SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-29-2008, 18:27   #1
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Writers Block

I'm trapped in a "creative enclosure" that has slowed down my progress on my newest novel. I should have clearly expected such an outcome . I'd been writing steadily for nearly four months without rest and I just suddenly felt as if my creative stream had encountered a dam.

Anyway, does anyone have any effective techniques for eliminating the irritating writers block plague? Writing generally helps me deal with building stress, but this is just contributing to it. I might try to read a bit and watch a good movie to try and refresh my pool of ideas.
Scarecrow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 22:54   #2
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

That is a VERY good question. I have been through it 3 times. I don't really know what causes it and I can only guess at what breaks the block. Could have something to do with getting away from it for a time and trying to focus on something else until it passes. I can't swear to that but I do know for SURE that barricading yourself in the computer room and biting the rubber erasers off the ends of all your Eagle #2 wooden pencils and trying to MAKE yourself write is the worst thing you can do.

If you write it may well happen to YOU. If it does then it will either pass or it won't. I always dread it happening to me again because I don't know what to do if it does and I fear that one day it will happen to me again and it will be permanent.

I will watch this thread closely because I HOPE someone knows the answer and will be kind enough to share it with us.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:38   #3
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Its kinda depressing. I feel like I just can't release all my ideas and creativity.
Old 03-21-2008, 20:19   #4
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow28 View Post
Its kinda depressing. I feel like I just can't release all my ideas and creativity.
Hi all, new to this GT writing room, but I have lurked in the past.

So here goes:
If I hit a simple snag I can walk away and go do something, then come back and continue, but when the block gets serious, I am more pro-active in solving it.
What I do is start "mapping" to help with my more serious writer's blocks.

I will get a pen and clean sheet of paper. I will then in the middle of the paper make a circle and put my "storyline" in it. I then make as many little circles as I can around the big circle writing in stuff that relates to what I am writing. It turns into a sort of "problem solving flow sheet" but doesn't necessarily go from one point to the next. I purposely let it become disjointed as long as I am mapping out ideas to use. A lot of time I write done something that has already occurred, but I them can get ideas from that so I will leave it in the map.

I had one map going on for several days when writing a parent/student handbook. The worst writer's block of my life, but when I got done with the mapping, I was able to finish the book 3 weeks ahead of first review deadline.

Good luck.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:05   #5
Sgt. Rambo

Two things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow28 View Post
Two things I do that may help, go and edit a little bit. Go back to the begining and just read your work. Really read it like its someone elses book. It may trigger something for you.

The other thing I do is read a book or magaizne or watch a movie or documentary about your subject. It may also trigger where you want to go. Not that you'd copy anything but it may get you back onto where you want the direction of your story or characters to go.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:36   #6
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

The block is gone, but so is a big chunk of the story. I was doing a bit of research and discovered a major historical innaccuracy that has basicaly gutted the plotline. I've discovered an alternative route that is still different but similar enough to retain the first several chapters and some of the later chapters. The block is over as I'm basically reworking the plot and starting from scratch. Its kind of sad, but its giving me fresh perspective and a new chance to fix the things I disliked about the original story. Its also showing me opportunities for new kinds of scenes that weren't included in the original manuscript.