SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 19:26   #1
Bio Glock

Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I

As a social experiment, I "open carried" last Saturday while going out on several errands in NE Atlanta area.

The Container Store, REI, Barnes and Noble, and a Krogers.

Glock 22 - Galco Fletch - Looper Kydex belt - Right handed.

Left side a cell phone, Blackberry, extra mag (RippOff Holsters) I've used them for several years http://www.ripoffs.com/

No challenges, and I must admit, great customer service!

I will open carry again, no problem.

Lets try this as an Open Carry sticky.

Just post about your open carry experiences, any problems you had, and positive encounters with others. If you want, describe your carry rig, how you dressed, time of day, frequency of carry in that location...any details that will help others decide whether open carry is for them.

Remember, Open Carry is NOT for everyone.

Laws restrict open carrying in certain jurisdictions.

If you disagree with open carry, that's fine, but this thread is NOT for arguing pro/con open carry. Any posts in that vein will be deleted.

If you want to debate Open Carry, express your negative views, please, we encourage you to start a new thread.

Also, if you want to discuss a post, to ask questions, quote the post and start a new thread in the main Carry Issues Forum.

RussP

Last edited by RussP; 05-07-2009 at 13:36..
Old 03-14-2008, 18:20   #2
Resqu2

More tales of Open Carrying

So I went to Outback Steak House with my trusty G27 strapped on my side in a nice leather holster, my two way fire radio sits beside it. I have on a regular polo FD issued shirt with our emblem on the front. We walk in and it’s crowded as usual and no one even seems to notice my firearm. We waited to be seated and several people walk by, no one panics, no one calls the police, no one even seems to notice.

We take our seat and had a super gal serving us and she didn’t panic either. I’m sure she noticed my gun as it’s in plain view as REQUIRED by VA law. Our meal usually runs $35 but when my server brings my check her manager had told her that since I was with Fire and Rescue that she was to give me a discount, my $35 dollar meal had a total of $12.56 owed, can you guys believe that they would treat someone who open carries like that? This is only the second time I have got a discount there, got one a few years ago for the same amount. I tipped her nicely and told her to go and convey my thanks to her manager.

Now, my point in posting this is to prove that you can have a positive experience while OC'ing here in VA. I feel it’s all in the way you act and carry yourself. My clothing choice was what got me the discount and it wasn’t planned that way, just happened to have it on when we decided to eat there. I think some people here believe you will be thrown out of every store you go in and be arrested on site for OC'inc but I just don’t see it happening if you act and dress right.

On a side note to those that are SO against OC, I followed VA LAW to the letter and my choices were to OC, not go (not an option as I was HUNGRY), go unarmed and hope no one broke into my vehicle and took and used my gun, or CCW and violate VA law which is NOT an option for me or anyone with any brains about them. So before you anti OC guys jump me, give me another option to my above options and then we will talk

Thanks for taking time to read my story!

Last edited by RussP; 07-16-2008 at 09:54..
Old 03-17-2008, 21:15   #3
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Send a message via AIM to mnglocker

I OCed at Menards and....

Nothing happened, nobody even blinked.

The only questions asked of me, were if I found everything, and if I'd like to put my purchase on a Menards Big card.

Last edited by RussP; 04-27-2008 at 13:26..
Old 03-17-2008, 21:28   #4
mnglocker
Rope Czar

More tales of Open Carrying

Last Saturday when I was out and about running some errands while OCing and I stopped at the Muni Liquor store at about 8pm/ I went in said "Hello" and asked one of the employees how they were doing, they said "Just fine and you", I replied back that "I was doing great". I proceeded to the back of the store's cooler and grabbed a delicious case of thirst quenching barley-flavored soda. At that point I decided that that item would suit my needs for the time being and I continued to the till where the cashier then asked me the question...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

"How are you tonight, and did you find what you needed?"<o:p></o:p>
I said, "Just fine thank you, and yes I found exactly what I was looking for."<o:p></o:p>
I then paid for my item and left, ala zero-incidence. <o:p></o:p>

Just another day of OC'ing in The Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Last edited by RussP; 03-18-2008 at 13:10.. Reason: Add link to Post 6
Old 03-17-2008, 21:38   #5
Aran
IUP Campus Lead

Lucky you
Old 03-17-2008, 22:18   #6
larry_minn
Silver Membership

No cover garmet? It wasn't that nice in my AO today.
Then again if you act like you are doing noting wrong/abnormal few folks notice you.
Old 03-17-2008, 22:44   #7
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
No cover garmet? It wasn't that nice in my AO today.
Then again if you act like you are doing noting wrong/abnormal few folks notice you.
I went last Saturday, I was too pooped to post it then.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:11   #8
Resqu2

Some on here just won't believe your story, if you were not arrested or at least thrown out of the store then it probably didn't happen.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:45   #9
Turtle13
Ni!

Whatever man, you were intent on a robbery. You knew it, the clerk knew it.

You were just too chicken to finish the job.

Don't try to BS us.

j/k
Old 03-18-2008, 09:48   #10
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32   #11
Kernellinux

At first..

When I read the title I thought you sprayed someone with OC. Glad that everything went well at Menards.
"In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod for the back of him that is void of understanding" Proverbs 10:13
Old 03-18-2008, 10:35   #12
Resqu2

Jeez, another "no incident" OC story, what is this place coming to. J/K.

I wish more would post their no incident OC stories, maybe some on here will get the picture that it's not a crime, unless the law says it is anyways.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:38   #13
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernellinux View Post
When I read the title I thought you sprayed someone with OC. Glad that everything went well at Menards.

