Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:08   #1
btefft
U S Veteran

Maybe I didn't mess up - I put Large Pistol Primers in 45-70 reloads.

Having no Large Rifle Primers at the time I was reloading 300 gr bullets into my 45-70 cases, and I used Large PISTOL primers. I did some internet research and it seems like I'm ok, because these are not "hot" reloads (and shouldn't burn through the LPP). Some said that due to the longness of a 45-70 case, LRP's are preferred because they produce a longer flame, thus getting better ignition.

Anyway, I loaded 25 cases with 36.2 gr of IMR 4198 (should get around 1666 fps) and 25 cases 55 gr of IMR 4064 (should get around 1611 fps).

I don't consider these to be "hot" reloads (more like low mid-range). I figured to leave the LPP's in. I'll be shooting them out of my Ruger #1, for sure, and maybe my Marlin 1895 GG, too.

Well, wouldn't you know it, today I dropped by my LGS and I was able to buy 3K LRP.

Dog-gone-it, I don't want to pull those 50 bullets and start over. I read that a LPP is a tad shorter than a LRP, but I trust the firing pins of the #1 and GG will be able to strike them.

So now, I'm thinking that I'll just go ahead and shoot the LPP loaded cases. Only downside I see is maybe some FTF's.

What do you reloaders think? Anyone ever loaded LPP's in lieu of LRP's?
btefft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:59   #2
fredj338

I used to load really light 45-70 using Unique & it didn't matter if I used pistol or rifle, but those were maybe 20Kpsi. The worst case scenario is your firing pin may pierce the cup, but only way to know is try one. It's not a pressure issue though, not at low end 45-70 loads.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 13:11   #3
btefft
U S Veteran

Thanks for replying fred. Like you said, the only way to know is to shoot one.

Out of curiosity, do you remember the recipe you used for Unique. I was thinking 10-12 gr under a 300 gr bullet.

Last edited by btefft; 05-06-2015 at 13:28..
Old 05-06-2015, 15:40   #4
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I only use large pistol primers in the 45-70. They provide a "gentler" ignition with black powder and show definite reductions in extreme spread with those loads.

No problemo.
Old 05-06-2015, 16:16   #5
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
I only use large pistol primers in the 45-70. They provide a "gentler" ignition with black powder and show definite reductions in extreme spread with those loads.

No problemo.
Many a BPCR competitor uses large pistol primers in his or her loads,of course ignition is usually not a problem with the big heavy hammers of a Sharps or Roller. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 05-06-2015 at 16:17.. Reason: spelling
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 20:01   #6
btefft
U S Veteran

Thanks, guys.