Old 05-17-2008, 18:28   #1
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

Colt SP1 in COLTGUARD Finish

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 05-26-2008 at 16:20..
jjtroutbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 19:09   #2
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

What don't think my "bling bling" deserves a spot in the "Black rifle Club" ?

j/k..... Kinda threw me off the first time I saw it also.
Old 05-17-2008, 20:17   #3
halfmoonclip

Handled one of those at a local gunshop back in the dim mists of time; I wasn't especially crazy about ARs then, and figured I could get a regular SP-1 anytime if there was an urge. Of course, it took Bill Clinton to convince me I needed one.
The one I handled looked quite different than the one the Gummint gave me for free (at least for awhile). It was handsome in a flashy way, as is yours. Think of a silver M-1 Abrams...
Looks mighty minty...how did you score it, and how much bling for your bling?
Enjoy!
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 20:39   #4
Onmilo

If it isn't a refinish, then you have a rare blaster there.
If it has the box and all the goodies, it would be a tough call on whether to shoot it or not.
Onmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 21:15   #5
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

Thanks for the compliments kinda still reminds me of a Glock with a polished slide. All trying to look more civilized any less "evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Looks mighty minty...how did you score it, and how much bling for your bling?
Enjoy!
Moon
Just casually mentioned to a friend that I was gonna buy a AR next week and he had someone ask his if he wanted one just the day before.

As far as the price well he needed the money and I was wanting a rifle so I got a serious discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmilo View Post
If it isn't a refinish, then you have a rare blaster there.
If it has the box and all the goodies, it would be a tough call on whether to shoot it or not.
Seems to be right there in the serial numbers and Its not a cosmetically perfect ie no green poking out from behind any nickel finish. gun but nice for for twenty years more or less.

I really worked it over yesterday and again today visually and litterally and it just kept on eating Rem ball even shot a bunny out of the garden with the Rem. 50 gr SP I picked up for any any Self/garden defense event that might need a little reach<~~~~see that there is just justifying X-mas in the middle of May.

My neighbor was grill en and shouted if I needed back up. Let him know and he would break out the silenced pellet gun. Maybe the SP needs a can too ?
We just about got em back here in Missouri don't ya know. Gotta be respectful of the neighbors<~~~see just did it again this is too easy

JJ
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32   #6
halfmoonclip

jj-
How does the bolt carrier look in that? Presume no notches as there is no FA, but is it full circle/half circle/shrouded firing pin?
And is the BC phosphate finished or nickel?
Thnx,
Moon
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00   #7
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

Gota get out and get some CLP and when I do I'll gut it out for a lube and get pics.

It does have the treads/notches for a forward assist but that isn't very uncommon for Colt to use parts seemingly willy nilly.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58   #8
PlasticGuy

I had a mint condition SP-1 and liked it a lot. I did sell it, primarily because I didn't want to be limited to 55 grain or lighter bullets, but if you're not worried about that it will serve you well.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:03   #9
halfmoonclip

There's enough 1:12 barrels out there to make a continuing demand for 55gr bullets, and they are frequently the better bargain.
If bullet weight/availability is the main concern, get another upper with a 1:7 or 1:9.
I wouldn't get radical and rebarrel the Silver Queen!
Moon
Old 05-19-2008, 15:05   #10
mac66
Plant the seed

That rifle is BEEEEEA...UTIFULL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 16:34   #11
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

Quote:
jj-
How does the bolt carrier look in that? Presume no notches as there is no FA, but is it full circle/half circle/shrouded firing pin?
And is the BC phosphate finished or nickel?
Thnx,
Moon
Pics as promised! Could have been better/more shots but got more into cleaning and function than pictures.

I was mistaken about all chrome. The bolt is parkerized. Saw on AR15.com that this is a recognized transitional group. Before full parkerzation.
Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
I had a mint condition SP-1 and liked it a lot. I did sell it, primarily because I didn't want to be limited to 55 grain or lighter bullets, but if you're not worried about that it will serve you well.
I thought about that after the purchase luckily for me a local shop contracted a local manufacture to load things like the .223rem/5.56 50gr SP using all new materials so I have a few options got them 50 for $39.95 not bad

Quote:
There's enough 1:12 barrels out there to make a continuing demand for 55gr bullets, and they are frequently the better bargain.
If bullet weight/availability is the main concern, get another upper with a 1:7 or 1:9.
I wouldn't get radical and rebarrel the Silver Queen!
Moon
Agree completely

edited to add: Add a C&R permit and that means SBR and a suppressor.

