GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2008, 19:41   #21
pisc1024

sawman, where are some good places to go on base to find hogs? Also do you think that a 12 gage with buck shot would work on thoes beasts? You hear so much about them being bullet proof ect. I have other blasters to bring to the game, but I think that my shot gun would be the best for this kind of terrain...
pisc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 00:00   #22
eodcole

Not that I have experience hunting them but I was going to take the same rifle I used for deer. Depending on what hunting area you're in there are clearings where you can take decent shots.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00   #23
SAWMAN

Eglin's Hogs

pisc1024, Would be more than happy to tell you about and direct you to,some places on Eglin that has more hogs than anywhere else. ANYONE that wants to know anything about location needs to PM me. I don't mind you Eglin guys knowing but I don't want to advertise too openly.

IMO, shotguns are a no-no. I had a buddy/instructor that used to say,"buckshot is gutshot". Simply said,a load of buckshot could do the trick but you will have a mess on your hands. 9-12 pellets, in a tight pattern, at close range, will make a mess of the finest eatin' meat on the face of the earth.

At the longer ranges,say 40-70yds,the pattern will be so large that the hog probably will run,to die later. Possibly with very little blood to follow as the soft lead of buckshot will not penetrate very far.

There are places in Eglin, that if the hog went 40yds, you may never find him,or would rather not go get him even if you could see him. Those places have 6 inches of standing water with 10ft of mud under that.

Some(probably most) of the shots will be in the fairly open mature pine and blackjack oak forrest. Those shots could be 50 to 150+yds long. A deer rifle will do for this type of hunting. Some of my hunting is sitting up above a thick creek bottom and watching a trail that leads to and from that bottom. These shots can be almost as long or as short as you want to make them. Mostly they are 50'ish yds for me.

Using a deer rifle with scope is ok but remember to have your vairable power scope set to the lowest power. At least initially. The very best weapon(IMO) is the short,light,big bore carbine(or pistol) .357mag(with the right load),10mm,.44mag,45LC,.454Casull,450Marlin,.45-70,and the like are simply the greatest. The big,slow bullets do far less meat damage than the 270's,308's,30-06's,243's,and the like. Of course they all will kill.

Remember also the hogs you see in Eglin can be substantially larger than any deer you will see. A big deer will probably be 140-160lbs. There have been quite a few hogs killed in Eglin that are 400+lbs. And tons over 300lbs. This is where those slow,heavy,well made bullets really shine. Especially the WFN and WLN hardcast.

Permits for Eglin went on sale today. For active duty or retired military(me) ask for the "Military Gold" permit. It will only cost you $20. Pick up the permits at Jackson Guard. I will be going one day this week. Anyone that wants to meet me there to discuss where to hunt,let me kow the day and time. In fact I can show you with the map that you will get with your permit.

Good huntin" -----pruhdlr
Old 09-23-2008, 20:40   #24
pisc1024

Sawman, I guess I'll be using my 30-30, I also have a glock 20 that I would love to use, do you have any ideas on how to block the mag off for the 5 round rule? I was thinking of using a pencil...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52   #25
SAWMAN

Turdie-Turdie

The .30-30 is fine. Especially the bigger bullets(150's and 170's). Study the anatomy of a hog if possible. They are kinda like a bear in that the heart and lungs hang down low. The spine is very low in the neck area and that is always a killer as is the brain. Put it in the ear and they will simply do the kickin' chicken.

There is NO RULE that limits the rds that you can carry in a centerfire pistol for hunting. I always have 15+1 in my Glock 20(or 8+1 in my Desert Eagle) especially if I'm gonna get down on their level. Would also highly reccomend Double Tap ammo outta the 20. I use the 200gr WFN hardcast. It absolutely hammers 'em.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr
Old 09-24-2008, 11:53   #26
finz50

Send a message via AIM to finz50
My CC just talked to AFPC for me.....looks like my RNLTD is getting pushed back to 31 Jan. I'm assuming deer season will be over by then. Still plan on hooking up with you Strawman, but unfortunately it'll be a little later than I originally hoped. Also looks like they're slotting me as the MOO for the Component MX Squadron out there now instead of the Ospreys. Catch you guys later!
Old 09-24-2008, 13:23   #27
pisc1024

Sawman, when you said that there is no rule on pistols, I though that it sounded funny, so I went back and checked the regs', and low and behold your right!!! Man that saves me a lot of hassle!!! Thanks!!!! I gues reading is fundamental huh? Do you hunt with your glock 20 on base? is there anything special that has to be done with that? I heard that you have to register anything that comes on base, that's not a problem, I was just curious. is it alrigh if you wear it in a hoster when your huting, or is that a nono... If the questions sound dumb, it's because I'm used to hunting on military bases, and they have some strange rules....
Old 09-24-2008, 14:09   #28
SAWMAN

M/L Still In

Finz50, yeah,by 1-31 the general gun is over.......BUT.......you still have 10days of M/L hunting. It is usually 2-15 thru 2-25. That is some excellent hunting cuz there aren't many hunters in the woods and the animals have had over two weeks to "rest". Also usually some darn great WX.

There's always next year. That will give you plenty time to do some scouting. PM me when you get in and set up and we'll get together.

pisc1024, I come and go from the base on the extreme northern side. There are no check points or gates so I'm not sure how the base handles the firearms thing. If you will be living in the barracks I'm sure that you will not be able to keep a firearm in your room. Make sure to check with base security or other security forces.

While hunting with my pistols,I wear them in a Bianchi Ranger chest rig. Usually with a orange vest covering most of the weapon. Although I have a concealed weapons permit,I still safe the weapon and take it off when I enter my truck. I put it in a nylon bag along with the ammo and mags. I have never been hasseled by state or federal wardens for doing this. You can definately wear it in a holster on your hip while hunting.

One more comment for both(all) you guys. While coming and going,and especially while hunting,make sure to ALWAYS know where your at on the base. The base is huge and the open for hunting areas are broken up by highly restricted areas. These areas are usually divided by a stream(and it could be dry) or a small dirt/red clay roadway. If you are found to be where your not supposed to be, the smilin',good ol' boys,Florida wardens, will not come after you,it will/could be the military SpecOps guys. They are in constant need of training and they will use you as a target/training tool. Take it from me.....that'll completely ruin your day. There are sensors in the ground,trees,and places that you would never see them. If you stray into a restricted area the security forces will know it.

I use a GPS with a built in map. It shows most if not all the roadways in the non restricted areas. It will keep you outta trouble.

Other than that, it is a great place to hunt. Last time I heard you had access to half a million acres to hunt/recreate. That's plenty for me. -----pruhdlr
Old 09-27-2008, 15:28   #29
SAWMAN

Eglin Permit

The wife and I took the trip over to Eglin(Jackson Guard) this AM to pick up our permits.

The rules are pretty much the same this year as in the past. Military Gold is still $20 but the regular permit has risen to $45. The new maps show that as stated earlier,more parts of the base has been restricted due to mission demands. Probably the training of the SpecOps types. That didn't really effect us and the places that we hunt anyway. Also, it is a military facility first and everything else comes after that.

Access for scouting and hanging stands will be Oct. 11 and 12 and then the bow season will open Oct.18. Most of the dog hunters will be over in the "quota hunt" area(6) so that will relieve the PITA factor in some of the other area's. Area 12 will still be a doggie area so stay clear of that.

WX permitting,it should be a good year.------pruhdlr
Old 10-06-2008, 18:53   #30
pisc1024

Sawman, thanks for the info... School has been a beast lately, I havn't even gone by the guard to get my permit yet.