Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:44   #1
scott.poole

Georgia House Bill 89

The Georgia congress is considering a bill (HB 89) that would remove a number of restrictions from where a concealed weapons permit holder is allowed to carry a concealed weapon.

I'm providing a link where you can sign an online petition supporting HB 89
which will be delivered to the bill's sponsor to help him convince other
legislators that this issue is important to the citizens of Georgia. It will
take you longer to read this post than it will to sign the petition and the
only info you give is your name, email address, and zip code (if you want).

Thanks,

Scott

Link: http://www.petitiononline.com/GAHB89/petition.html
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23   #2
Skykevver
Proud American

FYI...the petition is closed to new signatures per the website. Thanks for bringing this to public awareness.

"Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of (my)... maxims for living—no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse." ~ Jeffrey R. Holland ~ :dancing:
Skykevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:08   #3
FillYerHands
you son of a

The bill passed on April 2! See this story in the Urinal/Constipation.

I am looking for a voting record.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Clip? Magazine? Who cares? Take

|
|
Life Member |
FillYerHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:59   #4
scott.poole

Actually, HB 89 passed both houses as of last night. Now, all that remains is for it to cross the Gov's desk and (assuming no veto) should be law as of July 1, 2008.

Thanks to all who signed the online petition, but more importantly our legislators who made it possible.

Specific thanks go out to Rep. Tim Bearden (house sponsor) and Senators Chip Rogers and John Douglas who pushed things on their side.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:30   #5
thooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillYerHands View Post
The bill passed on April 2! See this story in the Urinal/Constipation.

I am looking for a voting record.

Please post the voting record when you find it. I could prolly look myself, but I'm lazy and not a resident of GA. But I'd like to inform the sheep around me who to vote for when they say "but I don't know who to vote for..."

thooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 21:30   #6
zodiacbw

Another report on HB 89

Nothing new it seems other than the anti-gun folk complaining.

"A Perdue spokesman said the governor had not yet decided whether he would sign the bill. An avid hunter, Perdue generally backs gun rights. But that support is not absolute."
Old 04-10-2008, 20:50   #7
yrone
re - member

Lets give him a ring tomorrow and ask if we might pretty please be able to legally defend ourselves while out to eat.

Capitol Address
Office of the Governor, Georgia State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: 404-656-1776
yrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 20:55   #8
king-of-typos-91

This is a repost of my post I started a few months back, no big deal.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821671

The Governor already said once before he would not sign it in to law because Georgia does not require any training or testing before issuing a license.

The purpose of the 1st amendment is to protect unpopular speech.

Last edited by king-of-typos-91; 04-10-2008 at 20:58..
king-of-typos-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 19:39   #9
bankerrkt

Make your voice heard. Give the Gov a call. I intend to.

The Georgia Club #80
bankerrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 15:07   #10
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

This is how it went down on the last legislative day in the house and the senate.

House vote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf0l0vbNZ-c
Senate vote: Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-cDZDS35Y
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPj2h88pFtg

Rep Tim Bearden (R) spear-headed this effort and without his "tenacity" and "I will not quit" attitude we have HB 89 on the Governors desk. Rep Bearden is presenting HB 89 in the house video. Senator Chip Rogers (R) is presenting HB 89 in the Senate. Notice has he handles the anti's (democrats) with his responses. The house side is much friendlier than the senate.

Last edited by GeorgiaGlocker; 04-15-2008 at 08:17..
GeorgiaGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:02   #11
FillYerHands
you son of a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooks View Post
Please post the voting record when you find it. I could prolly look myself, but I'm lazy and not a resident of GA. But I'd like to inform the sheep around me who to vote for when they say "but I don't know who to vote for..."

Here is the HB 89 page with links to all the votes.

Happily both my representatives voted Yes.

Clip? Magazine? Who cares? Take

|
|
Life Member |
FillYerHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15   #12
Wiskey_33

As I'm certain you are aware of by now, House Bill 89 passed both the House and the Senate on the last day of the Legislative session. We wanted to make each signer of the Petition for House Bill 89 aware of this fact and also wanted to point out that it's not law until signed by Governor Perdue.

Being that the restaurant business association, MARTA, the AJC, and other less than gun friendly organizations are making stances to get Perdue to veto 89, I feel that we need to politely encourage the Governor to sign HB 89 into law. At this time, we feel that putting ink to paper is by far the best method of contact but we would like to encourage any proper means to be used at will...

> Be Polite
> Be Precise
> Don't Be Long Winded
> If You Call, Know What You Want To Say Before Dialing (suggest writing it down even)
> Use Multiple Methods Of Contact; Do Not Use The Same Message
> Encourage Other Gun Owners To Contact The Governor, But Remind Them To Be Polite (Make Friends, Don't Burn A Bridge)

Methods To Use

Web Form E-Mail: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contac...820188,00.html

Snail Mail (USPS):
The Office of the Governor
State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334

Phone:
404-656-1776

Fax:
404-657-7332

Facts you may want to use in your letter are:

> The right of self protection has been a recognized human right since the conception of this nation.

> Under current law, a law-abiding citizen with a Georgia firearm license permit may go into any restaurant in the state that does not sell alcohol. That is about 75 percent to 80 percent of all restaurants in Georgia.

> If this bill is signed into law, Georgia will become the 44th state in the nation to allow carrying weapons on public transportation.

> Georgia firearm licensees are law abiding citizens, a number close to 300,000, that have taken time to undergo stringent background verifications to qualify us as able to carry a firearm in places of public interest for the purposes of self-protection.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:21   #13
Senator

The AJC continues its negative press parade regarding HB 89. Please call the Gov Purdue's office at 404 656 1776 and politely encourage the signing of HB 89 into law. Be courteous and succinct...much is hanging in the balance.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 17:56   #14
thooks

Has he signed it?

How much longer can it sit before it becomes law / expires ?

In Alabama, if the Gov does not sign the bill in a certain number of days, it automatically becomes law. Does this work in GA???
Old 04-21-2008, 14:44   #15
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooks View Post
Has he signed it?

How much longer can it sit before it becomes law / expires ?

In Alabama, if the Gov does not sign the bill in a certain number of days, it automatically becomes law. Does this work in GA???
The Governor doesn't have to sign it to become law as long as he doesn't veto it. Although we would like his signature on HB 89. The only thing that would stop HB 89 from becoming law is a veto and the Governor must veto it before May 30th. If he signs it or he doesn't veto it, it will take effect on July 1, 2008.
Old 04-21-2008, 18:25   #16
king-of-typos-91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
The Governor doesn't have to sign it to become law as long as he doesn't veto it. Although we would like his signature on HB 89. The only thing that would stop HB 89 from becoming law is a veto and the Governor must veto it before May 30th. If he signs it or he doesn't veto it, it will take effect on July 1, 2008.
How do you know that?

That is the first time I heard a governor can not sign something and it still become law, but then again I'm not Mr law 101 either.

I was not aware of the governors time limit.

But anyway, Expect the VETO, Sunny Perdue sucks.

Old 04-22-2008, 15:40   #17
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

These are the rules. They are similar to other states. Marta is now making a big push to the governor to veto HB 89. We cannot let up! Every contact we make to the Governor's office can make a difference. Ask you friends/relatives to contact the governor by telephone or even better with a letter and ask him to sign HB89.
Old 04-22-2008, 15:48   #18
king-of-typos-91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
These are the rules. They are similar to other states. Marta is now making a big push to the governor to veto HB 89. We cannot let up! Every contact we make to the Governor's office can make a difference. Ask you friends/relatives to contact the governor by telephone or even better with a letter and ask him to sign HB89.

Well that answered my question, thanks!

Old 04-23-2008, 13:40   #19
thooks

King,

these types of laws are well known in the circles of people that know and understand the legislative process. I really don't live here in GA (I maintain my residence in AL), but I knew this was the process in AL and figure it might be similar in GA. I just didn't pull it out of my lower orifice.
Old 04-23-2008, 18:57   #20
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-of-typos-91 View Post
Well that answered my question, thanks!
I realize I didn't answer your question the other day. I was in a hurry, but here is the website from the Secretary of State from where the information comes from. Scroll down to VIII.

http://sos.georgia.gov/tours/html/bill.html

Last edited by GeorgiaGlocker; 04-23-2008 at 19:01..