Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2008, 15:45   #1
blueiron

Any Nikon experts?

I inherited a Nikon F5 and have a question. Please PM me.

Thanks.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 17:10   #2
Hokie
NRA Member

The answer is to switch to Canon.

I believe nipperwolf shoots Nikon.
Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 17:44   #3
MrsKitty

Hey, if I inherited a Nikon I would use it even tho I am a Canon fan.

Why not just ask the question here? Somebody else might know the answer before Nip drops by.
Old 03-19-2008, 17:58   #4
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

F5 is a great film camera. One of best ever made.

If you like shooting film use it and enjoy it.

Used they are going for $500 or so in great condition.

I haven't shot much film in the last 5 years, but that's me.

Koak and Fuji film is still availible everywere so enjoy!

(If you travel, don't let the TSA Xray the film, ask for a hand search. The more powerful equipement can fog the film quickly)
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 20:38   #5
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
The answer is to switch to Canon.

I believe nipperwolf shoots Nikon.

Canon? Isn't that what Springfield XD owners use?
Old 03-19-2008, 23:34   #6
blueiron

My problem is that when using Kodak Tri-X b&w film in the F5, it will not expose any of the 36 frames. Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford color films expose w/o issues. The camera has been back to a Nikon service center and they see nothing wrong with it. The custom setttings have all been returned to default settings. A check with the PIP expanded guide to the F5 book showed me nothing unusual.

I went to digital years ago and can't resolve what I am doing incorrectly.
Old 03-19-2008, 23:59   #7
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I've been around photography for a couple of decades and I have to say your problem with TriX is a first.

Simple solution is stop using it. I know it is a great film with unique qualities, but it is useless to you, so you may have to move to other things.

Good luck.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-20-2008, 03:01   #8
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
My problem is that when using Kodak Tri-X b&w film in the F5, it will not expose any of the 36 frames. Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford color films expose w/o issues.
Is there some mechanism built into the container of the Tri-X that identifies itself as such to your F5? I am asking because back when I was using it, I rolled my own from long rolls, so no such thing would be possible, and because cameras I was using didn't have any such ID mechanism. If your F5 does not have such mechanism, or if your Tri-X containers do not have such mechanism, then it is logically impossible that the fault would be in the F5 side.

Did you attempt to expose the Tri-X in another camera to eliminate the possibility that it was improperly stored? Was that film all from the same batch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08   #9
nipperwolf

Quote:
My problem is that when using Kodak Tri-X b&w film in the F5, it will not expose any of the 36 frames. Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford color films expose w/o issues.
What exactly do you mean by 'won't expose'?

It won't let you shoot? It shoots, but the exposure is way off?

My N90s had a sensor in it that read the silver and black square code on the canister that would tell the camera what ISO to use. Maybe you can tape over the codes, and manually over ride it and set it ISO 400.

Have you tried Plus-X? (Do they still make it?)

Was it the Nikon service center in Mellville, NY? If not, try calling 1-800-645-6678.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I've been around photography for a couple of decades and I have to say your problem with TriX is a first.
Same here.

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS

Last edited by nipperwolf; 03-20-2008 at 11:56..
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06   #10
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Quote:
My problem is that when using Kodak Tri-X b&w film in the F5, it will not expose any of the 36 frames. Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford color films expose w/o issues. The camera has been back to a Nikon service center and they see nothing wrong with it. The custom setttings have all been returned to default settings. A check with the PIP expanded guide to the F5 book showed me nothing unusual.

I went to digital years ago and can't resolve what I am doing incorrectly.

Let try a differant approach.

Where did you get your TriX from? Is it grey market or was it poorly stored?

Check the batch numbers and see if it is all the same.

Will the TrirX expose in another camera?

Buy a few rolls from a differant supplier and check the batch numbers to make sure it is differant from the bad stuff.

Does TriX have a bar code on the film leader?

Does the F5 require a bar code to recognize the film?

Many flag ship cameras (F5, Canon 1D) need a bar code but the reader can be adjusted in the menu or through software app that connects to your computer. (But Nikon factory service should have tried that)

Post your problems on a few Nikon forums. Someone may know what's going on.

http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/
or
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1007

Dpreview is the biggest photography forum I know of. They CAN BE helpfull, but being so large they attract a lot of internet euro-trash know-it-alls, so beware. But many genius level-gurus are members so be strong and if there is a answer, it'll be there.

Good luck.
SAF

Old 03-20-2008, 12:45   #11
blueiron

The film was purchased recently from a large well known photo shop and is new stock, so it's unlikely that all the film is bad at once. The lots are not identical. Unfortunately, I don't have another film camera to verify the film in.

I loaded several rolls of the film into the camera, it loaded properly, and read the DX code and displayed the proper ISO. I didn't try pushing or pulling the ISO, because I wanted to see what it could do. The camera functioned well and displayed no anomalies in functioning. I did the same with Kodak UltraMax, some Ilford color, and a roll of Fuji Superia Xtra.

After shooting all 36 exposures in each roll, the film was removed and then taken to the same camera shop for development. None of the three came out and the tech said that the film wasn't exposed. I fired off a few more rolls and took them to the corner Walgreens for a check and they too, said the same thing. Both places were able to print the color film without a problem.

The camera went to an authorized Nikon service center [Melville is only for sales and corporate HQ - Nikon USA repairs are done in SoCal] locally and they said that it's working in perfect condition. They reset all the settings to factory default.

I wiped the DX contacts, the data back pins, and any other relevant metal contacts with a clean Q-tip and electrical contact solvent.

Again, I go out and shoot more Ultramax and Tri-X. Still no b&w exposures!

Color is fine, but I really wanted to do b&w and it bugs me that something isn't working.
Old 03-20-2008, 17:23   #12
nipperwolf

Quote:
The camera went to an authorized Nikon service center [Melville is only for sales and corporate HQ - Nikon USA repairs are done in SoCal] locally and they said that it's working in perfect condition. They reset all the settings to factory default.
Who ever told you that is wrong. Nikon has two service centers, the one in Melville, NY, and the one in El Segundo, California(it recently relocated there). I have a lens, and a body in Melville as we speak.

Was the camera looked at the actual Nikon service center, or someone who is simply an 'authorized' center?

When the Tri-X is in the camera, does the camera show ISO 400?

Were the color films you tried also ISO 400?

Have you had a chance to try taping over the canister yet?

Quote:
Ducky, NCIS
Old 03-20-2008, 17:53   #13
blueiron

The service center was an authorized Nikon service center in my state and is on the Nikon website as such. They have a pretty good reputation with Nikons around here.

The display properly reads the ISO from the film can and displays it for both color and b&w.

I didn't try taping over the can, but I will this weekend when I head out for field research and will try it when doing some macro work.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 18:03   #14
Hokie
NRA Member

If it is reading the ISO correctly I see no reason for it not to expose properly. How many rolls of Tri-X did you try? The film may have gone bad.
Old 03-20-2008, 18:15   #15
MrsKitty

Tri-X is really b/w, isn't it? TRUE b/w, not C-41 (color)? The rest were color? Did the lab process them as color? You say you took them to a Walgreens. They won't process true b/w, will they?

Last edited by MrsKitty; 03-20-2008 at 18:18..
MrsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 18:44   #16
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty5077 View Post
Tri-X is really b/w, isn't it? TRUE b/w, not C-41 (color)? The rest were color? Did the lab process them as color? You say you took them to a Walgreens. They won't process true b/w, will they?
I noticed that, too. Though not the best way to proccess B&W, C41 will do it. The problem occurs during printing. The prints will have a 'sepia' look to them.

He did mention that he took some rolls originally to a camera shop, with the same results. I think he took a few to Walgreens just to see if it was the camera shop's problem.

Because, any one serious about B&W, would never take their film to a drug store.

Quote:
Ducky, NCIS

Last edited by nipperwolf; 03-20-2008 at 18:50..
Old 03-20-2008, 19:03   #17
blueiron

I went through seven rolls and they have different lot numbers and were processed at a Walgreen's [as a check] and at a camera shop to eliminate any weak variables.

This issue has me stumped.
Old 03-20-2008, 20:28   #18
Hokie
NRA Member

The only reason I can think of at the moment for a roll of film not being exposed is if the film was not loaded properly and so was not advancing. But this is seven rolls and only with the Tri-X so I do not thing that is the problem.
Old 03-20-2008, 21:53   #19
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperwolf View Post

Because, any one serious about B&W, would never take their film to a drug store.

They would just start a darkroom in their basement.
Old 03-20-2008, 21:55   #20
MrsKitty

Quote:
I went through seven rolls and they have different lot numbers and were processed at a Walgreen's [as a check] and at a camera shop to eliminate any weak variables.

This issue has me stumped.
If they have different lots numbers than it isn't the emulsion...

That was my first thought but when I read the lot numbers part...

Have you tried some Ilford, Delta, Fuji, Agfa or other b/w? I would pick up a few rolls of something else, both brand and ISO and see what happened.