Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2013, 18:26   #1
PerfectionSeeker

Backcountry Ammo Recommendations

Any hunters or outdoorsmen on this forum?

The G39 will be my companion on camping and hiking trips to the Southern California mountains and wilderness areas. Some threats (besides people and dogs running wild) are black bears and mountain lions. (Thanks to hunting bans, we now have attacks on humans on a regular basis).

Generally, FMJs and hollow point handgun loads are thought of as lacking effectiveness against bears.

A high velocity, heavy hard cast bullet is generally accepted to work best within each caliber. But for the Glock, it would have to be coated, or there will be an issue with lead fouling in the standard Glock barrel.

Such ammo is available in 10 mm (Buffalo Bore and others). Some are using aftermarket barrels for the G20 and G29, combined with stronger recoil springs, and very hot loads.

But with the slim ammo availability for .45 GAP, would I have to handload? (If so, can anyone recommend components?)

Or is there a way to convert the G39 to 10 mm?

Yes, I know that no .45 auto handgun will ever be optimal against a bear. There are plenty who don't even trust the 10 mm and recommend a .44 revolver as minimum.

But please keep in mind: I don't want to hunt. I just want protection for me and those I'm responsible for. Dissuasion might be enough in many cases.

Also, this is California. Most hikers here are city folk who'd freak out when seeing a hiker or camper with a gun. Therefore, any gun would have to be kept out of sight (which rules out rifles, shotguns, and makes N-frame revolvers or even a G20 problematic).

And finally, if the G39 is available to me, it would certainly be more effective than throwing rocks or making noise (as is often recommended).

Advice?

Last edited by PerfectionSeeker; 10-02-2013 at 18:27..
PerfectionSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:55   #2
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

I think the frame is too small to handle the violence of a 10mm. I am sure there is bonded ammunition at the +p or +P+ levels that are pushed over 1000 fps. I would seek a bonded bullet of the truncated cone persuasion. If you find the right bullet (Probably something in 185?), you could reload for it, but work up to your max load and check for excessive pressure.

The problem is you have very little room in the casing to play with. A G 29 SF is not much bigger. You should try and compare the two side by side if the opportunity arises.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38   #3
GRR

No you cannot convert a 39 to fire 10mm. 10mm ammo is too long to fit the frame of a 39.

I personally wouldn't count on any short barreled handgun against dangerous game. Maybe a 4" 44 mag. I would prefer a 12 gage shotgun if I expected to encounter bear or lion.

Last edited by GRR; 10-23-2013 at 02:46..
GRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 16:29   #4
PerfectionSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRR View Post
No you cannot convert a 39 to fire 10mm. 10mm ammo is too long to fit the frame of a 39.

I personally wouldn't count on any short barreled handgun against dangerous game. Maybe a 4" 44 mag. I would prefer a 12 gage shotgun if I expected to encounter bear or lion.
You are right - I forgot about the shorter case. (The reason why I brought it up was because there are accounts of people successfully converting their 10mm Glocks into .45 ACP. Of course Glock does not recommend it, but it is not very difficult).

Of course, no handgun would be the most effective weapon against a bear. However, unless you carry a rifle or shotgun and can deploy it very rapidly, it does not do you any good. And who goes hiking or camping with a rifle or shotgun? (Not in my state -- unless you want to risk getting shot by park rangers).

The .357 Magnum, the .44 magnum and the 10mm actually do have quite a bit of a track record for self defense against bears. They certainly are better than throwing stones.

The 10mm Glock 20 (while obviously not a primary weapon) is the standard issue sidearm for Scandinavian troops who are serving in areas where they encounter polar bears. Military tests there have shown that the 10mm would be a viable "last resort" defense even against polar bears. The 10 mm G20 is less powerful than a .44 magnum revolver, but it is lighter, has less recoil, and the G20 has a 15+ magazine capacity.

(Somehow this thread got split into two. I can't figure out how to combine them).
PerfectionSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote