GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:11   #1
ysr_racer

Should we feel bad for aid workers that are beheaded?

The news just reported another one. I'm thinking they know the risks when they volunteer.

Me? I don't care how those animals live, and I have no desire to help them.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:20   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I feel bad for them, that's a crappy way to go. Still, they knew the risks going in, so it kinda falls in the "play stupid games" category.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:31   #3
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Many/most of them are out doing things like vaccinating children, providing the most-basic medical care, etc. It's not a kid's fault he was born in that particular mud-hole - and the desire to help others isn't a bad thing.

I feel for anyone who dies like that - it's got to be an awful way to go. I understand that they accepted the risks, but that doesn't make me heartless about someone meeting a terrible end far from home.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:40   #4
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
The news just reported another one. I'm thinking they know the risks when they volunteer.

Fortunately for some people being born into these awful places there are some that are willing to risk their lives to go over there and help.

Someone knowingly goes into a dangerous country for the sole purpose of helping others and then gets beheaded. I think the moral thing to do is to say a prayer for them and their family's' loss.

Ysr, I hope you're more caring in real life than you act on GT. Many of your posts come across as pretty cold.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:43   #5
fowl intent

It's easy to be a real jerk behind an anomynous keyboard, not so easy in real life.
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:45   #6
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Of course I feel for them...but that isnt as important as the lesson of it all.

You cant win the hearts and minds of a snake. You will get bit. Everyone knows that. It isnt a snakes fault it is born a snake either, but it is what it is.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:48   #7
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I have a strict policy to stay out of areas where people cut off other peoples heads.
I feel for the families and understand people want to help others but some don't really want the help.

Last edited by Steel Head; 11-16-2014 at 17:51..
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:54   #8
Blast
'nuff said

Damn right I feel bad for them.These kind of people do admirable work. They are not "hold my beer and watch this" kind of people.
They are honorable people trying to do good in a bad world.
Doctors Without Borders and Red cross volunteers are good people.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:57   #9
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Damn right I feel bad for them.These kind of people do admirable work. They are not "hold my beer and watch this" kind of people.
This. There has always been an ugly hate for altruism on this site. HH
Old 11-16-2014, 12:04   #10
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Should we feel bad for aid workers that are beheaded?
Sure, you can feel bad for them, even though you may think they are stupid for going to s***holes like that.

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions", and the bodies of nave do-gooders.

I think what we should feel is more hate and revulsion for the inhuman monsters that do such things.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:05   #11
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Times being what they are, these do-goody organizations need to hire some bad-ass mercs to assure their safety.

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07   #12
AC37
SystemicAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I feel bad for them, that's a crappy way to go. Still, they knew the risks going in, so it kinda falls in the "play stupid games" category.
"Knowing the risks" is different than "knowing the future." You can mentally know that there's a 1% chance you'll be captured, tortured, and beheaded...that's a lot different than knowing that you're the person that you're the person it'll be happening to for sure. I think there are very few people that if they knew they'd have a Wiki entry two years from now and only be because they had their head slowly sawed off on camera, that they'd still go over to a third-world country and put themselves on the line...at least without a lot more protection.

I mean, according to the "they knew the risks" line of thinking, none of us should feel bad for a neighbor, family member, or friend when they die in a horrific car accident, right? "They knew the risks."

If our world is desperately in need of something today, it is more kindness and compassion, not less.

Last edited by AC37; 11-16-2014 at 12:07..
AC37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07   #13
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post

I think what we should feel is more hate and revulsion for the inhuman monsters that do such things.
For them, we should reserve fuel-air explosives ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07   #14
peng

Quote:

Wow. Are you serious ? Really ?

Do you feel for LEO's who get killed ? They knew the risks.

Do you feel for soldiers who get killed ? They volunteered and knew the risks.

Do you feel for people who get killed in auto accidents ? They knew the risks and bought a car, unbelievably.

Do you feel for pedestrians who get hit by cars ? They knew the risks yet got up in the morning anyhow.

These folks believe what they are doing to help people outweigh the risks to themselves. Sort of heroic actually, you know, if you read the definition in a dictionary.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10   #15
AC37
SystemicAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
falls in the "play stupid games" category.
Does it? Does trying to help needy people in other countries basically still stuck in the dark ages really qualify as "play stupid games" category?

According to that theory, one can easily lump at least one major religious/spiritual leader into that category.

At a minimum, one has trouble resolving it against "fear no evil."
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10   #16
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

I feel bad for anyone who goes into a hellhole to try to make it a little bit better and dies for it.

Yes, they know the risks, but that doesn't change the fact that a fundamentally good person with legitimately good intentions has been murdered. If you don't feel bad about that when it happens, there's something wrong with you.

If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all. - Jacob Hornberger
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10   #17
podwich

I feel bad for them. I wouldn't do what they do, but I feel sorry...and angry at the animals who would murder these people.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:12   #18
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 11-16-2014 at 12:18..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:13   #19
AC37
SystemicAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
This. There has always been an ugly hate for altruism on this site. HH
I'm starting to see that.

There's certainly a large degree of naivety present in a lot of people, but that certainly doesn't mean their efforts are worthless or meaningless, or that it's integrous to call them stupid and imply they deserved it from behind the comfortable anonymity of a keyboard on the internet.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:14   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC37 View Post

If our world is desperately in need of something today, it is more kindness and compassion, not less.
Compassion and kindness doesnt solve every problem. It actually makes some serious problems much worse.

I agree that much of the world needs more kindness and compassion. However, there are a few issues where we need to apply force or at the very least let it be.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote