Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 22:18   #21
Thiokol

Every time that I have shipped a firearm through either UPS or Fedex they have asked to see a copy of the recipient's FFL unless I was shipping it to the manufacturer.
Old 04-18-2008, 22:39   #22
SCUBASIGGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiokol View Post
SCUBASIGGUY,

It can be dangerous to present false information as fact. You should check your facts first. Fedex does indeed require priority overnight shipping. Here's their firearms trariff. Read it for yourself, especially paragraph C.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

I agree and that certainly is not my intent. I shipped a pistol out on Wednesday from my local FedEx SC. I ask every time I go and I am certainly willing to pay for overnight shipping. I was told again that 2 day was fine and that I could even ship ground. I had a copy of the FFL and my TDL in the box and another copy of the FFL handy for the clerk and was told that they didn't need it.

As stated in my above post the manager there had previously shown me his copy of the reg and that line about overnight shipping was not present. It could just be that he has given his employees different instructions based on an outdated manual. The whole thing is pretty irritating to me. But at least locally, and I live in a big city, they are not requiring overnight shipping.

While I do want to comply with their rules, I didin't break any laws.

The first time I shipped two pistols back the mfrs. I used a FedEx Kinko's location as instructed per customer sevice on the phone??? They even have a file at the local Kinkos for copies of FFL's.

On top of it all I got home a week later to find the pistol shipped back from Kimber sitting on my front porch?

I know for certain that if you declare a value over a certain amount it automtically requires a direct signature, so I am not sure how that happened. I had to instruct Springfield to have the other pistol held at the FedEx SC for pickup to keep that from happening a second time.

Hard to believe that we don't have any FedEx employees as members here that can clear this up.

I will edit my previous post based on the rules listed above.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

Last edited by SCUBASIGGUY; 04-18-2008 at 22:49.. Reason: grammar
Old 04-19-2008, 05:52   #23
deathpriest

Even USPS

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

As a not licensed (an FFL-holder), you can send a handgun via common carrier, not the U.S. mail, and the recipient must be an FFL holder.

Last edited by deathpriest; 04-19-2008 at 06:10.. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-19-2008, 07:03   #24
grayelky

Kurt_Cobain-
No one has addressed this directly: You may ship "parts" most any way you like. HOWEVER, the part with a serial number is considered a firearm, and it has to go with Federal regulations. The ATF also considers a barrel that has a matching serial number a firearm.

Some of the confusion address above seems to be whether it is Federal Law or UPS/FEDEX regulations. Don't confuse the 2. Violating rules and regs will p*** off UPS/FEDEX. Clearly, they can't keep their own rules/regs straight. We don't want to anger the ATF. They can keep theirs straight.

As one poster mentioned, it may be cheaper to let your dealer send it, as he can use USPS. That is how I send ours out. Handguns can ship for $8.95 (or less), plus insurance.

Last edited by grayelky; 04-19-2008 at 07:05.. Reason: Sp
Old 04-19-2008, 16:12   #25
ref441
CLM Number 68
Charter Lifetime Member

Shipping Firearms

It is pitiful that the rules and policies have to be so confusing on such an important issues...especially when 95% of the confusion comes from people who take our money like UPS and FedEx employees.

For those who may not know, UPS began the Overnight policy to reduce theft by their employees. The theory is that a constantly moving package never has time to sit on a dock somewhere and the address (even though disguised) being recognized by a idle employee. Great, huh, a company solves an internal issue by forcing the customer to pay more.

After almost 30 years with an FFL, I can assure you of the following:

1. Never circumvent the law. Do what is right and sleep well at night.

2. UPS and FedEx rules are their rules, not law; but I still follow them. I rarely use either vendor since I almost always ship by USPS. I will ship a higher-dollar longgun by UPS since their Insurance is much more reasonable than that at USPS.

3. Anyone can ship a gun to an FFL anywhere in the USA. Non-FFL's cannot use the USPS; FFL's can. As far as the GCA 1968 is concerned, Puerto Rico is just like any other state.

4. Some FFL's will not receive a firearm from a non-FFL. I have never understood why. One fellow told me once it reduces the liklihood that a gun is stolen. That is absurd. I think some just like to throw their weight around.

5. Originally-signed copies of an FFL are no longer mandatory. A signed copy can be FAX'ed or a digital copy can be e-mailed to the shipper, individual or FFL, as long as it is legible. How long does a non-FFL shipper have to keep the FFL copy? Beats me. Once the FFL has the gun in his hands, there is no longer any reason for proof, but I'd keep in a file for awhile.

6. A gun cannot be legally shipped to any address other than the Premises Address on the FFL of the receiving dealer. While not required, I always include a copy of my FFL (or an individual could include a copy of the receiver's FFL) with the package with the firearm just in case a postal inspection is done along the way.

7. There is an ATF website where the authenticity of an FFL copy can be verified. I have never had one fail to prove valid; but the site was created for a purpose, so I check everyone to be sure.

8. Many FFL's run scared of the ATF; maybe some have cause to do so. I have been audited twice and have aided in 5-6 traces over the years. Every contact has been professional, courteous, and helpful.

9. Some FFL's will try to punish an individual by asking $50 or more to receive and transfer a firearm purchased from the Internet. That is their way of "encourging" you to buy from them next time. This will happen occasionally in a rural area where FFL's are scarce. Look elsewhere...

10. If you use an FFL to receive a firearm for you, make sure you understand ahead of time how sales tax will be handled. You are buying from out-of-state, and he is only providing a federally-required servce for a stated fee.

Maybe this will be of help to some...along with the other tips above. Read #1 again.
Old 04-19-2008, 16:38   #26
HOU1PTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref441 View Post
It is pitiful that the rules and policies have to be so confusing on such an important issues...especially when 95% of the confusion comes from people who take our money like UPS and FedEx employees.

For those who may not know, UPS began the Overnight policy to reduce theft by their employees. The theory is that a constantly moving package never has time to sit on a dock somewhere and the address (even though disguised) being recognized by a idle employee. Great, huh, a company solves an internal issue by forcing the customer to pay more.

After almost 30 years with an FFL, I can assure you of the following:

1. Never circumvent the law. Do what is right and sleep well at night.

2. UPS and FedEx rules are their rules, not law; but I still follow them. I rarely use either vendor since I almost always ship by USPS. I will ship a higher-dollar longgun by UPS since their Insurance is much more reasonable than that at USPS.

3. Anyone can ship a gun to an FFL anywhere in the USA. Non-FFL's cannot use the USPS; FFL's can. As far as the GCA 1968 is concerned, Puerto Rico is just like any other state.

4. Some FFL's will not receive a firearm from a non-FFL. I have never understood why. One fellow told me once it reduces the liklihood that a gun is stolen. That is absurd. I think some just like to throw their weight around.

5. Originally-signed copies of an FFL are no longer mandatory. A signed copy can be FAX'ed or a digital copy can be e-mailed to the shipper, individual or FFL, as long as it is legible. How long does a non-FFL shipper have to keep the FFL copy? Beats me. Once the FFL has the gun in his hands, there is no longer any reason for proof, but I'd keep in a file for awhile.

6. A gun cannot be legally shipped to any address other than the Premises Address on the FFL of the receiving dealer. While not required, I always include a copy of my FFL (or an individual could include a copy of the receiver's FFL) with the package with the firearm just in case a postal inspection is done along the way.

7. There is an ATF website where the authenticity of an FFL copy can be verified. I have never had one fail to prove valid; but the site was created for a purpose, so I check everyone to be sure.

8. Many FFL's run scared of the ATF; maybe some have cause to do so. I have been audited twice and have aided in 5-6 traces over the years. Every contact has been professional, courteous, and helpful.

9. Some FFL's will try to punish an individual by asking $50 or more to receive and transfer a firearm purchased from the Internet. That is their way of "encourging" you to buy from them next time. This will happen occasionally in a rural area where FFL's are scarce. Look elsewhere...

10. If you use an FFL to receive a firearm for you, make sure you understand ahead of time how sales tax will be handled. You are buying from out-of-state, and he is only providing a federally-required servce for a stated fee.

Maybe this will be of help to some...along with the other tips above. Read #1 again.

Finally a NO NONSENSE, NO B.S. EXPLANATION.. This is the correct info. I couldnt have said it better myself. This guy knows his stuff. Disregard all the other "What If'", "I Think", & "This Is What I have Been Told" in this thread. THANKS FOR THE GREAT EXPLANATION..
"NEVER ENOUGH"
Old 04-19-2008, 16:53   #27
Magicmanmb

Our locals charge $100.00
another charges $50.00 + 18% of what he would sell it for + sales tax. I understand we now have a local one that charges $25.00. Going to check him out on Monday.
Old 04-19-2008, 17:24   #28
ref441
CLM Number 68
Charter Lifetime Member

HOU1PTT:

Thanks, I tried walking on water once and got very wet...actually, I've just been down the road quite a few times and try to remember from my experiences.

MAGICMANMB:

I ask $15 and often charge nothing for a simple transfer. I have found that the potential for future business is worth it. On the other hand, I have no storefront or overhead; and it is harder all the time for a small gun shop to stay in business. So support your local guy...up to a point. In my rural area, I seem to be it.

Last edited by ref441; 04-19-2008 at 17:37..

Closed Thread