Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:12   #1
WayOutWest

Places to Shoot (Competition and other)

I am a student at the University of Kentucky and live in Lexington. I recently went to Evan's Firearms and Archery a few days ago to look at some potential firearms for my first handgun purchase when I turn 21 in august.

My main issue is that where I went to school before transferring to UK (Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia) I had several places to shoot minutes from campus because of its rural nature. I planned on joining BGSL but with its recent bans on handguns and rifles, where is a good place to shoot?

thanks,
sam

Last edited by WayOutWest; 03-21-2008 at 03:10..
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:11   #2
Gary G23

Bud's has an indoor range:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php
Gary G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:41   #3
revolver jack

Yep. Bud's in Paris is the only place I know of. I use to go there a lot prior to joining BGSL. I have not been there in a long time because BGSL PITS is where I would hang out. I expect you can still shoot at Bud's at 1/2 hour or 1 hour rates. Sometimes it is ok (not too many people shooting), some times very loud with a lot of people shooting; have a good pair of ears.

As far as BGSL is concerned, I am in wait mode; it's been about 3 weeks of closure; feels like a year. I have met a lot of very nice people there. I expect things will work out. For me, once you shoot at BGSL, you won't want to go back to Bud's unless you just have to. BGSL just rules.

Last edited by revolver jack; 03-21-2008 at 07:43.. Reason: forgot location
revolver jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05   #4
TreehugginGlock

Now it's not in the Lexington area, but just a short drive to the Louisville area (about 1+ hours) where there are several indoor ranges like Bluegrass Indoor Range in Louisville where on Tuesday and Thursday nights, we have small one stage matches (mostly IPSC style but occasionally IDPA style) and Open Range in Crestwood that sometimes hosts GSSF indoor matches (next month is the last in the Winter series of 3), but as far as multi-stage competition ranges, just slightly further down the road (under 15 miles from Bluegrass Indoor Range) in Indiana there is Silver Creek Conservation Club where we hold monthly IPSC and soon, IDPA matches. (the IDPA matches will start in April and will be held on the first Saturday of the month) Check out www.silvercreekcc.org for the event schedule. Silver Creek is great. They'll even be hosting the Indiana IPSC state match there the first part of June. You are welcome to come out and join us any time.

I know you were talking about the Lexington area, but what college guy doesn't like taking a little road trip every now and then. Plus we're so much more fun to shoot with then the Lexington crowd. Hope to see you around some time. Good luck and study hard.
TreehugginGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 17:19   #5
Rhandhali

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver jack View Post
Yep. Bud's in Paris is the only place I know of.
As far as BGSL is concerned, I am in wait mode; it's been about 3 weeks of closure; feels like a year. I have met a lot of very nice people there. I expect things will work out. For me, once you shoot at BGSL, you won't want to go back to Bud's unless you just have to. BGSL just rules.
Three weeks? More like 6, they closed everything down the first weekend in February. They're opening one of the former general-purpose ranges as a two-lane tube range on weekends only on like the 22nd, rifles only.
Rhandhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 17:33   #6
revolver jack

I was talking to a friend today. He told me that before he joined BGSL, he was a member of the Mercer County Fish and Game Club just outside of Harrrodsburg in KY. He indicated that it is just a converted farm. If you want to shoot pistols there, you have to bring your own target stand and targets. You are apparently shooting into a berm. It has been awhile since he was a member there. It use to cost $35 a year. From Lexington, I expect (guess) it might take aboout 40-45 minutes to get there. It apparently is a private club. You have to have a key. We will drive out there next week just to see exactly where it is and if we can get in to see what it is like. That's all the info I have for now.
Old 03-22-2008, 22:31   #7
WayOutWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver jack View Post
I was talking to a friend today. He told me that before he joined BGSL, he was a member of the Mercer County Fish and Game Club just outside of Harrrodsburg in KY. He indicated that it is just a converted farm. If you want to shoot pistols there, you have to bring your own target stand and targets. You are apparently shooting into a berm. It has been awhile since he was a member there. It use to cost $35 a year. From Lexington, I expect (guess) it might take aboout 40-45 minutes to get there. It apparently is a private club. You have to have a key. We will drive out there next week just to see exactly where it is and if we can get in to see what it is like. That's all the info I have for now.
Thanks, it sounds promising. Rifle and clay targets as well?

Thanks for all the info. I wouldn't mind paying for BGSL if it would just get everything back together.
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:57   #8
revolver jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutWest View Post
Thanks, it sounds promising. Rifle and clay targets as well?

Thanks for all the info. I wouldn't mind paying for BGSL if it would just get everything back together.
Harrodsburg - Mercer County Fish & Game Club Inc., Hwy. 68 West, P.O. Box 12, Harrodsburg, KY 40330.
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 yds), Muzzleloading, Trap, Airgun
Range Access: Private

Hope this helps......
Old 03-26-2008, 09:33   #9
EKUJustice

For competition check out www.practicalshooters.com
You can shoot a uspsa match 4 sundays a month within about an hrs drive from lexington.
First Sundat Is BGSL in wilmore
2nd/3rd Sunday are both over by louisville at Silvercreek/hidden hills
4th Sunday is in Bardstown at KAPS

It is usually about 15-18 bucks a match and you are there for about 3 hrs or so(shoot about 150 rounds) and is alot more fun than standing on the line at buds shooting your target
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 13:11   #10
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

There are several places you can go.

Any surrounding county should have a range, I'd think. Actually, I need to check into that myself.

I do know Mercer, Lincoln, and Boyle all have a range and are within 45- travel time. Since I go down there a lot it is practical for me.

Can you shoot at the Gorge, anyone?

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 18:50   #11
MythBuster

http://adairsportsmen.org/home.html
MythBuster is offline   Reply With Quote