SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2008, 17:31   #1
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

Florida Masons, should I do the "short-of-time" degrees?

I don't feel good about being given this option, because I've not been attending my catechism classes due to work, and trying to get in better shape, and the cost of gas, etc. All excuses as to why I don't want to make the time to study for my degrees.

Are these degrees simply conferred without having to do all the memorization?

If so, it just doesn't feel right. Would others in the lodge frown upon that? Would I be made to feel somewhat less worthy than those who've done it the traditional way?

I don't know what to do. I haven't been attending at all and I feel guilty about it. Seems like there was high hopes for me.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 16:02   #2
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
I don't feel good about being given this option, because I've not been attending my catechism classes due to work, and trying to get in better shape, and the cost of gas, etc. All excuses as to why I don't want to make the time to study for my degrees.

Are these degrees simply conferred without having to do all the memorization?

If so, it just doesn't feel right. Would others in the lodge frown upon that? Would I be made to feel somewhat less worthy than those who've done it the traditional way?

I don't know what to do. I haven't been attending at all and I feel guilty about it. Seems like there was high hopes for me.
Call the lodge or talk to your mentor. There are times that life gets in the way of our wants while we are taking care of need (work, physical self improvement).

Honestly the gas thing seems a little like a cop out, but then I don't know your situation. You were honest to say that "I don't want to make the time to study". Seems you have defined the issue

Find someone at work or ask at the lodge if there is someone who lives close or closer to you and work with them one on one. There are lots of options.

If you are talking one day - I say no way.
If you are talking shortened process, that may be OK.

You have to remember, you get out of it what you put into it. Nothing input, nothing coming back.

Why would you want to get the degrees just handed to you if you aren't going in the first place? Be honest with yourself, decide to learn the work and participate when you can. Just be careful of time limitations.

To answer your specifice questions - If they are conferred they shouldn't be and yes others will frown upon it; you would not necessarily be made to feel any particular way, but you alread feel that taking a short cut would be just that and from your tone you know already you do not want to do that.
Good luck on your decision.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 21:04   #3
machinisttx

You're cheating yourself if you do.

As jetboatdriver stated, you're only going to get as much out of it as you put in. Nothing in equals nothing out. In effect, you'd just be killing time.

YMMV
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 15:27   #4
RED64CJ5

Freemasonry is not a club. We don't just "initiate" new members. If you want to be a part of it, you must commit. If you just want a membership card, go to another organization and send them your dues.

I'm sorry to say but if you don't have time to commit to doing things the best way, don't do them at all. Wait until the time is right in your life.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote