Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:00   #1
Lethal Farce

Found a 1948 Panhead for sale

I have a chance to buy a 48 Pan. Its pretty complete, and original, looks un restored and rough . I don't have much time, and am scrambling to find out what it is worth. Any ballpark idea?
Thanks, LF
Lethal Farce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:31   #2
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

what kind of shape? complete and restored i would guess $30k or so, how rough it is would decide what it's worth now.

that said, a complete, original frame, with matching numbered cases on a 48 pan, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $8-10K.

finding NOS parts gets harder and harder every year. If your looking for a good looking "rider" you could restore with replica parts for "cheap".

I know it's not a pan, but about 6 years ago i picked up a basket case shovelhead at a police auction (old cop bike) for $1250, 6 months later I sold the bike for $12500 with a total of $4000 invested, including paint and the original cost of the bike. The used harley market has changed in the last year or so (thankfully) but even today i could have turned the bike quick for about $8500 or so.
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06   #3
Lethal Farce

It looks pretty original and untouched, no front brake, speedo bezel missing also. Looks like it has some sort of magneto ignition. What numbers should match, is it motor and frame? Suposedly some HD shop has offered him 10K sight unseen. I restored a complete 48WL many years back. Lost a bunch on it.
Thanks, LF
Old 04-05-2008, 19:02   #4
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Farce View Post
It looks pretty original and untouched, no front brake, speedo bezel missing also. Looks like it has some sort of magneto ignition. What numbers should match, is it motor and frame? Suposedly some HD shop has offered him 10K sight unseen. I restored a complete 48WL many years back. Lost a bunch on it.
Thanks, LF
the numbers on the neck of the frame and the numbers on the lower cases. I believe that someone offered 10k sight unseen. I wouldn't think twice about $8000 if the frame is uncut and original and the lower cases match the frame, and I'm cheap. So if I'd pay $8k, $10k is very believable
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 21:08   #5
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehan2 View Post
the numbers on the neck of the frame and the numbers on the lower cases. I believe that someone offered 10k sight unseen. I wouldn't think twice about $8000 if the frame is uncut and original and the lower cases match the frame, and I'm cheap. So if I'd pay $8k, $10k is very believable
48's didn't have any numbers on the frame. That didn't come til well into the swing arm era. There is a little known set of what are essentially checksum numbers underneath the cases. You can probably Google it and find out more about it. The numbers on the cases themselves are really easy to understand. The first two are the year. The next two (or 3), the model and the next (I think) 4 are the sequence. So, 48 should say something like

48FL1234
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:47   #6
Lethal Farce

Thanks for the tips, its mine and I should have it by next weekend. Numbers worked out good w/ correct shape also as we found out was important. I restored an old Sportser and said never again, than a few years later restored a 48 WL, and said never again. I think I learned a little, this one will stay ratty, but a hopefully become good runner.

Last edited by Lethal Farce; 04-29-2010 at 00:27..