Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:34   #1
Aceman

Ultimate HP - How to customize?

While I'm waiting on finding the funds, and the right pistol, what do you think the top three to five key mods are for an ultimate HP?

Recently I read in the general forum about the extra strength .40 frame. I really like that idea - put a 9mm barrel in the heavy duty .40 frame.

But I'm really thinking just a few simple mods...

Match Barrel
Adjustable / Night sights
Trigger / Mag safety

Maybe extended slide release, ambi safety?

What do you say...

And who would you have do it?

A simple, amazing shooting/feeling HO - what's the most for the least you could do?
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 23:42   #2
bac1023

I want one of these from Heirloom.

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/photos/SRT/
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 15:12   #3
Aceman

Well, those are all just awesome. Still doesn't answer my question. There has to be slightly cheaper/easy upgrades than all of that. For example slide top lines and stippling, while cool - don't need or want that.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 21:03   #4
Out West

I don't think the Mark III frames are different between 9mm and 40 SW. Its the slide that was beefed up for the 40 - 2 additional ounces of steel. The Mark III brought in the new cast frame with improved metallurgy. These frames can be spotted by striations at heel of the frame. The forged frames are smooth.

Out West
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28   #5
GJ1981
Pitying Fools

Top 3-5 mods? I'd say sights, trigger, in my case "No Bite" hammer, barrel, and maybe a extended safety. I'm sending my BHP out to Novak soon and this is what I plan to have done plus a few simple extras.
GJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 14:49   #6
smith10
10MM WOOOOOOT

Ultimate will mean diferent things to different people.

ON mine: stipple front strap, night sights and or CT lasergrips. Trigger job. The stock ambi safety is fine except maybe thining the base of the levers. I actually prefer the spur hammer to ring hammers.
For the hard men to get me out
smith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 17:59   #7
tshadow6

BHP upgrades

My BHP has the tiny military sights to match the tiny safety. How much should it cost to upgrade to larger night sights? Is the safety changed out easily? I want to keep the magazine disconnect, just change those two things. The weapon is 25 years old, I bought it new in 1984.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 20:32   #8
pangloss9

I would get an extended safety and ditch the ambi safety I have. I would remove the mag disconnect safety and also get a trigger job. I would replace the stock sights with better sights. I would also have beautiful wood grips and some stippling on the front strap. Lastly, maybe hard chrome the frame. I've always liked two-tone pistols.
pangloss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:18   #9
ChordsBail
.40 is the only

Send a message via MSN to ChordsBail
Unbelievable work, have you ever scene aTerry Tussey Custom? A couple months back he did 2 BHPs for the cover (and editor!) of Combat Handgunner Magazine, ,he welded on a piece of another slide from a BHP, to make it a full 1911 length BHP!! Not to mention the beautiful work he has in the guns. I think the Mercedes keychain in those pics show what bracket class you need to be in to play with 20k guns!! here Terries link www.TusseyCustom.com
ChordsBail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 20:31   #10
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith10 View Post
Ultimate will mean diferent things to different people.
Here's what my first 9mm looks like. To make my ultimate Hi Power Competition, I wouldn't change much. I'd probably just figure out why it only likes ammo going over 1150 fps (springs I guess).

The Browning Hi Power Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:19   #11
Speedrock
"To The Point"

While I'm waiting on finding the funds, and the right pistol, what do you think the top three to five key mods are for an ultimate HP?

Recently I read in the general forum about the extra strength .40 frame. I really like that idea - put a 9mm barrel in the heavy duty .40 frame.

But I'm really thinking just a few simple mods...

Match Barrel
Trigger / Mag safety

Maybe extended slide release, ambi safety?

What do you say...

And who would you have do it?

