Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2008, 13:27   #1
woodasptim

Any experience with MPix.com?

I normally get my prints done at Walgreens, but I'm doing the composite for my wife's graduating class. She's graduating Saturday with a CLS Degree. Anyway, the prints from Walgreens look ok, but they print Walgreens and the order number on the back and I don't want to sell prints that are obviously printed at Walgreens. Who does everyone around here use for their print orders? Is mpix.com any good? The price looks great, I'm just worried about the colors coming out right on the order. I imagine that I'll just have to pull the trigger and pray for the best, then just get them printed somewhere else if they suck.

What's the best way to make sure my monitor is properly calibrated? Since I'm telling them not to color correct the prints.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 12:04   #2
tarpleyg

So, I use mpix.com (Miller's) exclusively. They do a really good job. If you don't have their printer profiles loaded when you edit your photos, make sure and select the option to let them adjust the color for you when you order. Doesn't cost any extra and the color should be spot on. Pretty good bunch of techs over there.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 13:08   #3
woodasptim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
So, I use mpix.com (Miller's) exclusively. They do a really good job. If you don't have their printer profiles loaded when you edit your photos, make sure and select the option to let them adjust the color for you when you order. Doesn't cost any extra and the color should be spot on. Pretty good bunch of techs over there.

Greg
Thanks for the reply. I actually received my first order from them yesterday. I told them not to color correct and everything came out perfect. You have to love it when you place an order on Friday and receive it by Monday.
Old 05-13-2008, 15:58   #4
DeadMansLife

I'll let ya know in a day or 2. My order should be here soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
[/B] *
DeadMansLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 15:05   #5
DeadMansLife

My Mpix photos just arrived today. They turned out great! I had them printed on metallic paper. With the right light, some of my prints seem to be almost 3D.

I believe misskitty likes the metallic prints too. mk's thread

[/B] *
Old 06-12-2008, 22:38   #6
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I don't visit this forum often because it makes me so jelous of all the nice equipment everyone has and I don't, but when I do take pictures with my humble stuff, I upload to MPIX because they're very reasonable price and great quality. The Kodak professional papers with lots of options like mounted prints, and all the other great stuff they offer. Plus as you said they are super fast. I did some pictures for a wedding once and the couple was extremely satisfied with the prints, they actually looked professional, and I definetly am not.

FWIW, I use their ROES application to do the uploads and ordering. I like it better.
Old 06-13-2008, 00:30   #7
hwyhobo

Anybody printed B&W with them?

hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 14:44   #8
DeadMansLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyhobo View Post
Anybody printed B&W with them?
I just had some hi-contrast B&W done on metallic paper. They turned out fantastic!

I plan on going to Gettysburg in a few weeks and printing some of the B&W with a sepia overtone on metallic paper, they should look like Daguerreotypes like this one:

Through-the-Lens Club
American Museum of Photography

[/B] *
Old 06-13-2008, 22:45   #9
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMansLife View Post
I just had some hi-contrast B&W done on metallic paper. They turned out fantastic!

I plan on going to Gettysburg in a few weeks and printing some of the B&W with a sepia overtone on metallic paper...[/URL]
I'm guessing the question was referring to true B&W on ILFORD paper and not what you're talking about.

If so I have done had some done on the ILFORD paper and IMO they look like what B&W pictures should.
Old 06-13-2008, 23:40   #10
hwyhobo

Fantastic, I will have to try them. Yes, I meant true B&W, but I am open to experimentation with other papers to see the effect. I might discover something new I may like.

hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote