Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2014, 20:26   #1
TheLastDaze

Reloading still worth it ??

With ammo prices still outrageous I was curious how hard its hit all you guys that reload.. Do you still come out ahead of factory prices..

Is it even worth reloading 9mm or 40 cal anymore?

I can see where specialty loads come in play heavily, but common reloads worth it??

Ninja Glock, future infrared scope/accessoriesSPF
2 Turtle Doves SOLD!

Last edited by TheLastDaze; 06-16-2014 at 22:18..
TheLastDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 20:35   #2
GRR

I can reload for half or less of the cheapest factory loads AND I can control the power factor to what I want for competition.
GRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 20:39   #3
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

You reload because:
(1) You can save money (you save less if you use jacketed rounds)
(2) You can increase accuracy and/or tailor the power
(3) You can assemble ammo when there is none to buy.

You save the most money reloading lead rounds (more if you cast your own, less if you buy them) and even plated are cheaper than jacketed.
Old 06-16-2014, 21:14   #4
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Of course, any sort of savings is predicated upon actually finding components.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 21:14   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRR View Post
I can reload for half or less of the cheapest factory loads AND I can control the power factor to what I want for competition.
^this^
I can reload anything for a minimum of 50% of cheap factory. Reloading allows me to shoot more, better developing my skills. I can also control the power of my ammo. So if I want to shoot less thn full power 44mag, I cam make them. I truly do not know how anyone can become a really good shooter shooting onl factory ammo, unless they are rich, sponsored shooters or govt employees.
Ammo & components will/are coming back. Just don't expect 2012 prices.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 06-17-2014 at 01:20..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:06   #6
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Never saved money but shoot a whole lot more for the same amount.
Tailor the ammo for me. I like reloading, it is fun.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:05   #7
sourdough44

It's a HOBBY, reloading doesn't have to be a money saver. Some guys go fishing, others golf, a few like reloading. It's as simple as that to me.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20   #8
NMG26

I almost never buy ammo. I'm tempted every now and then but pass when I see the price. Yes it is less expensive. It just takes a little time, and experience brings confidence.

I use a hand held Lee press..........under 40 bucks. Lee Carbide die set........50 bucks or so. Whatever powder you can find that is listed on the die set jacket......20 bucks. 1000 primers.........20 bucks. 500 lead bullets........60 dollars shipped.

So you get started for under 200 dollars. After that the cost goes down from there. Get primers, powder, and bullets as you need them. I use range brass.

Have fun, give it a whirl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01   #9
Colorado4Wheel

I shot factory ammo the other day. First time in YEARS. I did not buy it but it still felt weird.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:28   #10
colin1230

Without a doubt, reloading is worth it! At least 50% savings and even more buying in bulk. I like reloading as a hobby but more important is the fact that it allows me more control over my ammo supply of various calibers. When times are tough I keep right on shooting.
colin1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:17   #11
JP22

If you have to ask, don't do it. Some 30+ years ago before the internet, I decided it was cheaper and something I wanted to do as a hobby. Didn't need to run it by a bunch of strangers.

Sorry, but this question comes up all the time.
JP22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58   #12
my_old_glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDaze View Post
With ammo prices still outrageous I was curious how hard its hit all you guys that reload.. Do you still come out ahead of factory prices..

Is it even worth reloading 9mm or 40 cal anymore?

I can see where specialty loads come in play heavily, but common reloads worth it??

Back in the 1990's when 9mm surplus ammo was cheap, it wasn't worth it to reload for just plinking or target blasting.

If you use lead instead of jacketed bullets you can save more money when reloading, but you are not suppose to shoot lead from a Glock barrel.

It still is cheaper if you can find components, especially powder, for 9mm and 40 S&W. You also have to factor in your time. If you can work overtime at a paying job for two hours and make enough to buy ammo, it would be better than sitting in front of a reloading press for two hours making ammo.

You can save a lot of money if you reload non-military and/or non-police cartridges. Police and military cartridges are 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 223, 308WIN, 12 Gauge, and sometimes 30-06. Surplus 30-06 is getting harder to find.

Last edited by my_old_glock; 06-17-2014 at 12:09..
my_old_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 13:11   #13
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

[QUOTE=sourdough44;21310043]It's a HOBBY, reloading doesn't have to be a money saver. Some guys go fishing, others golf, a few like reloading. It's as simple as that to me.[/QUOTE

I do all three

......and reloading saves me tons of money, lest me shoot more often and not ever feel any shortages in the ammo supply.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 13:29   #14
dkf

Well cheapest I can find .357sig factory ammo online is $20 per 50 plus shipping. Brick and mortar stores usually sell it for around $30+ per 50. I can reload my previously fired brass for $7.50-$8.00 per 50. That is with jacketed bullets, with my own cast bullets cut that price per 50 by at least half.

The savings is even more for say .44magnum or some of the more exotic rounds like .458 socom.

Yeas equipment costs money however it can pay for itself rather quickly depending on what you buy and how much you shoot. Also don't forget that your reloading equipment has value and can be sold if need be.

Last edited by dkf; 06-17-2014 at 13:31..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 13:33   #15
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
It's a HOBBY, reloading doesn't have to be a money saver.
It is a CHORE to me. Been doing it since 1977.
Old 06-17-2014, 15:03   #16
garyjandfamily

Another reason to reload - quality control

Recently I was taking a four-day pistol class at Front Sight in Nevada. The instructors warned us that they had seen a marked increase in the number of squib loads (no powder) in factory ammo during the ammo shortage. There were 36 of students shooting 600 rounds each, and we had at least two squib load incidents in the class. And Front Sight doesn't allow reloads.

100% of my reloads are visually inspected for powder. I don't have squibs problems with my reloads...

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 16:18   #17
F106 Fan

Yes, there is a ton of money to save by reloading but the problem is getting supplies. Bullets are generally available, primers are difficult but powder is nearly impossible to find.

I really can't see any purpose in getting started with reloading without a source of components.

Richard
Old 06-17-2014, 19:01   #18
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_old_glock View Post
It still is cheaper if you can find components, especially powder, for 9mm and 40 S&W. You also have to factor in your time. If you can work overtime at a paying job for two hours and make enough to buy ammo, it would be better than sitting in front of a reloading press for two hours making ammo.

I hear this all the time, but unless you are loading on a ss press & make less than $50/hr, your time is better spent reloading than working. Just buy better gear.
Consider my total time to produce 700rds of 45acp is one hour, yes one hour on my 650. That includes filling primer tubes & emptying the brass from the tumbler. So I save a min of $20/100 using 230gr PRN. That is $140/hr NET! I would have to make about $220/hr gross to net $140/hr. Nope, my time isn't that valuable, I doubt most guys/gals make even close to that.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 06-17-2014 at 19:02..
Old 06-17-2014, 19:04   #19
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjandfamily View Post
And Front Sight doesn't allow reloads.

100% of my reloads are visually inspected for powder. I don't have squibs problems with my reloads...
Well they don't allow it, doesn't mean guys don't sneak them in. I have had one squib with a factory round in the last 35yrs, pretty rare IMO.
Old 06-17-2014, 19:47   #20
RonS

Best day in the world is one where the temperature is right, the humidity down and I can turn on some classical music in the garage and handload some ammo. I find it very relaxing and satisfying to turn a tub of dirty, empty brass into useful ammunition in neat rows in MTM ammo boxes. Plus, when you develop a load, you have to go test it. And testing it means paying attention to your shooting, keeping records, thinking about the gun, the ammo and your shooting. That makes for a satisfying range trip, not just blowing some lead down range for the sake of wearing down the backstop a bit.