SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2008, 19:59   #1
justinsn95
Im in jail...

CPU usage at 100%.. please help.

I recently imaged a drive onto another drive, and i got everything worked out except for 1 thing.. my CPU usage even at idle with no applications running, is stuck at 100%. Everything takes forever. It takes like 10 min to uninstall a program, and i cant even run starcraft without severe performance lag. The system has an AMD 1.8Ghz proc and a gig of RAM so starcraft should be no sweat. It even takes like 8 sec just to drag something into the trash, and about 50 sec for Firefox to open. My memory usage appears to be in the normal range, however. Anyone have any idea what this could be or how i could figure it out?
Old 04-29-2008, 20:05   #2
Furant

Sounds like you're running Vista.

;-)

In the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shft+Esc), look at the Processes tab. Make sure the CPU and/or the CPU Time columns are showing (View>Select Columns...). Sort Descending on CPU and CPU Time so that you can see which process is hogging it all up. Chance are this process didn't like the switch and is probably looking for something in an old location.

May have to uninstall and reinstall that app.

Joey
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 20:06   #3
BOSS302
Pain is tempora

What OS are you running?
BOSS302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 20:06   #4
justinsn95
Im in jail...

Sorry, still a noob lol. It seems the offending process was called syntpenh.exe. I looked it up on google and it says that it is needed for essential functions. I terminated the process, and now the CPU usage is down to normal. Anyone know if i really have to have this running for some reason? If not, is there a way to bar it from ever coming back?

Oh by the way this was for XP.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:37   #5
andybob
Do Work

I searched the syntpenh.exe and it came up in my syetem as a touchpad driver and touchpad enhancements. Try terminating the process and then seeing if your touchpad (the thing that controls the mouse, if you have one) still works.

Or hit the Start button and find the search feature, search all files and folders and see what comes up.

Andybob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
andybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:14   #6
justinsn95
Im in jail...

Well i disabled it and now it the CPu usage has returned to normal. Yay! I disabled it from the startup with msconfig and now it will never trouble me again.
Thanks for the replies!