #6
gregbullet

Make sure you read ALL of the laws about hunting gators. To hunt legally in Fl one must first enter a lottery to obtain a permit. Afterwards a quota is assigned or your area. The weapons you can use is a harpoon and a bang stick. This was 10yrs ago so the rules might of changed some. The first time I went it was real fun-then a PIA afterwards. Picture this-pitch black night,skeeters everywhere,13ft johnboat,90+ w/90%humidity,nasty water,when you finally get close enough to spear/gig one-you only get one try. Now the fun begins-once you spear one they really don't like it at all-so all you can do is to hang on to the rope while they spin around. Hopefully they will tie themselves up when spinning, making it easy to get to the boat for the bang stick. Not having fun yet? once shot now you have to jump out into muck up to your neck to put the still twitching gator into your boat-or better yet-the gator that sinks when shot-now you have to dig around the bottom for him-hoping that it's real dead. On the plus side we did make over a grand doing it-but it was'nt worth it.
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:48   #7
DT in the BIG EASY

The weapon of choice in south Louisiana is a large cal. handgun.
The season begins on the same day as Teal season, Sept. 15, if memory serves me. The general method is to secure a piece of meat on LARGE hook, tied to a rope, and secured to the ground. When the gator takes the bait, he's hooked for life, or until you arrive to check your bait.
DT in the BIG EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:23   #8
RobertJ

Send a message via ICQ to RobertJ Send a message via AIM to RobertJ
Gregbullet, The laws have changed, and there is a one week period to hunt in. though you do need a gator license to do so. No more lottery (at least here in central Fl.) just do a search on Fl. state hunting regulations and you will get all the specifics.
The only salvageable meat from a gator is in its tale, from everything I hear.I never cleaned /dressed out one. It dose taste good but nothing to go out of the way for. It used to make the news all the time when the season opened now in the past 5 years its hardly even a side note on the local news...
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote