Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:21   #1
Mrhat201

Sailor going to BUD/S

Hi yall! I'm new to Glock talk and just wanted to say hi.
Old 03-20-2008, 14:47   #2
Nakkie
CLM Number 75
Charter Lifetime Member

Dude. Pay attention to your physical preps, and not just before you go, either. They're designed to build up your joints and cartilage as well as muscles and stamina.

There's nothing like having the energy and motivation, but getting slowed down by a stress injury or something you can't control.

You have to be one peppy cheerful SOB if you want to make it. - FerFAL
Nakkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 22:25   #3
Mrhat201

Thanks a lot. I must say that I'm already doing some pretty heavy PT. I usualy go with some guys who are operating now. Have you gone to BUD/S?
Old 03-23-2008, 00:01   #4
Nakkie
CLM Number 75
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhat201 View Post
Thanks a lot. I must say that I'm already doing some pretty heavy PT. I usualy go with some guys who are operating now. Have you gone to BUD/S?
Not me. That's for crazy dudes. I like to stay out of the sand when I'm wet.

You have to be one peppy cheerful SOB if you want to make it. - FerFAL
Nakkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:37   #5
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Welcome and best of luck.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 19:28   #6
SAWMAN

Heapin' Helpin' ......

.....of physical ability never hurts. But I would suggest that you concentrate on mental alertness at least as much.

There are some fairly scrawny guys that graduate BUD/S. Yet they are some of the strongest individuals on the planet.

Mental attitude will be what gets you through. How bad have you ever wanted something in your entire life ?? What would you endure to acheive it ?? How well are you at adapting ?? How much do you care about your fellow classmates ??

Roll all this up together and add a huge ammount of discomfort and raw pain. Stay sharp with pre reporting mental drills. Practice your learning style. Practice memorizeing things,from colors,to sets of numbers,to how things are arranged in order.

You can do it if you have the right "attitude". The day you graduate you will be the proudest person on the face of the earth. Your life will change forever. You will truly be a member of a "band of brothers".

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:05   #7
SAWMAN

Allow me to add.......

......start getting used to being uncomfortable. Take cool to cold showers. Get as used to the water as you can. Salt and fresh. Toughen up your feet. Walk bear footed as much as possible.

When you report have a "close" haircut. If you are not an extremely "respectful" individual you better learn some humility real fast.

Listen very closely. Pick up on every detail. Have a plan to have a plan. ADAPT to any situation at hand. Get the task done at all cost accept at the cost of your classmates.

Also, never brag or let it be known to the instructors that you have preped yourself prior to reporting. The tougher they think you are,the tougher they will be on you. It is the instructors job to make you into what THEY want you to be. They are very good at it. If(when)you graduate you will be just that. Part of the team.

Rest in peace MA2(SEAL) Michael Mansoor. You earned your place. You will NEVER be forgotten.

Most important of all,remember.....NEVER QUIT.

Good Luck.

Last edited by SAWMAN; 04-05-2008 at 13:28..
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07   #8
deadday

Good luck bro.

drew
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53   #9
exprt9

Good Luck! Don't ever quit and remember that aside from physical preparation, you need to be prepared mentally! It's also a mind game...Fair winds to you!
BOG's #24/7
exprt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 23:30   #10
Mrhat201

Thanks guys
Old 05-04-2008, 23:55   #11
mikegun

for what its worth

My Police partner was a Navy Seal, very quiet and not big and impressive,but of all the tough people ive met in my entire life, he was, hands down the toughest, and the best partner one could have, hes gone now,God bless him.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:16   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exprt9 View Post
Good Luck! Don't ever quit and remember that aside from physical preparation, you need to be prepared mentally! It's also a mind game...Fair winds to you!
AMEN.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17   #13
CDR_Glock

Sailor going to BUD/S

There was a documentary on the training on History, TLC or the discovery channel.

You should watch that show, be prepared for what the training entails, be mentally prepared for arduous training and understand the mission or purpose of what you are to gain from those skills.

Good luck, Shipmate. Thanks for your service.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01   #14
chuckman

Good luck. I have worked with the SEALs, but wasn't a SEAL. I spent all of my enlisted time as a corpsman with the Marines, in a few different units. For your own sake, ignore what people who have not been there told you. They don't know. I worked up the street from Coronado at Camp Del Mar, so I know Pacific cold. You cannot train for cold water. You cannot.

If you are working out with SEALs, then you should be physically ready (I am not going to call them 'operators'. An 'operator' answers the phone when you dial zero. They are SEALs. Contractors are operators. Sorry, I am old school that way). Have good boots, don't worry about walking barefoot or any of that nonsense. Run in your boots and only boots.

Remember this, as is 99% of anything in life, is mental more than physical. Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right. Mouth shut, eyes and ears open, do NOT be the man in the middle...always put out 100%, be first as much as possible. If they ask you if you trained before you got there, tell 'em. Everyone trains before BUDS.

I miss working with them and the Recon Marines. I do not miss the Pacific. Best of luck. Fair winds and following seas, shipmate.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28   #15
md2lgyk

Good luck! I admire anybody who wants to go down that road. I never did. I did spend a lot of time underwater, but I had a submarine wrapped around me.
Old 05-11-2010, 21:51   #16

Buds is not harder than Army Ranger School, Marine Corps Recon School or the Air Force Para Guys with the exception of Hell Week.

Have a close friend who was a Seal. He got through Hell Week by pretending he was a Prisoner of War and would be shot if he didn't do what was required.

Scuba and parachute training is no different for any branch. Most of Buds is infantry training both basic and advanced. Map reading, repelling, tactics etc. They do not even carry real rifles while training. Just plastic mock ups.

They need Hell week because their boot camp is one level harder than Sea Scout training.
2952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 00:34   #17
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18   #18
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2952 View Post
Buds is not harder than Army Ranger School, Marine Corps Recon School or the Air Force Para Guys with the exception of Hell Week.

Have a close friend who was a Seal. He got through Hell Week by pretending he was a Prisoner of War and would be shot if he didn't do what was required.

Scuba and parachute training is no different for any branch. Most of Buds is infantry training both basic and advanced. Map reading, repelling, tactics etc. They do not even carry real rifles while training. Just plastic mock ups.

They need Hell week because their boot camp is one level harder than Sea Scout training.
BUDS attrition rates have, historically, been higher than other 'elite' unit school. The rates are dropping some because Sailors are going with more preparation. When an army guy goes to Ranger school, he is already a soldier. When a Marine or Corpsman goes to BRC (or whatever it's called now), same thing. they already have a solid foundation. Historically not true for BUDS.

Most of BUDS is not infantry. About a third of it is. Do a little research so you know what you are talking about...you might be suprised.

Is it un-doable? Of course not. ALL of these schools are doable, but it ain't a walk in the park.

Last edited by chuckman; 05-12-2010 at 05:18..
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 22:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
BUDS attrition rates have, historically, been higher than other 'elite' unit school. The rates are dropping some because Sailors are going with more preparation. When an army guy goes to Ranger school, he is already a soldier. When a Marine or Corpsman goes to BRC (or whatever it's called now), same thing. they already have a solid foundation. Historically not true for BUDS.

Most of BUDS is not infantry. About a third of it is. Do a little research so you know what you are talking about...you might be suprised.

Is it un-doable? Of course not. ALL of these schools are doable, but it ain't a walk in the park.

If you can read and comprehend English, you would be able to realize that I said sailors are not prepared for Buds, because they have no experience. Hence Hell Week to weed out those who really do not have their heart in it. Furthermore Buds is solely to prepare the Seal Team member to work together as a combat team mainly infantry. They go to Ft Benning for Jump School, Coronado for Scuba/UDT, they also learn about various weapons and fam fire them. They learn jungle, mountain and desert warfare including survival. They learn map reading, first aid and military discipline.

Not all Seals are fighters. It depends on their Team and their job within the Team. My friend was a parachute rigger. They are admins, armorers, communicators and so on. His Team spend his entire enlistment in the Mid East teaching Allies; Seal Methods.

I was at Camp Delmar with 1st Force Recon when JFK announced the creation of the Seals. Most in 1st Force Recon had qualified both with jump at Benning and scuba school at UDT at Coronado. We had all the above training including repelling onto ships and insertion by subs etc. During Nam the Seals and Force Recon sometimes worked together, but usually had slightly different missions.

Buds is not that difficult, Hell Week is. Outside of Hell Week, if you have a problem with a course, depending on the course, they will usually give you a little slack to work out your problem.

The hardest part of getting into Force Recon was the physical test. You had to do certain exercises and they didn't start counting until you showed you were getting tired. This showed how bad you really wanted in. It was not unusual for many not to qualify and end up in the Hospital pissing blood. Marine pre- jump school was three weeks of hell. Nothing but physical exercise with full packs, 782 gear, rifles, boots and helmets running, rolling on the ground, doing pushups and pullups. No Marine was going to flunk out of Doggy Jump School.

Navy Corpsman had to met the same quals.

Good luck at Buds.

Last edited by 2952; 05-12-2010 at 22:08..
2952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20   #20
chuckman

2952, PM sent.

Last edited by chuckman; 05-13-2010 at 05:20..
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote