SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:07   #1
glock2619
Work in Progres

Derby Fest this weekend?

Hi there. Hoosier here on his way to Derby Fest this weekend in Louisville. My wife is running the marathon on Sat morning. Anything to do/see/avoid while we're there. We'll get in Friday afternoon and stay until sometime Sat. Looks like there's music and other things going on-which would be neat. Just looking for folks' opinions on what to hit and what to avoid. Also-where to eat?

Last question, everything I've read says that IN/KY have full reciprocity with permits. Anything different about Louisville? Is CCW revoked there for any reason etc. Thanks in advance.

-Gregg
glock2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49   #2
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Avoid Louisville during Derby time.

But, if you really insist on coming, you won't have any probs carrying. Check out www.kentuckystatepolice.org for the full scoop on carrying in Kentucky. Not much to it, pretty simple as far as prohibited places. Signage doesn't matter, they can only kick you out for carrying. Just make sure it's not one of the prohibited places mentioned on KSP's website.

Oh, I've been told by several inmates (I work at the jail) that JAIL stands for "Just Arrived In Louisville". During Derby time, this definitely holds true. Keep the alcohol usage to a minimum, and stay away from drugs and hookers, and you'll be fine.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 20:34   #3
Berretta9

When I was in collage many years ago, I also worked at the jail. I was the first smiling face you saw if you were arrested. I loved derby time. It was a complete freak show. Most of it from out of town. One of our favorite games was guess what sex this hooker is. I'm telling ya, at times it was hard to tell.
It was amazing how many people get arrested during that time.
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:52   #4
glock2619
Work in Progres

Sounds interesting...

Well, being as my troublemaking days are behind me and will be there with my wife and 1 year-old, I'm not thinking I'll get myself into much trouble. The boy and I are going to be walking around Sat morning while the wife is running. Is there ANYTHING neat to look at? The way you guys make it sound, the neatest thing he and I will be able to see is drunks, druggies and hookers. As interesting as that might be to show the boy, I was hoping for something a little better.

Ah well, it should be fun just to get away and see something different anyways.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:06   #5
Berretta9

Take him to the Louisville Slugger Museum. The Science center is cool too.

Last edited by Berretta9; 04-23-2008 at 17:56..
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:53   #6
cwshootersupply

And just down the street is the arms (er I mine history) museum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
cwshootersupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 13:28   #7
TreehugginGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2619 View Post
Well, being as my troublemaking days are behind me and will be there with my wife and 1 year-old, I'm not thinking I'll get myself into much trouble. The boy and I are going to be walking around Sat morning while the wife is running. Is there ANYTHING neat to look at? The way you guys make it sound, the neatest thing he and I will be able to see is drunks, druggies and hookers. As interesting as that might be to show the boy, I was hoping for something a little better.

Ah well, it should be fun just to get away and see something different anyways.
The boy would probably be fascinated with the river boats just down on the river just below the marathon finish line. Wonderful park down on the river just a bit up stream, too. Somewhere in that river park (I'm not certain where cause I have no children) there's also some playground equipment that might be interesting for a 1 year old. The Science Museum on Main Street was also designed with children in mind. Lots of interactive stuff. Not in the downtown area, but worth it, you should also go down to the Fair and Expo Center for the balloon glow on Friday night. Could be entertaining for all the family. The Balloon race will be Saturday morning, too.

Louisville is an awesome town and Derby time is my favorite time. I love it more than my own old hometown. As with all big cities, though, whenever there is a big event, you just need to be more careful with your things. More of the undesirable element will be at these events, too.
TreehugginGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 17:22   #8
glock2619
Work in Progres

Excellent!

Capital ideas gents!

-I've heard of the museum twice now so I'm thinking that's in.
-The Louisville Slugger factory/Museum is a fantastic idea on 2 fronts. 1. I think it would be fun for both of us and I'm in the manufacturing industry anyways, so, yeah, a no-brainer. Always good to see other facilities. 2. I think a personalized 33" genuine Louisville Slugger with his name on it would be a fantastic 1st birthday present(birthday on Friday). Thanks a bunch fellas.

Any others?
Old 04-23-2008, 19:44   #9
TreehugginGlock

[QUOTE=glock2619;10346237]Capital ideas gents! [QUOTE]

And gals

You're welcome and I hope you and your family truly enjoy yourselves. Good luck to your wife in the race. Thanks for being such a supportive husband.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:55   #10
glock2619
Work in Progres

[QUOTE=TreehugginGlock;10347043 And gals

[/QUOTE]

My apologies.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14   #11
glock2619
Work in Progres

We had a good time.

Louisville downtown area doesn't look too bad. We had a nice time there. The boy and I went to the Slugger museum then went to watch mom finish her marathon. She did well too-beating what her goal was. I'm dang proud of her. It was a well-run event to say the least. Everyone around was pretty nice and helpful as well. Thanks for a nice weekend Louisville.
Old 04-28-2008, 19:51   #12
TreehugginGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2619 View Post
Louisville downtown area doesn't look too bad. We had a nice time there. The boy and I went to the Slugger museum then went to watch mom finish her marathon. She did well too-beating what her goal was. I'm dang proud of her. It was a well-run event to say the least. Everyone around was pretty nice and helpful as well. Thanks for a nice weekend Louisville.
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed yourselves. Congrats to the wife. Next time you come to town, bring your gear and come shooting with us, too.