Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-02-2008, 22:38   #1
mariner19

best all around pocket knife

what pocket knife would you guys recommend? manual folder? automatic? what brand? i'm thinking of a knife that's good for utility, self-defense, etc. reliable and durable.
mariner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 00:03   #2
BrassKnuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner19 View Post
what pocket knife would you guys recommend? manual folder? automatic? what brand? i'm thinking of a knife that's good for utility, self-defense, etc. reliable and durable.
There's such a thing as the "law of inverse utility" which states that the more things a gadget is designed to do, the less efficiently it can do any of those.

A bowie knife would be better than a swiss knife for self defense, and a regular pair of scissors would cut better than those on a swiss knife, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not discouraging you from taking a one-size-fits-all approach. Just be reminded that there are compromises involved and it is best that you consider them when making your final choice.
BrassKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:01   #3
saki1611
BOG's #1611

why not try a leatherman or gerber pocket multi-tool? folded or not can be used as a self-defense tool (serves as a kubotan), espcially the long-nose driver.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:45   #4
batangueno
Shock Resist

Any folding knife with a good lock, easy to open, quality steel would be good. Good brands are benchmade, spyderco, cold steel, kershaw, crkt, al mar. The more expensive ones are microtech, emerson, chris reeve.

For utility use, i suppose you should stay away from the exotic blade profiles, claw types and such. Something with a 3" blade would be a good all around knife.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20   #5
wtf jack

This is an Emerson Mini-Commander with the wave feature. Not too expensive, not too big, not too fancy. Very tough knife and very quick on the draw.

Link to Emerson knives -

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

Link to wave feature -

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

Band of Glockers

Last edited by wtf jack; 05-03-2008 at 07:29..
wtf jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:32   #6
Eye Cutter

get a knife with a liner lock. it's more robust and is safer to use. lesser chance that it will accidentally close in your hands.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:54   #7
jerrytrini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Cutter View Post
get a knife with a liner lock. it's more robust and is safer to use. lesser chance that it will accidentally close in your hands.
My carry knife on/off duty was a Frost Cutlery (Japan made) half plain and half serrated. It has served me well picking dead bolts and cutting steel cables. Make sure sure it is all steel, no plastic or fiberglass handles.
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:44   #8
wtf jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Cutter View Post
Band of Glockers
wtf jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 18:39   #9
bikethief
itchy trigger

+1 on the Emerson.

SOE carries the biggest selection of knives in the country. Why not go there and see what fits?

- bikethief
bikethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 18:44   #10
felix1985
Draw the line

I can't find anything i like better for the money than a kershaw.
felix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 19:23   #11
Allegra

My Cold steel has served me very well numerous times
4 inch tanto , half serrated
Cuts thru flesh and cartilage cleanly
Di ka na pipila , direcho ka na agad dun sa lechon
A few slashes of the CS dala mo na laman at balat
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 23:31   #12
batangueno
Shock Resist

hahaha magandang pang-test ng blade yan.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 23:45   #13
tglahn17

Spyderco Delica or Native with Spyderedge blade. If you can spend more money, Syderco Harpy Spyderedge with carbon fiber scales. That's my every day carry. Good luck,
tglahn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10   #14
Kaiser Soze
Notorious

It depends on your budget bro, and for what kind of utility use...if you'll be cutting a lot of rope or cord, get one with serrations. If you're going to be using it for self-defense, get one with a plain edge as serrations may catch on bone.

For the budget concious, the Spyderco Tenacious is a great knife, very versatile and has good, grippy handles (they're made of G10) and the liner lock is also solid. Spyderco has made a lot of good knives in the past, but this is a real value for money knife.

As for self defense, I think that nothing beats Emerson knives. Dirt easy to use, and almost no care needed. A little pricey at first, but you know what you're paying for once you have one in your hand.

"Do unto others as they do unto you...but do it FIRST!"

S.O.E. Tambay #7
Kaiser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:42   #15
bertud ng putik

emerson daw ang ok! nag punta ako sa SOE last week. ang gaganda ng emerson grabe! bandang hapon ako nag punta, sayang at umaga or tanghali nag punta si melbu. sayang at di kami nagkita.
Old 05-04-2008, 21:15   #16
mariner19

thanks guys!

thank you to all who replied. really appreciate it! i actually went to SOE the other day and manny gave very helpful tips and advice similar to what you guys are saying. i was able to narrow down the purpose of the knife (self-defense) since i already have a Gerber multi-tool and a Swiss knife. The Emersons are really nice. Mag iipon muna ako
Old 05-04-2008, 21:16   #17
mariner19

actually excuse ko lang yata ang self-defense. i think it's just really nice to have a cool pocket knife
Old 05-04-2008, 22:55   #18
Punisher_nbi45
R we der yet?

Send a message via Yahoo to Punisher_nbi45
If you're budget conscious, I think you should probably go with cold steel. Their knives are okay, and they're reasonably affordable.

All the other brands mentioned above would make great carry knives / all-around utility knives.

If you really want a rough-and-tumble, workhorse knife that you wouldn't mind abusing, I'd recommend Zero Tolerance or Strider. Especially Strider.

I have a GB. Despite how big it looks, it just fits right in my hand (well, i do have large hands). There are other strider folders that are smaller, but the common characteristic with all of them is that they are quality-made and built to withstand the toughest abuse you could reasonably dish out.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:04   #19
darwin25
Make your move

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki1611 View Post
why not try a leatherman or gerber pocket multi-tool? folded or not can be used as a self-defense tool (serves as a kubotan), espcially the long-nose driver.
+1 The Gerber Multi-tool excels on this one. The exposed long nose plier is a great impact device

Another one is the Cold Steel AK-47 knife. The exact same knife that saved my life last year during a knife fight with 3 holduppers. Like the emrson knives, The Cold Steel AK-47 has a neat waved feature for quick and easy deployment. The exact same feature that allowed me to quickly deploy my knife during the fight.

Band of Glockers
darwin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:06   #20
Clusterbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglahn17 View Post
Spyderco Delica or Native with Spyderedge blade. If you can spend more money, Syderco Harpy Spyderedge with carbon fiber scales. That's my every day carry. Good luck,
I've handled a friend's Spyderco Native and I must say I found the grip to be one of the most comfortable for my hands. Sayang, they don't sell those here anymore. Last time I saw one was at Hahn, Megamall about two years ago. They haven't restocked them ever since.
Clusterbomb is offline   Reply With Quote