Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2008, 21:05   #1
KG4IDA

Blizzard of 93

Who was here during the blizzard in 1993?

I was working the 3-11 shift in Oak Ridge on Friday when it started and I barely made it home. If I had been on a 4-12 shift I believe I would not have. Our power never went out and it was beautiful.

I had a friend who was up in the Cherokee National Forest that day but got home before it really started. Others had to be rescued by national guard helicopters.

The people who reported to work that night as I left were stuck for several days. They got paid for it though.
KG4IDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:18   #2
Akita
gone

/////

Last edited by Akita; 10-07-2008 at 10:58..
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 19:17   #3
KG4IDA

On the Monday morning following the snow, I was trying to get to work on Hwy 95. There were trees down on both sides of the road laying in the road.
There was a lane cleared but it weaved from side to side around the fallen trees. At one point, I was driving on the left hand shoulder of the road. I was lucky that I didn't meet any traffic coming the other way.
KG4IDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 21:21   #4
Blondie

Yes, remember it well.
I was working in north Knoxville that Fri. night but live 20 miles away in the next county south. It started snowing about 7 or 8 PM that night but just melted on our parking lot. Then looked out about 11 PM and our lot and the surrounding streets had turned white.
Was suppose to get off at 9 AM Sat. but got stranded of course. Didn't make it home till about Noon on Sun. Damn what a mess!!
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:35   #5
RonaldBeal

2 friends and I had gone skiing and ice climbing in North Carolina. We drove back from East TN in my buddies old bronco with snow chains. We were 1 of only 2 dozen cars we saw traveling on I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville. We lost count of how many jack-knifed semis we saw on the way back.
RonaldBeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 15:28   #6
rrog

I was here too. I was in college and worked for Philips at the time. They let our shift go home early and I went up to some friends' house in Morristown. My (now) ex-girlfriend's mother lived about four doors down. I spent most of three days at her house, with a wood working shop in the basement. The power never went off and I worked on wood-working projects all weekend. (The girlfriend was in Knoxville). As you recall, even the colleges were canceled so it was a good week for me.

Rick
Volunteer Glockers Club #11
.40 S&W Club #56
rrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 16:15   #7
jwilson51

I remember. It was my brother's birthday. First time and only time in Oak Ridge that we were able to ride 4wheeler's down the Turnpike.

Speaking of the turnpike, I noticed that it is getting expanded. Is it really necessary?
Old 04-08-2008, 18:04   #8
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

I was iced out of my car for three days.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 19:17   #9
Akita
gone

[/////

Last edited by Akita; 10-07-2008 at 10:59..
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 20:37   #10
26Glocker

Down at this end of the state, was a complete ice storm. Limbs of trees breaking & falling woke me up!
...seems like jus' duther day...
Big Dawg #1349
Vol Glocker #26
"Safety is serious. Period. There is no way to unshoot someone, intentional or not." Gruntmedik
26Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote