http://www.discountwatchstore.com/watch-reviews-1/
VirginiaLEO83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28   #27
The Rampage
Inevitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaLEO83 View Post

That's the one I was talking about!

I stand corrected, the Orient didn't completely smash the Invicta.

LEO, you own that Submariner knockoff? I always thought about getting the black one as a back-up to my Mako, but the smaller size kept me away. It's a nice watch, though.

OP, again, I have absolutely no experience with Invicta's so don't go on my word, alone. I know only what I've read in forums, and evidently my recollections fail me half the time.

Orient can make some crappy models (my Kingmaster, for one) and as LEO said, the band can sometimes feel cheap. Actually, the Kingmaster is an awesome watch and the band is phenomenal...but the f'ing crown gets yanked out due to poor design and I rarely wear that watch anymore.

I'll admit that the hollow links and flimsy clasp of my Mako don't inspire much confidence and aren't nearly as solid as my Seiko Sumo, but I paid $108 for my Mako and over $400 for my Sumo, so there you go. Main thing that matters to me is how GOOD it looks, and the Mako looks GOOD.

But like I said, there ain't no harm in going with either of the two brands, Orient or Invicta. At that price point, long-term reliability and warranties and bands and whatever are moot points as you aren't getting a Benz for a Corolla's pricetag. With the japs you get a reliable workhorse at an amazing price, so if your budget is under $400 then that's precisely the way I'd go.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and don't worry about it. You'll be fine regardless of which you decide on.

TR
The Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:46   #28
tampashooters
Shellback

I own the Invicta in post #2, and love it for vacations. I normally wear my Rolex Datejust, but when I go vacation, i have to leave that home.

The Invicta has gone on 8 cruises, and many vacations so far, and has held up to alot of bashing. Cave Tubing in Belize, Snorkeling in the Caymens, Hiking in Hawaii, etc. The crystal is still clear and scratch free, the metal band has some scratches and dents, but it has never failed me. I don't dive, but it does hold up great to prolonged snorkeling. You really can't beat the price, as they often sell these for $60+.

Support our Troops
tampashooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 20:00   #29
VirginiaLEO83
1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rampage View Post
That's the one I was talking about!

I stand corrected, the Orient didn't completely smash the Invicta.

LEO, you own that Submariner knockoff? I always thought about getting the black one as a back-up to my Mako, but the smaller size kept me away. It's a nice watch, though.

OP, again, I have absolutely no experience with Invicta's so don't go on my word, alone. I know only what I've read in forums, and evidently my recollections fail me half the time.

Orient can make some crappy models (my Kingmaster, for one) and as LEO said, the band can sometimes feel cheap. Actually, the Kingmaster is an awesome watch and the band is phenomenal...but the f'ing crown gets yanked out due to poor design and I rarely wear that watch anymore.

I'll admit that the hollow links and flimsy clasp of my Mako don't inspire much confidence and aren't nearly as solid as my Seiko Sumo, but I paid $108 for my Mako and over $400 for my Sumo, so there you go. Main thing that matters to me is how GOOD it looks, and the Mako looks GOOD.

But like I said, there ain't no harm in going with either of the two brands, Orient or Invicta. At that price point, long-term reliability and warranties and bands and whatever are moot points as you aren't getting a Benz for a Corolla's pricetag. With the japs you get a reliable workhorse at an amazing price, so if your budget is under $400 then that's precisely the way I'd go.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and don't worry about it. You'll be fine regardless of which you decide on.

TR

Yep, I've got the Orient Submariner knockoff in blue. Picked it up from Long Island Watch, IIRC. As I said, it's not a bad watch and I don't have the Invicta model to compare to, but I just wasn't totally blown away with it like I thought I would be.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:07   #30
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaLEO83 View Post
Yep, I've got the Orient Submariner knockoff in blue. Picked it up from Long Island Watch, IIRC. As I said, it's not a bad watch and I don't have the Invicta model to compare to, but I just wasn't totally blown away with it like I thought I would be.
Why would you ever think that you'd be "blown away" by a knock-off watch from a cheap Chinese company that can't sell their own design?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, it's an honest question.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41   #31
VirginiaLEO83
1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Why would you ever think that you'd be "blown away" by a knock-off watch from a cheap Chinese company that can't sell their own design?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, it's an honest question.
I know your "sensitive" when it comes to the topic of Rolex, for whatever reason, so I'll also try to not be an ass. Here's your honest answer.

From what I had heard of Orient, I expected a product that was of higher quality then what I received. I'm well aware that it is based on the Submariner design. I liked the way it looked and based on the reviews I had read I figured I would give them a shot. That is why I wasn't "blown away". I wasn't expecting a Rolex at all, but I was expecting something more then what I received for the money.

While I know that I also used the word "knock off" in my previous post, that's probably not the right term. Orient is not selling fake Rolex's, they are selling a watch that is inspired by a design from Rolex, which they should take as a compliment. This is different then if I picked up a "replica" off some dumpy website and then complained about it.

If I wanted to buy a Rolex then I would have gone out and bought one.

Last edited by VirginiaLEO83; 09-08-2008 at 08:45..
Old 09-15-2008, 16:55   #32
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

I'm still at a loss why anyone would buy ANYTHING (not just a watch) that has well known competition and brand/quality recognition and is in the same price range.

Hell, for the money, a Seiko would have done more than sufficed. And, FWIW, I enjoy Seikos and have had a chance to play with their "high end" models and was more than impressed.

Anyway...it's your money, I'd never tell ya how to spend it. Again, just confused to see someone disappointed when they...well, nevermind.

(Used Tags ain't too much...)

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53   #33
MyNewGlock23

Invicta makes some pretty nice stuff. I have two, an older Lupah diver and the Anniversary Edition Quinotaur in Rose Gold. Love them both. I have the Lupah on now... This one is my all time favorite:

It's About Time

"I'm a firm believer the distinct "click-clack" noise coming from the unknown dark being better than any laxatives ever made." repoman1984 :rofl:
MyNewGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 18:05   #34
AdobeGlock

"Why would you ever think that you'd be "blown away" by a knock-off watch from a cheap Chinese company that can't sell their own design?"

Good point. I guess that's why I'm not "blown away" by my Glocks since they are just a cheap Austrian knock-off of a $3,000 customized Colt 1911. Oh and the knock-off watches are made in Japan like a Honda rather than the Swiss, oh wait, the Swiss are incapable of producing an automobile.
AdobeGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 18:24   #35
California Jack

I don't get it.
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:35   #36
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdobeGlock View Post
I guess that's why I'm not "blown away" by my Glocks since they are just a cheap Austrian knock-off of a $3,000 customized Colt 1911.
Wow?!? A Glock is a knock-off of a 1911? That's news to me.

Hmm...

Polymer frame vs. steel frame
No external safety vs. manual safety
Double-stack vs. single stack
No backstrap safety vs. backstrap safety
Not so accurate vs. more accurate
5.5 lb. pull vs. 1 lb. reliably if desired

Thank you. Come again!

Old 02-22-2009, 19:33   #37
AdobeGlock

Sorry about last post guys-just venting after along day. Not everybody on this is going to be able to pay Rolex amounts of cash for a watch. I'm one of those and although I enjoy reading about your watches, I was really bothered me when this guy was asking for info about what he could afford not what he couldn't. It felt a lot like buying my first Glock and having the gun store guys go on and on about real men having Les Bear 1911 was the only way to go. I've had some some great help from this watch forum.
AdobeGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 19:01   #38
California Jack

If I'm one of the people you are apologizing to, there was no need. I just didn't get your post. I get it now, pretty good rant.
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote