Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2008, 20:12   #1
cyphertext

New computer - Good deal?

I just purchased a laptop for my son. He is turning nine. Here is what I got for him. http://www.gateway.com/systems/produ....php#techspecs

Fry's had them marked down to $449, so I didn't think I could go wrong. Can't find any reviews out on the net about this particular machine though.

Thanks
cyphertext is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 20:16   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Looks like a reasonable deal to me.. I paid 325 for my Acer laptop, and it only had 1gig of ram, but I nuked vista, so it doesn't matter.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:10   #3
cyphertext

This was the cheapest I found here locally. Kind of an impulse idea, buy the kid a laptop for his birthday. I wish I would have seen something for less!
Old 04-30-2008, 15:11   #4
denfoote
MENACE

Two things.

Quote:
More memory = more speed. With 2GB standard, you'll have the room to enjoy all the perks of Windows Vista®.
If you get it, I'd up the memory to the max right off the bat!!
These stupid computer makers finally have realized that Visduh is extremely memory intensive!! My wife's laptop came with only 512 and it takes forever for Bill's latest monster to load!!

Quote:
Now more than ever, it's time for Windows Vista®, with the included Service Pack 1 version bringing even greater security, reliability and performance. Plus:
I've heard so many bad things about Visdork SP1 (do ya get the feeling I really don't like Vista ) I would be very leary about even buying this. Like I said, my wife's laptop has this monstrosity and I've had first hand experience with messing with it!! Other users have reported that SP1 freezes up their machines in endless boot up mode, which means the software destroys your computer!! This is something I would expect from Gates!! I'm sure he has an unholy alliance wirh the computer makers to sell more machines!! 'Ol Bill has SP1 on the automatic download curcuit. I swear to God, the first hint of trouble with this turkey and I'm nuking the whole shebang and installing Ubuntu, whether my wife likes it or not!! I'm not gonna have Satan's little buddy, Bill F'ing up my brand new machine!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!
denfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 20:16   #5
cyphertext

I think with 2GB already installed, this particular machine is maxed out.

My current machine is a Pentium 4 with 256MB running XP. It is starting to get a little long in the tooth. I am thinking about getting more memory and trying Ubuntu, but I am a total Linux noob. It has been at least 15 years since I took a Unix class in college.
Old 04-30-2008, 23:16   #6
bteen2

Like mentioned previously this rig can only support up to 2Gb of memory. While this is good for now, you’re going to want room to upgrade. Look for something with a maximum memory of 4Gb; it might cost a bit more now but you'll get a much longer life out of it.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:50   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

If you're really concerned about Vista not having enough ram(although I'd think for a 9yr old this is fine), you could buy XP, search out xp drivers for all your devices, save them, then nuke Vista.

I think you got a pretty good deal.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:04   #8
cyphertext

I agree Indy, I think the machine will work fine for him. He will use it for some Internet surfing, Power Point presentations for school, typing a book report, and playing games that teach typing, math, spelling, etc. If he wants to play games, he can play his Wii or Playstation.