SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2002, 18:06   #1
Grey Wolf
SHEEP DOG

Arrow making and cresting

I am curious as to how many of you guys make and crest your own hunting/ target arrows. I am just starting Fletching and such and seems like a fun past time. Any and all advise would be appreciated.

I would like to get into cresting but around $100 for the cresting machine is kind of high. Anyone use something else to spin the shafts while cresting? or have a working crester they would like to sell?

Later

Grey Wolf
Grey Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 15:58   #2
mikescooling

Hi I am a long time bow hunter and love it.
You said cresting when you strip an arrow or dip an arrow.
I have trouble understanding why people put paint on an arrow that dos not need to be there? But you asked about how you could do it cheep.
Do you have a 3/8 or 1/2" drill? Stick your arrow in there.
As far as tips for setting up an arrow, that's a tuff one there is to much to list. If I were just asked only about arrows I would need to know what you are shooting? Are they aluminum, carbon, maytrix ect...?
I hunt with aluminum but target shoot with carbon fiber.

Here are just some tips you might find help full.
Just start with building one arrow so you only mess up one arrow.
For a beginner get carbon arrows there tuff wont break easily.
I like the glodtips as far as carbon arrows.
Get bright colors fletchings so you can see blood and so you can find your arrow when hunting.
Get the rite glue for the right job, mainly being fletching glue.
I use hot glue for my tip inserts, then when I tune them, I just heat them with the hair drier.
To see if your arrows are true hang them from a magnet then spin them if they walk all over you have a bent arrow.
To balance your arrow, this is just to much to cover. I be hear till the cows come home
last if its possible make a friend that's into bow hunting then learn from him.
10 years hunting I still find out new tricks

when you run in to your first problem then ask.;j
mikescooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 16:35   #3
jamieray

Send a message via ICQ to jamieray Send a message via Yahoo to jamieray
i dip and crest all of my own arrows as well as about 15 other people spinning the arrows in a drill is a little to high rpm and they dont turn out as nice. i bought the cresting kit from bohing when i got statrted it comes with everything you need to get going. stick with the goldtips if you are a beginer the are tough as nails( they are made out of graphite not carbon fiber) one more tip is is better to thin your paints down more than u think u need to u get less air bubbles this way and you can always put another coat on
Old 06-13-2002, 18:07   #4
valleyz
Problem Child

Fletching Tips

I have a flat wood hasp.Before I place a vane(or feather) in the fletching jig,I take the hasp and rough up the vane where the cement goes.

After you have attached all of the fletching on the arrow,put a very small drp of cement at each end of the fletching;f
valleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:44   #5
mikescooling

I think that the bow hunters should stick to gether and not partake in the bad behavior that is to common in the other thread's.
So I'll start, I did not mean to offend anyone who strips and dips arrows, I just go thru so many. I just make them fly well, then I loose them or split them with another arrow.
Just my opinion but I like a lot of glue of my flechings all the way up, and I trim off any extra that squishes out the sides, When you get good you kinda test your self to see how many fletchings you can do without messing up.
I really like the bitzenburger fletchmaster they run $50 bucks.
I thought graphite and carbon fiber where just names for the same thing. as in woven fiberglass.
Glodtips are tough as nails.;j
mikescooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 17:23   #6
Grey Wolf
SHEEP DOG

I am not overly new to bowhunting or archery going on 6 years or so just new to the whole arrow building cresting thing. Great advice and I am definitely going to remember once my "stuff" gets here.

To explain a little; I am drawn to the allure of the homemade and crested arrow. It does not really do much besides give pride (and attention I guess) to the arrow maker. I plan on fletching all my shafts but and mostly interested in cresting (customizing) wood shafts for my Christmas gift (PSE Kudu Recurve). Kind of like keeping an old tradition alive. but then again I just need something more to do ... yeah right.

Thanks again guys.
Later
John
Grey Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:34   #7
Unruely

GW
I have been building my own wood arrows now for abot 8 years or so... It is very habit forming. I love to try different things to see how they turn out. I have built my own cresting lathe from no cost, or next to it materials. Have fun..

Martin
Big Dawg #2145,Wheelhouse #244,Rimfire #151,10 Ring #61010

"A man's got to know his limitations"
Unruely is offline   Reply With Quote