SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2008, 18:48   #1
Zulu Alpha
Abyss Dweller

Send a message via ICQ to Zulu Alpha
NC CCW question on firearm used during the class...

I probably already know the answer to this, and know where this comes from, but I figured I'd ask in case I overlooked something...

At work several co-workers are interested in getting their CCW. I have been encouraging them and answering questions... So any way during lunch these 2 co-workers went to a local eating place and struck up a conversation with a City LEO... They were asking the LEO some questions about CCW and one of the questions that the LEO told them the answer to seemed false. They asked him if they could only could carry the weapon they qualified with, and he told them "Yes, the ones you qualify with @ the CCW class are the only ones you can carry!"

When they told me that, I informed them that was incorrect and it was a probably a rookie that told them that... This probably stems from LEO's requirement to qualify with duty and off duty weapons... I know that some states DO have this requirement but NC isn't one of them...

I also went over the NC laws and saw no such reference to CCW qualification weapons so my question is this:

"Are you limited to the CCW weapon you qualified with in NC, or is there NO such requirement???"

I say no, but that part of the class I must have missed if it was included...

Thanks for your help...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zulu Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 19:57   #2
Glock-R1980
Captain OD

You are correct. What you qualify with is NOT what you have to carry. If you can get 25 pistols on you and conceal them the permit you have from NC will cover all of them.
Walther P-22, AR-15 BRCM #327
Glock-R1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 20:05   #3
Zulu Alpha
Abyss Dweller

Thanks!

Didn't think it was an issue as it never came up before...

Not that I don't like Glocks, but I didn't wanna be stuck with a G26 as my ONLY option

Just checking to be sure... never hurts to reread the law every now and again

Old 03-14-2008, 07:48   #4
Bosko

At one time last year, there was a rumor initiated by a gun salesman at Gander Mountain in Greensboro. A prospective customer reported having been told that effective 01/01/2008, those taking the Concealed Carry - Handgun course would have to qualify with the largest caliber handgun that they might carry. The authority at DOJ Salemburg confirmed that this was only a rumor and there was no intention to make it a reality. Some instructors, including myself, are concerned about students who admit that they will never carry the .22LR single action revolver or semi-automatic target pistol with which they qualified. They admit their intention to carry a handgun of a larger caliber and only shot the .22LR in order to make sure they would qualify. I have offered to meet any of these students at the range, on my own time, and run them through the course of fire with their larger caliber handgun. In the past 9 months, no one has availed themselves of my offer. That is why our policy is to document the make, model, and caliber of the handgun with which they qualified.
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:26   #5
Glock-R1980
Captain OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
At one time last year, there was a rumor initiated by a gun salesman at Gander Mountain in Greensboro. A prospective customer reported having been told that effective 01/01/2008, those taking the Concealed Carry - Handgun course would have to qualify with the largest caliber handgun that they might carry. The authority at DOJ Salemburg confirmed that this was only a rumor and there was no intention to make it a reality. Some instructors, including myself, are concerned about students who admit that they will never carry the .22LR single action revolver or semi-automatic target pistol with which they qualified. They admit their intention to carry a handgun of a larger caliber and only shot the .22LR in order to make sure they would qualify. I have offered to meet any of these students at the range, on my own time, and run them through the course of fire with their larger caliber handgun. In the past 9 months, no one has availed themselves of my offer. That is why our policy is to document the make, model, and caliber of the handgun with which they qualified.

I also as an instructor document the firearms my students bring to class. I see the same reasoning that your students have using the .22LR. When I qualified I found it to be more useful to qualify with what I was gonna carry and to get tips to use my carry gun. I does me no good to know how to use my Mark III 22/45 when it's at home in the safe and my Glock 19 is on my side.
Walther P-22, AR-15 BRCM #327
Glock-R1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 14:27   #6
RichardB
Silver Membership

There are states other than NC which have specific weapons identified on the CC permit or list the largest caliber the person may carry under the permit.

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 17:22   #7
Zulu Alpha
Abyss Dweller

Thanks...

Yeah I remember alot of folks shot Ruger MKII's, I shot the 9mm (hadn't been bitten by the .45 ACP bug then ), but one fellar was shooting .44 special

I'd prefer to have something besides a .22 when defending my life