Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:41   #1
The Rampage
Inevitable

Anyone own a TISSOT? Here's what I'm planning to buy...

I've always sorta planned on getting a Tissot, and had basically made up my mind on a Le Locle, but as it's really looking like I'll be heading back to Hawaii next year--and nobody wears those "dressy" tiny watches in Hawaii--I'm sticking to mainly diver/sport type watches that I can actually wear in casual clothing and also with Hawaii's version of "dress clothes," which is slacks and an aloha shirt.

Besides, I've already got my Seiko SCVS003 for dressy events where I might need a watch that fits under a cuff.

The Seastar 1000 is a watch that I'd always admired, but never really considered getting. Perhaps I thought that $600 was a bit much for a "lesser" name Swiss watch. Well, I only now figured out that those f'ers drop down into the mid-$300s range, so...

It's About Time

It's About Time

It's About Time

Rumor has it that I can score one of these for $350 online, and even Amazon is offering them for about $380. Of course, this watch isn't on my list of things to buy RIGHT NOW, but I do think this would be a nice Summer present to myself, when I return stateside on business in July. Matter of fact, I'll be picking up the VX-200 I won on Ebay when I return home, and two watches is always better than one!

So, does anyone here own one? Any reason why I should steer clear of this one?

TR
The Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:47   #2
Teapot

It is a nice watch, to be sure, however if I am to spend serious money on a watch I should prefer to buy a mechanical wind up or one that takes it's time from an atomic clock. There are some very nice German watches in these categories. The price tag is a bit higher than six hundred though.
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 19:40   #3
VirginiaLEO83
1*

No experience with that particular one, but I love my Tissot PR-50 Automatic. After wearing it for awhile, I have a had time putting my Jap Quartz watches on. Not that they aren't fine for their price, but you can really feel where the extra $$ goes. I say go for it, but I like the blue face better.

It's About Time
VirginiaLEO83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:33   #4
The Rampage
Inevitable

Well, well...a little research really pays off.

Turns out that the Seastar 1000 will be/has been discontinued, although most experts expect a newer version to reappear since the Seastar brand has been around for decades.

I also found out that there was a minor QC issue with the Seastar line, and many reported their movements breaking, many more reporting "chipping," or the paint just coming off on the bezel...particularly with the blue model.

I've also found out that they can easily be had for $325 online!

I still really like the looks of the silver one, and the Seastar is supposed to be one heavy SOB (which I like), but if I'm gonna go cheapskate and try picking up another expensive watch for much less than retail, I could just go and get another VX for less than the SS, easily.

Or...I could just get myself a Le Locle, like I wanted. Not sure...

TR
The Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 18:49   #5
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
I own a Titanium/Carbon Fiber Tissot T-Touch. Love the watch. Many are amazed at the "touch screen".

Sadly enough, I don't wear it much.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 19:10   #6
itstime

I bought that same Seastar from a AD.

It was from an out of state dealer I got while on vacation and when I got it home, it was broke. Didn't really play with it at the dealer enough.

The movement was moving in the case while I wound it. The movement and face would bang in the case while I wound it. It would hit the crystal at the 12 and 6.

Needless to say I sent it back for repair, and came back with the same thing.

Sent it back for my money but lost on all the shipping.

Got to play with a Offshore Chrono though!!! It was $16,000 at the time.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote