Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:25   #1
drunyon

Non-Resident Permit Question

Hoping a Utah Glocker may be able to help me out.

I applied for a non-resident Utah CCW permit in early January. They received it on January 9th. The Utah BCI processed my credit card for the fee(s) on January 10th.
The BCI website says applicants should get their permit within 60 days and not to call for a status check until the 60 days had passed. To date, I have not recieved my permit and it has been 60 days.

Before I call and potentially piss someone off and delay the process even more, I thought I'd check to see if the current processing time was a little longer than the quoted 60 days.

Thank in advance for any insight.
drunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:37   #2
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
I read that BCI is getting over three hundred applications a day since the Trolley Square shootings. Your application was in well before that, of course. Still, I'd bet things are Charlie Foxtrot down there right now. I'd give them a little more time, less they decide to moe your applicatio to the bottom of the pile.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40   #3
UtahIrishman
BLR

I'm going from memory so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they are swamped. Not only with non-resident permits but residence ones as well. After the Trolley Square shootings there was quite a surge in resident permit applications.

Nonetheless since 60 days have passed I don't think it would hurt to give them a call. Everyone I've talked to there has always been helpful. They should be able to at least give you a time frame on your permit.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:48   #4
Sambolijah

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall the application mentioning "if it's been more than 60 days, go ahead and call, but not before 60 days."
Something like that.
It wouldn't hurt to call them.

Apparently they will be receiving more funding soon, according to a bill that was passed during the most recent legislative session.

So with that additional funding, hopefully that will expedite the process.
Old 03-11-2007, 14:21   #5
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Yeah, cool your jets. Calling and hassling folks distracts them from issuing permits.
Old 03-11-2007, 14:28   #6
GixxerSixxer
Phil Deez Nutz

I thought their internal goal was to get a persons paperwork process in 60 days.

State law says that they must approve or deny a person within 90 days. They give themselves a 30 day buffer.

You've got <30 more days to wait before making a call.

My permit took 87 days from paperwork submission to receiving the card in the mail. You want to really go nuts try apply for a NFA item and get attitude from an ATF phone operater when you ask them to do their job.
GixxerSixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:04   #7
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally posted by Sambolijah
I might be wrong, but I seem to recall the application mentioning "if it's been more than 60 days, go ahead and call, but not before 60 days."
That is correct.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:41   #8
drunyon

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

I think I'll give it a little longer...especially given the surge of recent applications and their understaffing.

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2007, 23:03   #9
wthomas

I turned my application in before Christmas and it didn't get here until last week. I think it ended up being around 80 days.
wthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 23:37   #10
sickboy013

I'm still waiting for mine too. I turned it in mid-january. They said it was a 10 week wait. Boooo. At least I got it in before the whole Trolley Square thing.
sickboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 13:34   #11
Bigsteve

Sent my application in on Jan 3rd, They probably received on Jan 5th. I got the card on Wed March 21st. Exactly 11 weeks from the date I sent it or 75 days from when they probably received it. Hope that helps!
Bigsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 18:52   #12
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
I have a question about a UT permit application. I've looked around everywhere I can think. What's the deadline after you take the class to send the application in? I mean some states if you wait 6 months or a year after the class, you have to start all over and take the class again. I'm wanting to get a UT NR permit.

Old 03-22-2007, 19:16   #13
sickboy013

IIRC, it is 90 days from taking the class. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it is.
Old 03-22-2007, 19:39   #14
g5reality

Utah Permit relpy time

I sent my paperwork out to Utah and it was signed for on January 3, 2007. It just came in the mail today. You should get yours in the next week. I called and they are overwhelmed with requests after the mall shooting. Mine took a total of 77 days.

G5
g5reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07   #15
sickboy013

I hope mine will be here soon. I am currently at 65 days. Ten more days or so, I hope! Then I will be...
Old 03-23-2007, 14:56   #16
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Quote:
Originally posted by sickboy013
IIRC, it is 90 days from taking the class. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it is.
Well I just called Utah BCI, and was told the cutoff is 6 Months. Looks like I'll have to retake the class to get my nonresident permit.

Old 03-30-2007, 17:56   #17
drunyon

**Update**

I received my permit today (3/30). I mailed it 1/6.

I was a little surprised to read the letter that came with it. It sort of gave the indication they were issuing the permit without knowing the results of the FBI fingerprint check. Seemed kind of odd.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 03-30-2007, 20:16   #18
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:
Originally posted by drunyon
**Update**

I received my permit today (3/30). I mailed it 1/6.

I was a little surprised to read the letter that came with it. It sort of gave the indication they were issuing the permit without knowing the results of the FBI fingerprint check. Seemed kind of odd.
Thanks again for all the info.
I think they send out one of those letters with every permit. I've gotten those letters when I first got my permit and when I renewed. I think it's kind of a CYA thing for them in case something is uncovered down the road that they missed.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 14:44   #19
Torontogunguy

I am confused here. I am a US/Canadian citizen. Took class in November last year and got permit shortly thereafter (it had fallen thru the cracks and took a few calls). My friend (Canadian) applied at the same time and received back a few weeks ago a letter saying that the issue of granting permits to non residents was under review. Got back his application and all forms. And a check. Wondering if he should just reapply ensuring that all documents are present, to Utah BCI. Or if he should consider it a lost cause at this point? Suggestions?

I am thinking of suggesting to him that he look at Maine or NH first.

Thoughts?
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41   #20
bjnsunnyotsego

Non Resident permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunyon View Post
Hoping a Utah Glocker may be able to help me out.

I applied for a non-resident Utah CCW permit in early January. They received it on January 9th. The Utah BCI processed my credit card for the fee(s) on January 10th.
The BCI website says applicants should get their permit within 60 days and not to call for a status check until the 60 days had passed. To date, I have not recieved my permit and it has been 60 days.

Before I call and potentially piss someone off and delay the process even more, I thought I'd check to see if the current processing time was a little longer than the quoted 60 days.

Thank in advance for any insight.
***I called last Friday as I was wondering the same thing, I mailed mine in January 12th, and they didn't receive it in until the 27th of January...they are probably piled sky high...she said they were working on those 22,23,24 of January...they go in order as to when they arrive in the issuing office...I imagine they are going through all of the screening and then sent on to the issuing office...so mine was 3 days away yet, I expect mine probably this weekend or early next week.

Last edited by bjnsunnyotsego; 03-20-2008 at 10:43.. Reason: didn't finish
bjnsunnyotsego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 13:46   #21
Torontogunguy

My personal take on this situation, FWIW, is that non residents of Utah will continue to get their permits albeit somewhat slower than expected, as will US citizens who can provide proof in the way of a passport. NON US residents and non US CITIZENS will no longer be issued non resident permits. I'm not even certain about non US residents to be honest as states like CT and FLA will not issue non resident permits to non residents of the USA as I have found out, even though I am an American citizen with a passport. Looks like the Second Amendment and other rights guaranteed by the Constitution are conferred only upon residents of the USA which makes one wonder what the rights are of our troops overseas and our contractors overseas, members of the Peace Corps, diplomatic staff, etc. Sure looks like the upcoming SCUSA case could serve to clear up a whole raft of issues. Or pour gasoline on them.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote