Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:38   #121
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
I think you should remove Speer from the not as good section!
Several of the "not as good" are just fine reloading brass
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. ... Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible instrument of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Tench Coxe 1788.
Apocalypse_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40   #122
HiredGun77

Brass varies batch to batch. Lots if you will. I have had Remington, Winchester and Starline that failed at a 60% rate on it's first firing. in 40S&W and 10MM those failures were body splits and severe smilies even with very mild loads. A different batch all worked ffine even with max loads and have gone 20 firings. i don't retire pistol brass until it gets a case mouth crack. 357 and 44 magnum brass doesn't last near as long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Custom Rifles - NIC Certified Cerakote Applicator
HiredGun77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 15:04   #123
target4fun

PPU brass in 45 is garbage it stalls up my machine every time as does FC marked brass. I would stay away from these just as you would Amerc brass.

PPU may be okay in other cal's but not in 45 ... it jammed my machine every single time!
target4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 15:26   #124
gary newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by target4fun View Post
PPU brass in 45 is garbage it stalls up my machine every time as does FC marked brass. I would stay away from these just as you would Amerc brass.

PPU may be okay in other cal's but not in 45 ... it jammed my machine every single time!
FC is Federal Cartridge: I've had no problems with Federal brass in .45 ACP/GAP.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 00:20   #125

The Monarch brand stuff you can get at Academy Sports has the PPU headstamp, does that mean it is Prvi Partizan with another name on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:16   #126
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
I'm having trouble reloading my .32-.380 brass...

I think I see your problem . . .

Reloading

You've done the conversion backward; 'sposed to neck down the .380 to .32, not the other way around.

380Seecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:34   #127
VN350X10

Might be easier to reload if the bullet was big enough to hold without using tweezers....

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 13:22   #128
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
I'm having trouble reloading my .32-.380 brass...

Here's the correct ammo for your .32-380:

Reloading

I had a "Homer Simpson" moment after reading your post, and came up with this .32-380 Auto Wildcat Cartridge.

Old 11-23-2008, 19:31   #129
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Now THAT is great followup!!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 23:08   #130
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380Seecamp View Post

Here's the correct ammo for your .32-380:

Reloading

I had a "Homer Simpson" moment after reading your post, and came up with this .32-380 Auto Wildcat Cartridge.

You are wrong in so many ways!!!

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 23:10   #131
VN350X10

Bet the headspace is tight !
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 00:45   #132
JML2365

I got received a couple handfulls of NNY, NPA and CBC brass mixed in a lot of 2500 9mm casings I recently bought. I tried to reload them for "lost brass matches" and I gave up and tossed them. The primers were really tight and some of them would not go in. I am loading with a Dillon SQB with Remington primers.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16   #133
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML2365 View Post
I got received a couple handfulls of NNY, NPA and CBC brass mixed in a lot of 2500 9mm casings I recently bought. I tried to reload them for "lost brass matches" and I gave up and tossed them. The primers were really tight and some of them would not go in. I am loading with a Dillon SQB with Remington primers.

The Hansen (nny) brass in 9mm (late 1980s manufacture) has a small flash hole that has pulled the decapping pin out of my RCBS Rock Chucker press more than once. While the quality of the brass appears to be good otherwise, I don't reload this brand any more.

I have one other case in 9mm headstamped "RA 68" that had a small flash hole and stole my deprimer out of the press; don't have a large quantity of this stuff to tell whether this one was a fluke or not. It appears to have a military crimp on the primer pocket as well.

Never had a problem with Magtech (CBC) brass; in fact, I gave all I had in .45 Auto to a friend when he got started reloading. This brand is common at one of the ranges I visit (when I'm not shooting at my own gun club). I've bought 5 gallon buckets of mixed brass from them in the past, so I've used a bit of CBC brass over the years without problem.

I found this web site interesting with regard to headstamp codes:

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57   #134
Charly

I am also a fan of CBC brass (Magtech) which I am using in priority to the rest I have in 9mm
Niner's #18
G1 Niner #51
Big Dawg#628
Wheelhouse member #129
Rimfire #34
Charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 00:54   #135
JML2365

I had one of the primers not want to go in the CBC brass and I had already gotten frustrated so to say with the other brands and I only had 5 or 6 CBC cases I just chucked them. In all I chucked about 15 cases total.
Old 12-16-2008, 21:25   #136
novaDAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
Winchester (Winchester, WIN, WCC?)
WCC actually stands for Western Cartridge Company, which is also found on military brass.

Winchester also can have a "W-W" headstamp, which stands for "winchester - Western" since winchester bought out western ammo.

I have some "peters" brass which I assume is old, because that is what the "P" stands for in remington's current "R-P" headstamp.
novaDAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 21:53   #137
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380Seecamp View Post
The Hansen (nny) brass in 9mm (late 1980s manufacture) has a small flash hole that has pulled the decapping pin out of my RCBS Rock Chucker press more than once. While the quality of the brass appears to be good otherwise, I don't reload this brand any more.

I have one other case in 9mm headstamped "RA 68" that had a small flash hole and stole my deprimer out of the press; don't have a large quantity of this stuff to tell whether this one was a fluke or not. It appears to have a military crimp on the primer pocket as well.
All my Remington brass in .357 Sig pull out my decapping pin. They're marked R-P.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 23:30   #138
whenmonkeysfly
CLM Number 249
Charter Lifetime Member

Lapua also seems to be excellent brass! (Limited pistol brass).

Last edited by whenmonkeysfly; 01-09-2009 at 23:39..
whenmonkeysfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34   #139
txbonds

Just went though a box of .38 special brass during depriming/sizing and have a mixture of winchester, wcc and bha.

If the wcc is western cartridge and the bha is black hills, are these two considered to be in the good or bad category? I gathered the winchester was good from posts above, but didn't see anything on black hills and noticed someone pointed out wcc was western and not winchester.

Also, I've got some silver cartridges stamped R-P but they are at least 20 years old or more I'm guessing as they were my grandfathers. I shot the rounds the other day at the range and picked them up, but can't tell the material. They are lighter than the other brass. Best to avoid these and pitch in the recycle bin?
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13   #140
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Just went though a box of .38 special brass during depriming/sizing and have a mixture of winchester, wcc and bha.

If the wcc is western cartridge and the bha is black hills, are these two considered to be in the good or bad category? I gathered the winchester was good from posts above, but didn't see anything on black hills and noticed someone pointed out wcc was western and not winchester.

Also, I've got some silver cartridges stamped R-P but they are at least 20 years old or more I'm guessing as they were my grandfathers. I shot the rounds the other day at the range and picked them up, but can't tell the material. They are lighter than the other brass. Best to avoid these and pitch in the recycle bin?
WCC is good stuff - mil, I think. BHA is fine, too. The R-P is probably just nickle Remington-Peters brass. I don't think they had aluminum back then. Look down into the case. If there's only one charge hole you're good to go. If two, recycle it.

Remember, low pressure cartridges like .38 SPL can be reloaded until the mouths split.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote