Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2008, 16:52   #1
cahilj

CT "loaded" definition

I've asked this question to several people now, both civilian and LE, and I've gotten different answers each time. What is the actual definition of a "loaded" weapon in CT? Does it mean a round in the chamber? Or a magazine in the weapon? Or rounds in a detachable magazine in the weapon? Obviously any weapon with a round in the chamber is loaded, but where does CT draw the line between loaded and unloaded? Example- is a shotgun considered loaded with rounds in the magazine tube? Or is it unloaded since the tube is non-removable?

This definition isn't in CT law (as far as I could find anyways). Although there is a small definition for "dangerous weapon", and a loaded weapon is included in it. Anyone shed any light, or do I need to call the SP? Thanks.
9- G17 G17L G26
357- G31
cahilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 17:05   #2
Douglas in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahilj View Post
I've asked this question to several people now, both civilian and LE, and I've gotten different answers each time. What is the actual definition of a "loaded" weapon in CT? Does it mean a round in the chamber? Or a magazine in the weapon? Or rounds in a detachable magazine in the weapon? Obviously any weapon with a round in the chamber is loaded, but where does CT draw the line between loaded and unloaded? Example- is a shotgun considered loaded with rounds in the magazine tube? Or is it unloaded since the tube is non-removable?

This definition isn't in CT law (as far as I could find anyways). Although there is a small definition for "dangerous weapon", and a loaded weapon is included in it. Anyone shed any light, or do I need to call the SP? Thanks.
Disclaimer:
I know nuzthink! Absolutely nuzthink!
- Sgt. Schultz (Hogan's Heros)

Logic would favor the interpretation of having any ammo residing within the firearm.
- Thus, the condition of a round being chambered or not would be immaterial.

Play it safe.

Be the good Boy Scout...BE PREPARED!
Douglas in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 19:51   #3
glockawakka

I have had this discussion with a few LEO and a State Game Warden.

All told me the same thing.

Loaded.
Round in the chamber, rounds in the magazine inserted in the firearm, Rounds in the magazine attached to the firearm (shotgun, tube fed 22s, etc).

If the magazine is loaded and not inserted in the gun and the gun's chamber is also empty the gun is unloaded.

Muzzleloaders may also have a powder charge and bullet in place, but not considered loaded untill capped with percussion/musket/shotgun primer, flintlock pan primed.
glockawakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 16:16   #4
cahilj

Thanks for the replies. I don't carry the shotgun with rounds in the magazine, but the topic came up during a conversation I was having with a few guys at the range one day, and its been bugging me ever since. Now I know.
9- G17 G17L G26
357- G31
cahilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28   #5
Tvov

I go by ammo physically separate from firearm as being unloaded.
Tvov is online now   Reply With Quote