New question different shop has Federal 5.56 M193 Ball FMJ and brass cased 20 rnd packs less than 10bucks and cases of it. My feeling is that this is good . Yes?

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 05-19-2008 at 19:41..
Old 05-19-2008, 19:07   #12
tjf76
CLM Number 271
Charter Lifetime Member

Looks Nice
tjf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 20:22   #13
halfmoonclip

jj-
It's not clear to me how familiar you are with ARs, and I don't mean to talk down to you. The good news is that you have a 'full circle' bolt carrier with a shrouded firing pin (aka an 'fullauto' carrier; nothing to worry about as long as the rifle only goes bang once for each trigger pull). The advantage is a little more mass to the carrier, and avoiding any fouling of the firing pin by the hammer notch, which can be a problem in some guns. Later Colts had these sporter carriers, which can cause bent firing pin retaining pins.

Your ammo prices seem a little steep. $0.80 @ is a lot, especially for remanufactured ammo. I recently got the same Federal M193 for $0.40 @ round, I think from Natchez, plus shipping. The M193 is reputedly good stuff, loaded to NATO velocity and quality.

If you Google gun-deals.com, you will see a breakdown of current prices; I'd avoid the steel cased stuff in your classic.

Really a beautiful rifle; have fun.
Moon

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 05-19-2008 at 20:31..
Old 05-19-2008, 23:17   #14
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

How familiar am I? Well I can answer that real fast. NOOB

I decided to buy a AR a couple months ago and did basic research on manufacturers and my options. Never figuring that I would buy a Colt. Well found out this one was available a week or so ago. Got my paws on it for inspection/testing last Friday. Stayed up all most all night researching the model and found no complaints, figured out why it looked like it did, and bought it Saturday morning.

And when I get the chance I'm doing more research and gaining more info from generous more experienced individuals like yourself and a few others.

Thank you

JJ
Old 05-20-2008, 08:50   #15
halfmoonclip

jj-

Whether it was good luck or good management, you have stumbled into one really spectacular rifle, and I promise that most of the posters here (even those who are less than fans of the Prancing Pony) are drooling all over their keyboards just looking at it. I had to stop and get the hairdryer so I could keep typing...
If you really like ARetros, it is possible to build a VietNam era replica from available parts; it would be more dark gray and evil than your sunny rifle.

As regards ammo, I believe that your model does not have the chrome barrel and chamber (it would say something like 'c mp chrome bore' behind the flashider as does my '70s vintage A1 upper). This isn't really a problem for civilians who aren't dragging it thru the Mekong Delta in a monsoon.
However, it is probably another argument for avoiding the steel cased Russian ammo as the chromeless chamber is less slippery.
I know some folks love Wolf for blasting, but it always seemed like feeding a $1.5K rifle cheap ammo is like running a Ferrari on Mexican low-test.
Have a look at the PriviPartisan; it has a good rep, and I've shot some. It chronos a little shy of Q3131 NATO stuff (3224 fps vs 3135 in 20") but it is consistent and looks good.
Moon
Old 05-20-2008, 15:58   #16
jjtroutbum
Armedflyfishing

Now wait a second. You know what they say about making assumptions right?...j/k lol

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Just one of the things I did figure out to check for on that Friday evening inspection.

T/y again

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 05-20-2008 at 18:17.. Reason: to make shure I didnt come off wrong
Old 05-20-2008, 20:08   #17
halfmoonclip

Jeeze, jj, you got it all.
I'd STILL stay away from da' Wolf...
But that rifle is one sweet setup.
Moon
Old 09-16-2009, 21:24   #18
MrM4

I found this thread while researching the colt guards, thought Id throw in some pics of my transferable RR Colt Guard for everyone.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

and 1 of the happy switch:
Black Rifle Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

South Dakota's Largest Machine Gun Shoot
MrM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 21:46   #19
HAIL CAESAR

(Edited to take out senile ramblings and to quit putting out bad information)

Last edited by HAIL CAESAR; 09-17-2009 at 11:34..
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 23:00   #20
Reb 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtroutbum View Post
What don't think my "bling bling" deserves a spot in the "Black rifle Club" ?

j/k..... Kinda threw me off the first time I saw it also.
Great looking Rifle nice to see something different for a change. I've always thought a 20' Rifle with 1:12 twist and 55 grn bullets was the best AR for combat. Terminal performace was awesome.