GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2008, 21:44   #61
Helms

I just got a bunch of MM brass (south african) in 9mm and it is crimped HARDCORE. Way worse than any NATO/ military stuff I have ever seen. Stay away from this in 9mm if they all have this ridiculous crimp on the primer.
Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:31   #62
NOCM
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms View Post
OH- and before anyone asks, might want to list wolf and all aluminum "brass" as JUNK not to be reloaded.
I think it was Guns and Ammo Mag that just did an article on reloading aluminum and steel cases... They reported that it was ok to use it a couple times and they had no problems as long as it is primed correctly (berdan/boxer)
NOCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 21:26   #63
Helms

I'll have to look at that article if I get a chance. I do like my dies, though and it doesnt sound like they factored in possible die damage from reloading that stuff.

Id also like to know what they were shooting. Some stuff might be worth the risk, but high pressure cartridges would have me puckered pretty good.
Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 13:59   #64
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Ran across some more headstamps, good or bad?? Company?? Feel free to add to list.

C()J
L()Y
One looks like a circle with an i through it
Para at top, triangle shape at bottom
That is just about the ONLY 9mm brass I will not reload, that and Amerc.
Very loose primer pockets, many of the range pickups allready had the spent primer fall out.

Compared to that crap, S&B is awesome!
Snug primer pocket, but very reloadable IMHO.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 19:20   #65
Many9's

All of the info below applies to 9 mm and .357/.38 sp which are all I have experience with.

Winchester is head stamped WIN. Winchester military brass (9mm) is head stamped WCC (Winchester Cartridge Company)

I've had very good results with Speer in both plain and Ni plated form in 9 mm.

FC is Federal Cartridge. It's been fine in 9 mm and .38 Sp.

AMERC, as noted, is indeed JUNK.

S&B is problematic. I don't bother with their stuff with red lacquer around the primers. I assume they are crimped.

NT means "nontoxic", i.e. uses lead-free primers. Apparently the flash holes are different diameter from standard brass and it's considered non-reloadable. Maybe by now someone has figured out how to use it.
Many9's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 21:20   #66
G10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERBACK32 View Post
Was the headstamp * SPEER* OR SPEER ?
To be totally onest I don't remember !!!

- Ronald Reagan
G10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 22:07   #67
Orlando Eric

About five years ago I was loading S&B 45's by the bucket loads! I remember there was a hard pull the first time you knocked out the sealed primers but after that it weas smooth sailing.

The local shop was the cheapest around selling the S&B so it was once fired brass.

I have loaded a few thousand S&B 40's and have not had a major problem yet.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:03   #68
MisterLady27

Amerc Brass - A Confirmation

Hello All,

1. I've seen many comments regarding the "junkness" of Amerc brass over the course of the last year, but didn't think much about it. Until last Tuesday at the cold and windy range.

2. The girls and friends were shooting some 9mm Tuesday and several of my reloads didn't go into battery. So we took the opportunity and had a lesson in stoppage reduction. And when I looked at the several rounds that didn't chamber they were all Amerc. Huh! Stock G17 barrel BTW, and all run through Beautiful Blue.

3. Comments anyone???

ML27
MisterLady27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 13:58   #69
MustangGreg66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLady27 View Post
Hello All,

1. I've seen many comments regarding the "junkness" of Amerc brass over the course of the last year, but didn't think much about it. Until last Tuesday at the cold and windy range.

2. The girls and friends were shooting some 9mm Tuesday and several of my reloads didn't go into battery. So we took the opportunity and had a lesson in stoppage reduction. And when I looked at the several rounds that didn't chamber they were all Amerc. Huh! Stock G17 barrel BTW, and all run through Beautiful Blue.

3. Comments anyone???

ML27
Hmm, reading this I was just thinking about what dies you're using. Dillion dies size the case all the way down to get out any bulging in the case, or the Lee factory crimp die that comes in their 4 die sets also sizes the full case all the way down to eliminate any bulging and assure that rounds will chamber.

I was going to test this out myself. I don't have any of this Amerc brass (I don't think), but I'd noticed some bulged cases from some CCI brass I'd shot in my G35. Loading on the dillion I just kinda feed it any case that I come accross, but I was going to try to find some of the CCI brass in my pile and inspect the bulge as it goes through the stages...
MustangGreg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:32   #70
VonFatman

I agree---S&B gets pitched...the primer pockets drive me crazy.

I used to buy PMP cheap...bought several thousand rounds before I started reloading and have reloaded the brass for years...some of the best .45 ACP brass I've ever used.

I like IMI

I HATE military surplus .45 ACP and .38 Special...it gets pitched into the recycle box....primer pockets too tight like S&B.

Good thread.

Bob
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40   #71
Bert.40

It doesn't matter how far down you can resize AMERC you will still get bad ones, maybe not on the first reload. But I'm betting you don't get a second. At least in .40 cal. I was told to anneal the AMERC before reloading; but figured it's just a waste of time for a dozen or so brass. Picking up range brass and buying once fired brass is the only place I get AMERC. Funny thing I've never seen AMERC on any store shelves. Where do they come from, other then China?