A simple, amazing shooting/feeling HO - what's the most for the least you could do?
~~~~~~~~~

Couple of points here....

A fitted Match bbl. is not a "simple" or inexpensive mod!
Assuming you're buying new, P-35's are known for having accurate OEM bbl's. assuming Belgian made. Best to see how the guns inherent accuracy is before puting out close to 1/2 the guns cost at high retail for the bbl. and hand-fitting, etc.

Many died-in-the-Wool Browning fans do not like the feel or balance of the heavier .40 model and consider the 9mm moeld "perfect" in that regard.

Personally would not have any fire-control work done on a new gun until all the parts have had time to workk-in and "seat" from use, say a minimum of 500 rounds. Trigger jobs vary wildy given who does the work and if the OEM parts are used or aftermarket items like C&S Hammers and wide triggers are used with/for it?

Excellent site for some info & research:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
to fire an accurate shot on demand will hold you back
in Mastering every other skill you need to acquire.
J. Michael Plaxco
Speedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 13:33   #12
jaysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
My BHP has the tiny military sights to match the tiny safety. How much should it cost to upgrade to larger night sights? Is the safety changed out easily? I want to keep the magazine disconnect, just change those two things. The weapon is 25 years old, I bought it new in 1984.

I would sell it to a collector and buy a used MK III. Disable the mag disconnect, have a trijicon tube installed in the factory front sight, paint over white outlines on rear sight, polish the rear of the factory safety levers and have someone polish trigger/sear contact surfaces.

Unless a world class shooter, a match barrel would be a waste of money. The BHP platform will never be a target gun.

Shoot the gun a couple of thousand rounds and see if there is anything else that you need. At this point, the only thing I would suggest would be front/rear strap stippling or pachmyer wraparound rubber grips.
jaysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:58   #13
JohnJak
sadly spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

+ 1000 Jason does a great job.
Old 09-20-2009, 16:48   #14
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

Bac, I thought you sent your new(er) HP to Heirloom for the SRT package.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 14:31   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
Bac, I thought you sent your new(er) HP to Heirloom for the SRT package.
Cobra, I bought that custom from Leckie for now.

The Browning Hi Power Club

I'll probably send one of my others to Heirloom at some point.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52   #16
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

1. Sights: nightsights or gold bead front or tritum fiber optic; or widen the rear notch on the older sights
2. Grips, thin navridex from Brownell's
3. Smooth trigger action
4. More magazines
5. Reloading equipment and more factory ammo
John Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 16:26   #17
ADK

My own observations, YMMV:
If you're shooting 9mm the standard forged frame will do fine.

As others have said, you really don't need a match barrel in the BHP...a standard barrel shoots about 3" at 25yds depending on the ammo. A match barrel may get you down to 1.75" to 2"...if you're a top notch shooter. Personally, I wouldn't waste the money; save it for ammo to practice with.

Adjustable sights? I personally don't care for them, especially if you're setting up the pistol for defensive carry.

Night sights: some like 'em some don't. Count me in the don't category. I prefer a serrated black front sight with a gold dot or gold line paired with a serrated black Heinie rear opened to 0.140". The gold dot/line will pick enough ambient light to assist picking up the front sight...if the gold doesn't pick up the front sight you need a flashlight to ensure that you can properly see your target.

Mag disconnect: if you're setting up the pistol for defensive purposes, I highly recommend having it removed in conjunction with a trigger job. I personally recommend Don Williams at The Action Works or Cylinder & Slide.

Extended slide release: don't bother. You don't want your thumb accidentally hitting it and inducing a malfunction.

Ambi safety? Unless you're a lefty or participate in competition, I recommend a strong side only. You can still manipulate the strong-side safety with your weak hand if necessary.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40   #18
JBJ16

Years ago I saw on American Handgunner magazine a BHP with a full beavertail ala 1911 welded/built into the frame. IMHO it would be an excellent mod. I would like a BHP with that mod and a trigger job.
Old 02-16-2010, 20:07   #19
vmr357

Send a message via AIM to vmr357 Send a message via Yahoo to vmr357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post

... I'm really thinking just a few simple mods...

Match Barrel
Trigger / Mag safety

Maybe extended slide release, ambi safety? ...
I don't know that I'd go for the match barrel as my first option. I have two HPs, one with a Bar-Sto barrel and the other with a stock barrel. I have to be careful what I try to shoot in the Bar-Sto barrel. The chamber is tighter. This may improve accuracy, but it cuts down reliability. Are you looking for a carry gun or a target gun?

Night sights are nice, so are Hi-Viz sights. My "target" gun has a white front post and a S&W rear sight. I quite like the rear sights, not so sure about the front sight. My "business" gun has Novak fixed sights. I like them because they look like they belong on the gun. The front sight also has a gold bead, however the white dots are just as good. You want something to catch your eye.

The Browning trigger isn't the problem, it's the magazine disconnect. Remove it. That will make the trigger a lot better. They do make wide triggers, but I don't know why. No. 1 modification: Remove the magazine disconnect. (a.k.a., magazine safety)

I'd replace the hammer if it looks like it will bite you. You should probably replace the sear if you replace the hammer.

Replace the recoil spring with an 18 1/2 pound spring if you're going for a carry gun. Go for a 26-30 lb. hammer spring if it's a target gun. Leave the factory 32 lb spring in the gun if it's a carry gun.

If it's an older model, before the Mark II, have the ramp refinished to feed hollow-point ammo.

That's my two cents and more.

Vern
Old 04-04-2010, 14:31   #20
chance3290
Fear Dli

As far at the a match barrel, I'd ask why. Its not cheap and do you really need it? (Of course, how much of the stuff we do to guns is really 'needed').
New sights, new hammer, disconnect the mag safety and take a few hundred rounds to the range see how it feels. My 2 cents.
I had Jim Garthwaite do some work on my 40 and it looks good.

Last edited by chance3290; 04-04-2010 at 14:35..
chance3290 is offline   Reply With Quote