Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2010, 21:42   #1
Linux3

What am I doing wrong with my M&P Pro

At tonight's shoot using my new M&P 9 Pro I kept shooting high and to the right. It was embarrassing.
Last week, the first time I shoot the pistol I had the best results I ever had. This week.......

What causes high and to the right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:58   #2
82ndVet

High shots are usually an indicator of anticipating recoil. Make sure you are pulling the trigger straight back, and not applying pressure to the right side of the trigger, or you'll push it every time. Likewise, make sure you don't have too much trigger finger (hooking the trigger), or you'll starting pulling the shot....assuming you are right handed...And relax. You've fired the gun already, and know what the recoil is all about. Let the shots surprise you. Don't tighten up, and don't flinch. Front sight should be crystal clear, and target slightly fuzzy. Practice is the key.
82ndVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:13   #3
MSgt Dotson

Is the shooter left handed, out of curiosity?
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:09   #4
Linux3

I am right handed.
Because the Pro has a much lighter trigger and a much shorter reset it was giving me a spot of trouble managing the trigger for double taps.

Maybe I am anticipating recoil. Little practice, practice today and I'll pay attention to trigger finger placement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-07-2010, 19:08   #5
RH45

Were you using the same ammo both times??
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:21   #6
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
Were you using the same ammo both times??
Yes I was. WWB 115 gr. FMJ.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:49   #7
mteagle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
I am right handed.
Because the Pro has a much lighter trigger and a much shorter reset it was giving me a spot of trouble managing the trigger for double taps.

Maybe I am anticipating recoil. Little practice, practice today and I'll pay attention to trigger finger placement.
Forget the thought of double taps, you should be doing controlled pairs as in getting a sight picture for each shot. Also forget the idea of catching the reset for the first 1000 shots. Go back to basics, let your finger touch the trigger, start taking up the overtravel until the gun fires, hold the trigger to the rear until the front sight returns to the notch, repeat until you get tired or run out of ammo.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 16:05   #8
Linux3

I don't know if I should feel stupid or be mad.
I went to the range today for a little more practice.
First couple of mags I'm hitting 3:00. Nice pattern but if you put a clock on a 8 1/2 x 11 paper target I would be hitting the #3 at 10 yards.

Then it got worse. I looked at the rear sight to see just how much adjustment I had then noticed that the front sight was loose.

On a M&P 9 Pro the front sight is a fiber optic sight. It was free floating!!
It's only held in place with some kind of glue and it had broke free. I could move it back and forth with no effort.
A stop at my friendly local Gun Smith used light blue locktite and re installed and centered the sight. Shoots great now.

What's up with Smith? The front sight free floats and is held in place with a dab of glue? No pressure fit? I am rather mad at S&W right now...

Old 01-08-2010, 16:40   #9
fastbolt

Not just something which affects S&W game gun models ...

I was listening to the head rangemaster for a rather large PD complain about how they had to have the front nights sights redone on all of the Sig 229's they received when they switched over to Sig's. He said the first indication of a problem was when several of the front night sights flew off the slides during training. The way I heard it, the cause was attributed to the wrong adhesive being used to install the sights ...

Things happen sometimes ...
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 20:19   #10
Linux3

I called S&W support yesterday and they are sending me a pre paid box to ship the pistol back to them.
But, I had a local gun smith re-glue the sight yesterday and today I shop IPSC with it and it's great.

So, do I leave sleeping dogs lie knowing that the sight is a lose fit and could break the blue Locktite at any time but still it shoots well. Or do I send it back to Smith because maybe they install a new front sight that is a friction fit?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:22   #11
MSgt Dotson

YOu could probably lightly peen the front sight yourself, if it comes loose again...
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote