SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2008, 20:05   #1
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Location Description

In my novel, most of the locations are either fictional or have available information to accurately describe them. One such location, which I prefer not to reveal, has limited information but specific physical traits that are pertinent to the novel. I can't find any interior photos or accurate descriptions to aid me in the writing process. Is it acceptable to "create" the interior if it could possibly look like that or should I just try to find a way around it, which would be hard. I'd like to view the site myself, but can't travel the substantial distance to it.
Old 05-12-2008, 22:35   #2
glockmpw

You're not violating anything here. If it's a well visited place, however, and you mis-describe it, you and your novel lose credibility with those who've been there. This was Clancy's secret for his first few novels. He described things correctly and vividly to the point that pros in the field found his descriptions believable and that enhanced their enjoyment of his work. You might try running the name of the location through YOUTUBE to see if anyone has taken a video camera there. I was shocked to see some of the mundane places from which people will post video.
glockmpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 15:02   #3
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Alright, thanks. I've been able to find photographs from tourists personal blogs and online travel sights to gain a decent concept of what the locations will look like. It may not be entirely accurate, but it is, after all, an adventure novel. I'm not concerned about lacking any painstaking detail, I just don't want to paint a mental image completely different from the actual location.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:01   #4
trover
CLM Number 203
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmpw View Post
You're not violating anything here. If it's a well visited place, however, and you mis-describe it, you and your novel lose credibility with those who've been there. This was Clancy's secret for his first few novels. He described things correctly and vividly to the point that pros in the field found his descriptions believable and that enhanced their enjoyment of his work. You might try running the name of the location through YOUTUBE to see if anyone has taken a video camera there. I was shocked to see some of the mundane places from which people will post video.
Smart idea. Some travel sites may also help. From what I know of your book, I think you want as much realism as possible, so the closer you can get to accuracy, the more you enhance your story. But as my editor says, only include as much description as your story requires. With your subject matter, that may require more description than my books demand.
trover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:27   #5
Scarecrow28
Writing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trover View Post
Smart idea. Some travel sites may also help. From what I know of your book, I think you want as much realism as possible, so the closer you can get to accuracy, the more you enhance your story. But as my editor says, only include as much description as your story requires. With your subject matter, that may require more description than my books demand.
There's only one or two actual locations that require any real research pertaining to the physical appearance and such because the majority of the novel takes place in rural, unnamed locations that don't require any incredible amount of accurate description. Like you mentioned, I'm striving for accuracy in these few locations. I've also been forced to do considerable research on firearms, military groups, and a variety of other subjects that are somehow pertenant to the story. I have found myself spending more time plotting out the storyline and doing research that actual writing.
Old 05-18-2008, 17:58   #6
trover
CLM Number 203
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow28 View Post
There's only one or two actual locations that require any real research pertaining to the physical appearance and such because the majority of the novel takes place in rural, unnamed locations that don't require any incredible amount of accurate description. Like you mentioned, I'm striving for accuracy in these few locations. I've also been forced to do considerable research on firearms, military groups, and a variety of other subjects that are somehow pertenant to the story. I have found myself spending more time plotting out the storyline and doing research that actual writing.
Firearms research, as a mystery/thriller writer, was the primary reason I joined SigForum, this one and several others. That was some forty or more guns ago. Now, I enjoy the sport, even though I don't hunt. I do enjoy learning about firearms, and as my editor says, I sprinkle facts like pixie dust, lest the reader get bored.

BTW, it's a delight to me to find this little cubby hole. I had no idea it was there. Hope to chat with you folks further.
trover is offline   Reply With Quote