Dooooood, we need to get ND on board with Open Carry.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:38   #14
passive101

I miss Menards. I used to live in WI and always loved shopping at their stores. They don't have any in Florida.
Old 03-18-2008, 13:02   #15
RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 03-18-2008 at 13:11..
Old 03-18-2008, 13:31   #16
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post

I'm honored.

Thank you Russ.
Old 03-18-2008, 13:39   #17
Critter Capper

Send a message via AIM to Critter Capper
howsabout this, come tomorrow evening, after my first time OCing, i will (hopefully) post a "no issue OC day" review! wish me luck

I'd rather be Judged by twelve, than Carried by six
Old 03-18-2008, 13:40   #18
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Capper View Post
howsabout this, come tomorrow evening, after my first time OCing, i will (hopefully) post a "no issue OC day" review! wish me luck

You don't need luck, just carry your self with confidence and be polite.
Old 03-18-2008, 14:30   #19
Aran
IUP Campus Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Why exactly did Wal-Mart call 911? Did the manager talk to you as well as the SP?
The first time, the manager talked to me first. The conversation was:

"Are you a cop?"
"No, why?"
"Do you have a license for that?"
"In Pennsylvania, it's not required for open carry" (I didn't give him a yes or no, though at the time it was a no, and I had locked my Glock up in the back of the Jeep to drive there, thinking it was absolutely legal so long as I did that, before having found out differently, just to stave off any "YUO BROEK TEH LAWWSW!!!" comments)
"Oh, okay."
"Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to know, so I'm glad you asked before assuming anything was wrong."

He kind of scurried off at about "seem to know" and I wasn't looking at him, since I was still reading the coffee can I was holding (I still don't know the difference, beyond where it's grown, between Arabica and Columbian.) and when I looked he was gone. I just shrugged, stuck the can in my shopping cart, and my fiancee and I kept shopping for about ten minutes until I was approached by two State Troopers.

The second time... Okay, I kind of smudged over details on this one. There was no 911 call on this one. The Trooper was already in the back office dealing with a shoplifter (Who they let go after a short lecture, I overheard... If only I was so lucky.) and one of the associates who saw me with my holster revealed went and got him.

The manager who sat in the office with me for 15 minutes while the trooper took off with my wallet and ID to run my info had no idea what was going on other than he was told to come sit with me. So we talked about my motorcycle for most of the time. He was actually a pretty nice guy about it. He even asked "So did you break a law?" and seemed to believe me when I explained the legality of open carry.

This whole time I was sitting in a chair with pretty high arms with my hands handcuffed behind my back, in a motorcycle jacket with forward-curved arms. The trooper had to pull on my wrist to even get my hand in the second cuff, because my arm refused to move that way without assistance. And he cuffed me in the action figure aisle of the store, where I was quietly looking at... Pokemon toys. SCARY!

I don't want to make this post too long, and completely hijack the thread (Sorry... I think I already did, didn't mean to) but I'll leave you with a lovely quote by the trooper - "If you had your gun exposed walking down the street, you'd be likely to have found a gun at your head. My gun."

A quote I was sure to include in my complaint to the State Police local barracks and commissioner. Their response to the situation? http://www.songofthewinds.com/PSPResponse.jpg

(As copied from another, older post)
Old 03-18-2008, 15:11   #20
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Rock on where it's legal. If you get detained, don't complain. Every last person with my agency is conversant with citizen carry law in the area they're working. And if there's any allegation or observation of iffy behavior, they're going to get stopped and talked to. Nothing wrong, they'll be sent on their way in short order.
Old 03-18-2008, 15:27   #21
lance22

I OC'd at an Outback Steakhouse in MN just last night ... was wearing a suit. They burned my wife's steak so they gave her the meal for free, plus they gave us a coupon for a free Bloomin' Onion.

Not sure if anybody noticed my IWB - I was carrying a full size 1911.
Old 03-18-2008, 15:37   #22
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Rock on where it's legal. If you get detained, don't complain. Every last person with my agency is conversant with citizen carry law in the area they're working. And if there's any allegation or observation of iffy behavior, they're going to get stopped and talked to. Nothing wrong, they'll be sent on their way in short order.
Bill, what is iffy behavior and what is your agency so GT members may amend any behavior that may be "iffy" in your jurisdiction?

Old 03-18-2008, 16:51   #23
Jerry C

I open carried in Subway Sunday. I sat a table next to two city police officers, neither showed any reaction as i walked by. Went to soda fountain to fill my drink and the manager approached me an ask what kind of gun I was carrying. I told him a Glock 17, we talked about guns for a couple minutes and I walked back past the police to my table. No panic in the place at all. I also open carry six days a week (weather permiting) into my bank to make deposits for two grocery stores. Never been robbed yet!
Old 03-18-2008, 17:08   #24
RussP

The pharmacy tech at our local drugstore told me one night when I was getting a few things that his father had given him his Service Pistol, a G17. He said it showed the wear of many years of use. The lady next to me at the pharmacy counter patted her purse, said with a grin, "I carry a 26!"

I told her I'd noticed she seemed well aware of her surroundings. She told us, "My husband the cop teaches me what to look for."

Ya meet the nicest people open carrying...

Old 03-18-2008, 17:59   #25
Doc226
Smart Ass Doc

I live in Rhode Island and have an Attorney General's CCW, with this permit as opposed to the town chief permit I AM allowed to open carry. In RI I am sure if I ever open carried I would have a visit from the local LEO's very quickly. People around here wet their pants just from talking about guns, if they ever saw one I am sure a heart attack would follow.