Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2008, 22:15   #1
mudmanfloyd

Tell me about Phoenix

Hey guys. I am thinking of attending the law school at ASU and wanted to hear your thoughts on the area. Weather, crime, gun friendliness, places to shoot, cost of living, etc.

I was born in Chandler but grew up in California and have spent the last several years in Utah. I am married with my first child on the way.

Thanks a lot.
mudmanfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:48   #2
blueiron
Clown move, bro

University of Arizona has a better college of law, if you haven't been formally accepted to ASU. A great deal depends on where you plan to reside. Cost of living is going up, the weather is hot, and crime isn't good.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:23   #3
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

You ever been to Elay?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42   #4
asu-g23

i say go somewhere else, the board of regents just approved a $11.9 million cut just for asu and president Crow is an overpaid piece who is wasting unversity money
asu-g23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 13:19   #5
Delta-x
Silver Membership
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-g23 View Post
i say go somewhere else, the board of regents just approved a $11.9 million cut just for asu and president Crow is an overpaid piece who is wasting unversity money

Yeah plus its hot as hell there....
Big Dawgs #1945 /1911 Club #5491/Sig Sauer #1945
Lone Star Glockers #1945 /Black Rifle Club #1945

"The sword of justice has no scabbard"-Rival
Delta-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 16:11   #6
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Nice in the Winter and HOTTTTT in the Summer.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Im mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 19:14   #7
mudmanfloyd

Thanks for the replies.
mudmanfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:41   #8
James Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmanfloyd View Post
Hey guys. I am thinking of attending the law school at ASU and wanted to hear your thoughts on the area. Weather, crime, gun friendliness, places to shoot, cost of living, etc.

I was born in Chandler but grew up in California and have spent the last several years in Utah. I am married with my first child on the way.

Thanks a lot.
Crime rate in certain parts of the metro area are very high, west of the 17, anywhere in Mesa or AJ, steer well clear of southside phoenix, most places are gun friendly, but we have one of the highest populations of illegals in north phoenix, so watch it. Weather is extremely dry and superbly hot. Expect 120 in the shade, 130+ in the sun. Drink a LOT of water, don't expect to get cool in july, and never walk on the concrete without shoes. Not too many places to shoot, Caswells, Shooter's World, SGC, Ben Avery, you can drive for about a half hour out of town and find desert that's cool, just make sure it's not annexed or state trust, otherwise bad things happen. Millions of acres, can't use much of it. Tempe is a pretty decent place to live, but all of phoenix has a high cost of living. Not super high, but places like Scottsdale are VERY expensive. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2008, 20:37   #9
MR. Fantastic

but we have one of the highest populations of illegals in north phoenix, so watch it.

Watch what?
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 20:43   #10
James Cox

Robberies, attacks, murders. Watch the dark parking lots. This is coming from personal experience(s).
Old 05-04-2008, 23:02   #11
SundevilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
University of Arizona has a better college of law, if you haven't been formally accepted to ASU. A great deal depends on where you plan to reside. Cost of living is going up, the weather is hot, and crime isn't good.

Currently, AU is ranked slightly higher than ASU in US News and World Report, but their rankings have traditionally gone back and forth (during the early 2000's ASU was ranked slightly ahead). The difference in my opinion is the "experience" of the university as a whole. I have friends that have graduated from both schools and I get the feeling that ASU provides a better overall experience, especially at the grad level. Granted, I'm biased because I attended ASU as an undergrad and I wouldn't trade my college years for anything and you will get different opinions from people who attended each school based on loyalty. One thing the OP will soon find out if he/she attends ASU, is that the rivalry in this state is very bitter and even a grad student will experience it.

And to the original question, the Phoenix/Tempe area is great. You have one of the largest metro areas in the country to study and intern. The weather is absolutely fantastic 8 months out of the year and the recreational activities are phenomenal. If you're into night life, Tempe and Scottsdale are fantastic as well. Public school system still needs improvement, but cost of living is good for a very large metro area. We're only 5.5 hours to a beach and 1.5 hours to the mountains. Stay close to a pool in the summer and most people love it here. There's a reason over 100,000 people a year move here. Good luck in school!
SundevilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 00:58   #12
jtk

I'm a student here now. I was personally robbed at gunpoint by who is now a convicted double murderer...at apache and mcclintock...which is literally less than a block from campus...This ****hole we know as Tempe is the reason why I carry any time I walk out the door.
jtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:09   #13
BOM

Carry permits take 3 days to get, take your gun almost anywhere, great gun shops, lots of crime, HOT, HOT, HOT, and alot of fun.

Carry your gun.

Tempe has an excellent police force, as do most of the cities.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:37   #14
James Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOM View Post

Tempe has an excellent police force, as do most of the cities.
There's a real good reason for that too
Sad state of things.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:11   #15
jtk

if by real good, you mean A LOT...then yes, that would be true...
jtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 17:18   #16
SundevilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
I'm a student here now. I was personally robbed at gunpoint by who is now a convicted double murderer...at apache and mcclintock...which is literally less than a block from campus...This ****hole we know as Tempe is the reason why I carry any time I walk out the door.
I'm really sorry to hear that. What a horrible experience that must have been. I know situations like the one you talk about can occur at any university, but it hits home when you hear about it at the school you spend so much time at.
SundevilFan is offline   Reply With Quote