I don't have a problem with Federal in my .40; but friends complain about them in 9mm.

Another bad one I came across was with a headstamp PA RH, or it might have been PA RCH. I started pitching them also.

When picking up range brass or coming across unknown brass; use a caliper and check the OAL. One of the mistakes beginner reloaders make is never checking the OAL. Most of the time I lose my brass or it gets a defect before it reaches max OAL. Still, check it.
Old 04-19-2008, 13:49   #72
G10mm

[QUOTE=Bert.40;10319177]It doesn't matter how far down you can resize AMERC you will still get bad ones, maybe not on the first reload. But I'm betting you don't get a second. At least in .40 cal. I was told to anneal the AMERC before reloading; but figured it's just a waste of time for a dozen or so brass. Picking up range brass and buying once fired brass is the only place I get AMERC. Funny thing I've never seen AMERC on any store shelves. Where do they come from, other then China?

I don't have a problem with Federal in my .40; but friends complain about them in 9mm.

Your right I havent seen it on store shelves ether .The million dollor question is where is this junk comming from?????

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by G10mm; 04-19-2008 at 19:57..
G10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 18:36   #73
Bert.40

I don't have any problem with Speer. But I have to reset my dies, basically the crimp die.
Old 04-19-2008, 19:37   #74
VN350X10

Guys, the answer to "Where is the A-Merc coming from?"

Answer......

It is sold by "Cheaper Than Dirt" & a couple of other mail-order houses, I think that Gary Olen up in Minn. sells it on occasion.
But the majority of it comes from CTD.
I've never seen it in any retail store or gunshop.
Too bad that they sell so much of it & the real problem is that it is advertised as being boxer primed & RELOADABLE !

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 23:36   #75
MustangGreg66

Well I had my first official encounter with AMERC brass today. I've been picking a bunch of left over brass from the range and today went to reload some of it in my Dillion 550, in 45 ACP. I was using Rainier 200gr RN and I guess the case was short and didn't hit the powder die/case bell thing enough so when I went to seat the bullet, it didn't get inside the case all the way and the case basically peeled the jacket off the bullet.

To be fair, I didn't have the powder die down enough and this happened a few other times with some other brass types before I adjusted the die. BUT it just happened to be AMERC that it did that on first. I had 4 other AMERC rounds that went through just fine, but I weeded them out anyway. So far I've got 5 AMERC cases in 45 acp out of maybe 5-600 I've pulled off the range floor. Not bad, I'm glad its not as popular here

Also, with the S&B brass, is it mainly loading it from factory ammo that's the issue. I grabbed almost 100 cases from the range that looked like they'd been reloaded already, they'd marked the primer in red marker. some other S&B got mixed into my mixed brass and went through the dillion fine, primer pockets were a bit tight, but it seemed to all run smoothly. Is 45 diffrent than other calibers for this manufacturer, or do you think these pockets have already been swaged?

Last edited by MustangGreg66; 04-19-2008 at 23:40..
MustangGreg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 16:05   #76
VN350X10

The red marker on the primer just might be the factory sealant !
I look for them, as I've never had any problems with S&B brass in any caliber I've used it.
And their .45 ACP brass is at least as good as Rem & I like it better than Federal.
It's still not Winchester, but Win is usually my first pick except for 9mm.

uncle albert
Old 04-27-2008, 16:38   #77
djkeebz

Send a message via AIM to djkeebz
I have some .223 that has a "H C 5.56" headstamp. Has anyone ever reloaded this before. I got it from a friend after we were shooting it out of his AR. It was in Mil-Surp type boxes, was brass cases and cleaned up nice after I tumbled it. Just wondering if anyone knows what this is or if I should attempt to reload it or not?
djkeebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 19:17   #78
VN350X10

Suggest you look inside the case with a strong light.
If there is a single hole, it should be reloadable.
If there are multiple holes, it's Berdan primed & not reloadable by normal means & should be considered scrap.
Sorry, but I've not seen that headstamp, so this is the only suggestion I have.

uncle albert
Old 04-29-2008, 13:53   #79
djkeebz

Send a message via AIM to djkeebz
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
Suggest you look inside the case with a strong light.
If there is a single hole, it should be reloadable.
If there are multiple holes, it's Berdan primed & not reloadable by normal means & should be considered scrap.
Sorry, but I've not seen that headstamp, so this is the only suggestion I have.

uncle albert
It has a single hole. I guess i will try a few out and see how they hold up.
djkeebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 17:34   #80
Sgt Hickk
Sgt Hickk

S & B Brass

Hi everyone...just thought ya would like to know that I just primed up 500 S&B cases in 45 ACP...didn't have no even one primer problem..all loaded just fine ( Good Brass )
Sgt Hickk is offline   Reply With Quote