Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2008, 21:39   #1
ezterra

Gear Questions

There are a couple pieces of gear that I'd like to purchase myself to help make my job a little easier.

First, I've decided that I'd like to get a Molle vest. Does anyone have experience with the Camelbak vest or the Blackhawk? Those are the two I'm debating between.

Secondly, I've been issued that older style kevlar with that awful suspension thingy inside. I want to get the conversion kit so it uses the pads and chinstrap like the ACH. I found the SKYDEX® PASGT Retrofit Kit. Is it any good?
ezterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:21   #2
NIB

Whats your job! Lot's of vests out there but it depends on what your gonna be doing.

PM sent BTW.
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 18:54   #3
ezterra

I am EOD. I'm looking for a vest because on regular call or range clearing (non tactical environment) I don't need all the mag pouches and junk on my IBA. However, I do need them when we go out to the field or do weapons training. So I'd like a vest so that I can keep my IBA clean of junk, and throw the vest on over my IBA when I need all that other stuff. I'm trying to avoid constantly taking things off/on of my IBA.
ezterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 19:02   #4
Biscuitsjam

You may want to wait until you get deployed. You'll probably get the new helmet and possibly even a MOLLE vest through RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative).

Based on the advice of the unit that proceded us, our battalion decided not to use the MOLLE vests. Apparently, some of their soldiers drowned when they fell into a canal and were unable to remove them quickly. So, while I have an issued MOLLE vest, I've never used it. It seems like it would be a useful piece of gear.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 21:36   #5
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Having spent a LOT of time wearing MOLLE gear.

The Camelbak falls under the "ok" but not spectacular crowd.

The quick-detachable armor carrier systems with MOLLE on them are pretty much the way everyone is moving, like HSGI or Eagle makes (the Eagle CIRAS is excellent).

In your situation, there's several rigs Eagle makes that are sort of like modernized LBE with MOLLE. Our issued DF-LCS rig is actually based off of them, and it would probably do fine in your situation (ammo and gear when you need it, but not attached to the armor) and they have quick release fastex buckles everywhere just in case of the situation Biscuitsjam mentioned. A plate carrier (panel of MOLLE front and back with side clips) would accomplish the same thing, with a bit more real estate up front if you prefer, like I do, your stuff centrally mounted.

Check out www.tacticaltailor.com or www.highspeedgearinc.com or www.eagleindustries.com

If there's enough of you, most of the companies (especially HSGI/TT) will custom modify or make something for you, if you explain it well enough.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:10   #6
rebbryan
.40FireFighter

Send a message via AIM to rebbryan
I saw on the Army Times website almost 2 years ago they were making a new IBA for the army that was pretty much the CIRAS, haven't heard anything about it since. I'd agree w/ biscuitsjam if you're getting deployed, but doesn't sound like you are by your original post. As suggested i'd definitely look at the Eagle CIRAS, I've never used Eagle as we're issued a basic MOLLE vest and I haven't had a need to upgrade it yet, but it has a GREAT reputation. Remember, you get what you pay for, Eagle may be a tad more expensive than some other companies but their quality is supposed to be highly superior. Also remember to check your SOP's as to non-issued gear.

NASCAR sucks
rebbryan is offline   Reply With Quote