Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2002, 13:01   #1
flinch
Nortius Maximus

Semi-Useful Fishing Hints

1. Before You Step Into the Water, Make A Few Casts

Why do people always insist on wading out into the middle of the river? On this last trip, I watched a half-dozen guys tromp into the river, intent on getting to the deepest part. I watched them flail the water for a couple of hours, then leave in disgust.

This morning, I stayed on the bank and began tossing white jigs. The three largest trout (25" cutthroat, 26" rainbow, 24" cuttbow) were taken 15 yards off the shore, right where the other guys were standing.

This is particularly important on rivers that are running at or above normal levels. In this case, "River X" was running at 1600 cfs (normal flow is 600 cfs). Trout will move close to shore in order to save energy in the current. One year, the flows hit 3,600 cfs, but I managed to nail a five pound rainbow six inches off the bank.

Big trout will stay close to shore and feed, unless you feel obligated to stomp right through their living room.

2. Big IS Better

"River X" is overrun by fly-fishermen. The trout see all sorts of nymphs, emergers, and dries-most of them in the 18-22 range. It works just fine, since most of their food is that small. The fly-fishermen tend to very well on trout in the 14"-16" range.

Then again, trout do get tired of constantly feeding on small insects. It's like nibbling on a steady stream of peanuts. Now, toss in a big steaming platter of steak. A big marabou jig swinging through a feeding lane elicts the same reaction.

On this trip, my fish *averaged* 20" inches.

One of my favorite patterns is an oversized Woolly Bugger tied on a 1/16 jig head. The tail is a minimum of 3/4" long, with a Flashabou trailer of 1" or more. It's big. It's ugly. But it gets the job done.
niner #144
high power club
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 08:34   #2
Grumpy Gardener

flinch I like to toss in a black ant once in a while or a bumble bee in the heat of the day. Every once in a while you'll get a strike from some Browny looking for an apetizer of different taste. Zug bugs are fun too.

gardener
Old 06-24-2002, 06:57   #3
thisaway

Dang, flinch, what river are you fishing? It's hard to get an "average" like that 'round here in the East! ;g
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:23   #4
flinch
Nortius Maximus

Quote:
Originally posted by thisaway
Dang, flinch, what river are you fishing? It's hard to get an "average" like that 'round here in the East! ;g
North Platte River, Wyoming. You've got about 200 miles' worth of very good trout fishing from the Colorado border all the way up to the eastern plains.

The eastern tailwaters are perfectly capable of producing fish equal to the ones I caught, but it requires a major shift in thinking. This particular stretch of the Platte has a limit of only one fish over 20", and it's turned an average water into the best fishery I've ever experienced.

In TN, I think there are some tailwater fisheries that have a few fish in the 20" range. Two really good places in the Midwest that are worth investigating are Lake Taneycomo in Branson, MO, and the White River below Bull Shoals Dam near Mountain Home, AR.

Taneycomo has a slot limit in the upper river, and its' been a godsend for the fishery. Guides and clients are catching fish around 16-20 on a regular basis.

Check out http://branson.net/fishing/lt.phtml

Properly managed tailwaters can equal the North Platte, as long as the right regulations are used.

Oh, and here's the biggest fish of my trip...
niner #144
high power club
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote