Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2008, 20:27   #1
Klondike

Firearms in your cars/trucks?

Does anyone here leave pistols locked inside their vehicle for any amount of time?

I worry about what the Arizona heat would do to ammo if it's left in a vehicle. I wouldn't leave a pistol in there all day, but if I were to make a stop somewhere that did not allow concealed carry, I would just lock it up in a car safe in my vehicle.

Has anyone heard of any reports of casings exploding from the heat? I've been here for less than a year. Coming from Alaska, I never worried about these things.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33   #2
SlammedDime
G23 Member

Send a message via AIM to SlammedDime Send a message via Yahoo to SlammedDime
It takes far more heat than the sun can provide to cause a round to explode inside the car. Mythbusters did an episode on this too if i remember right. But in any case, I refuse to leave my firearm inside my vehicle for any longer than necessary (I never have, as a matter of fact).
#1898 Young Glockers, #1898 .40 S&W Club
Hell yea I'm an Eagle Scout... what ya gonna do about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SlammedDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48   #3
OXCOPS

I leave mine in there from time to time. Ad SD said, the heat in the car isn't going to cook off rounds. When I was a LEO, I worked with the FD at several house fires where gun stocks were charred from flame, but the rounds inside didn't go off.
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49   #4
Klondike

Thanks for the reassurance. I never heard any reports of casings exploding, but I wanted to make sure.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30   #5
bbvk05
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXCOPS View Post
I leave mine in there from time to time. Ad SD said, the heat in the car isn't going to cook off rounds. When I was a LEO, I worked with the FD at several house fires where gun stocks were charred from flame, but the rounds inside didn't go off.
yupers
bbvk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 15:06   #6
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Does anyone here leave pistols locked inside their vehicle for any amount of time?

I worry about what the Arizona heat would do to ammo if it's left in a vehicle. I wouldn't leave a pistol in there all day, but if I were to make a stop somewhere that did not allow concealed carry, I would just lock it up in a car safe in my vehicle.

Has anyone heard of any reports of casings exploding from the heat? I've been here for less than a year. Coming from Alaska, I never worried about these things.
Not on your life.

I don't give a hoot about the heat. The metric butt-load of car thieves and burglars scare the boojums out of me.

If you mean "Lock it up in my car, safe in my vehicle"....it ain't safe. If you mean "Lock it up in the strongbox I've attached to the interior of my auto"....that's not a problem.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 16:16   #7
Klondike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Not on your life.

I don't give a hoot about the heat. The metric butt-load of car thieves and burglars scare the boojums out of me.

If you mean "Lock it up in my car, safe in my vehicle"....it ain't safe. If you mean "Lock it up in the strongbox I've attached to the interior of my auto"....that's not a problem.
I did mean I'd lock it up in the pistol safe that is attached to my vehicle under the seat. I know I run the risk of having my vehicle stolen along with all the possessions inside, but I don't want my pistol to limit me as to where I can go. And I don't want to break the law by carrying where I wouldn't be authorized to.
Old 04-18-2008, 22:09   #8
Azjeeper

I hate that flippen no guns in resturants that serve alcohol law! I do leave my gun in the car while at work. I left my Glock loaded in the car all last summer no rounds exploded the only thing that really sucked was when you want to put the gun on your person after 8 hours of heat those suckers do get hot!
Azjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:07   #9
snowman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
I did mean I'd lock it up in the pistol safe that is attached to my vehicle under the seat. I know I run the risk of having my vehicle stolen along with all the possessions inside, but I don't want my pistol to limit me as to where I can go. And I don't want to break the law by carrying where I wouldn't be authorized to.
A totally honest question here... my gut tells me it is better to have a strongbox, but what benefit does it actually provide? If the car is stolen, all is lost. I can see that it would provide an additional layer of security from a smash-and-grab thief that leaves the car but takes the radio. Is that mainly the motivation for having a strongbox?

Thanks,
-Kevin
snowman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46   #10
James Cox

You are responsible for your firearm, and what damage it causes. If it is inaccessible, it is much less likely to be used in a crime, even if your car is stolen, the weapon is not accessible.
Old 05-02-2008, 13:27   #11
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman3 View Post
A totally honest question here... my gut tells me it is better to have a strongbox, but what benefit does it actually provide? If the car is stolen, all is lost. I can see that it would provide an additional layer of security from a smash-and-grab thief that leaves the car but takes the radio. Is that mainly the motivation for having a strongbox?

Thanks,
-Kevin
You understand correctly. The number of car busts far outweighs the number of car thefts. There are places where people don't even bother reporting break-ins; they just call their insurance or write it off if it's under the deductable.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 05-03-2008, 11:50   #12
snowman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cox View Post
You are responsible for your firearm, and what damage it causes. If it is inaccessible, it is much less likely to be used in a crime, even if your car is stolen, the weapon is not accessible.
Can you elaborate? Why/how am I responsible for my firearm when it is not in my possession? I consider it to be like any other piece of property. If they steal my car or shop vac and use it in a crime, is a firearm treated any differently? I certainly don't want to aid a criminal, but does a firearm carry a different legal weight in terms of protecting it from others?

-Kevin
snowman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:48   #13
OXCOPS

Quote:
Can you elaborate? Why/how am I responsible for my firearm when it is not in my possession? I consider it to be like any other piece of property. If they steal my car or shop vac and use it in a crime, is a firearm treated any differently? I certainly don't want to aid a criminal, but does a firearm carry a different legal weight in terms of protecting it from others?

-Kevin
I think the key word is negligence. If you leave your loaded weapon on your front porch, and it gets stolen, then you might have a problem because you were negligent in ensuring its safe storage. However, if it was in your locked vehicle, and out of plain sight, and it was stolen from there, you might have a case against negligence.

Of course, remember that anyone can sue you for anything nowdays. When it goes to court, just because you were "not wrong" doesn't mean you are "right".
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:10   #14
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

-Kevin
Because.

It really is that simple. Society makes the rules, and that's the rule that's emerging. You can rationalize or argue, but it doesn't matter, and you will not turn the standard back to where it used to be.

Right now, in AZ, there's no black-letter law that specifies that firearms have to be secured in such-and-such a manner. In other places, there is. There is a blanket prohibition in AZ against negligent conduct that gets other people hurt. "Negligent" is defined by statute:
Quote:
"Criminal negligence" means, with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, that a person fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.
See that "reasonable person" in there? That's where society speaks, and that's the tide that's shifting. The majority of society thinks a reasonable person doesn't leave his CCW in a public bathroom. The majority of society thinks that a reasonable person doesn't allow little kids access to loaded weapons. A growning, if not already a majority, of society thinks that the owners of deadly weapons need to secure them when not in use.

That's the criminal end of things. The civil end isn't much different. You're liable when you have a duty, when you fail in that duty, when someone is injured and when that injury is a result of your breach of duty. All four have to be in place. What duty? The duty that a group of people think is reasonable.

That's a long-winded "because". It's not 1900, "gay" doesn't mean "happy", "liberal" doens't mean "Jeffersonian", and time flows in one direction.