Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2008, 16:33   #1
RED64CJ5

Masonic Family? Does it skip a generation?

Many of us come from Masonic families. My grandfather and grandmother met as a result of his interest her leading the local Rainbow Girls back in '50. He went on to petition the lodge, later become WM, and obtain other offices in the district and York Rite bodies.

His two sons (my father and my uncle), are both Master Masons, yet are completely inactive. Partly I think they were more or less "enticed" by their very active father to join the fraternity (between DeMolay and being dragged to every event). Partly I just think they don't have the interest my grandfather has in the fraternity which is completely understandable since all men don't share the same interests. I ultimately believe they both possessed curiosity about their father's passion for the fraternity but didn't take full advantage of its privileges...

So why did I do it? I was never "enticed," or asked in any manner, shape or form, to join my grandfather's fraternity. A number of reasons went into play -- curiosity about what had been a part of my family for generations, curiosity about history, and the overall desire to obtain more knowledge. So, you could say that "family" came into play as to why I desired to become a Mason...but it was not a sole driver or purpose.

So I ask you, was it a family connection that led you to Masonry, and if so, how strong was that quest as a result of your family's involvement in the fraternity?
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 19:51   #2
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

My father and grandfather were Masons but died before I could know them.
My Mother often spoke of their Masonic involvement and that picqued my curiosity.
Also, two older brothers were very active but I was always too busy trying to make a living to spare the time.
Finally, with my kids grown and gone, I took the step. I deeply regret that I waited so long. It isn't anything like I imagined and I think a lot of men lose interest without ever really appreciating all that the fraternity has to offer.
The more I study and read, the more I find doors opened to me in the way of personal knowledge and growth... or light.
I realize that Masonry means different things to different people but I only recently came to appreciate what the full depth of the experience could be.
I wish you all the best in your travels.
bassman-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 20:35   #3
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Being more your father's age than yours I would suggest it is more about the generation than Masonry. The generation that followed the Greatest Generation didn't join anything.

I waited until about a year ago for several reasons, mostly in deference to my mother who was very opposed - she was opposed for all the wrong and warped ideas, but I waited none the less. That and my own kids got in the way.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37   #4
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatdriver View Post
Being more your father's age than yours I would suggest it is more about the generation than Masonry. The generation that followed the Greatest Generation didn't join anything.
I would say that's a fair statement. You can see this evident in other organizations that boomed after WWII and have slowly fizzled out in the late 70's and early 80's. I do feel we're starting to see more participation from the Baby Boomers but it's slow coming.. Not like the post-war boom of civic activities.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 18:26   #5
digitspaw
RIP 08/95~09/09

My late father was a Shriner and past President of the clowns at the Afifi Temple in Tacoma, WA.
Later, when he moved to Federal Way, WA. he became active in the Nile Temple in Seattle.
He passed before I could ask him about petitioning to join.

My younger brother was a Mason and he is also deceased.

Since I've recently relocated to Las Vegas from San Diego, I don't know any Masons in Nevada. Probably a couple right here in GT. The one gentleman who is a Mason and was a business acquaintance, has retired and I don't have his personal contact information. We had talked about it the last time I lived here, but I was just about ready to move back to San Diego. That was two years ago.

Go figure. Now I'm back in the blistering desert.
Old 05-22-2008, 19:32   #6
machinisttx

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitspaw View Post
My late father was a Shriner and past President of the clowns at the Afifi Temple in Tacoma, WA.
Later, when he moved to Federal Way, WA. he became active in the Nile Temple in Seattle.

Since I've recently relocated to Las Vegas from San Diego, I don't know any Masons in Nevada. Probably a couple right here in GT. The one gentleman who is a Mason and was a business acquaintance, has retired and I don't have his personal contact information. We had talked about it the last time I lived here, but I was just about ready to move back to San Diego. That was two years ago.

Google for Grand Lodge of (insert your state here). The Grand Lodge website should have lodge listings by city or zip code. Find a local lodge and find out when they meet(this may be listed on the Grand Lodge website). Show up 30 minutes to an hour before their stated meeting, and tell them what's on your mind over the dinner usually served prior to stated meetings. I think you'll get a petition.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 22:16   #7
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Paw,

If what Machinistx offered doesn't work let us know and we will get you the hook up in Vegas. Not a problem. Do what he suggested, but make it an hour at our lodge and you will most likely get a free dinner AND a petition.

PM me if you want me to look for a Vegas contact for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitspaw View Post

Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:21   #8
digitspaw
RIP 08/95~09/09

Thanks, guys!

I'll discuss this first with my family and take it from there.

Paw