at heaven’s very door.
Now, as we fly among them
there, we sadly hear their plea,
Take care, my friend,
Watch your Six…
And do one more roll for me."
Commander Gerald L. "Jerry" Coffee

PERSONALIZED TRIBUTES TO THE FACs KILLED IN ACTION[
These Tributes are to recognize the sacrifice the 223 Forward Air Controllers who "gave their all" in the Vietnam War. They are made as personal as possible to let you know they were real people who put themselves in harms way to protect the South Vietnamese, Laotian and Cambodian citizens from being forced to live under a communist regime caused by the invasion of their country by the forces of North Vietnam. They are also recognized for their devoted effort to protect ground forces when they came under attack by flying their aircraft low and slow over the battlefield to control the air strikes necessary to disrupt the enemy attacks.

These are the men I knew...I flew right seat with LtCOL Luna and CAPT Rex
Ivan J. Campbell
Crashed 22 November 1968

Captain Ivan J. Campbell was from Huntsville, Texas and born on 6 September 1943. He was 25 and single when he died. He was a Nail Forward Air Controller assigned to the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB Thailand. Captain Campbell and Major Richard C. Swift were flying O-2A S/N 68-6859 when the aircraft struck a tree and crashed. His body was recovered and his name is located at 38W 033 on the Vietnam Memorial.

Donald Alfred Luna
Missing In Action 1 February 1969

Lieutenant Colonel Donald Alfred Luna was from Houston, Texas and born on 17 April 1938. He was 40 and single when he was declared dead on 29 November 1978. Lt. Col. Luna was a Nail Forward Air Controller assigned to the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB Thailand and flying O-2A S/N 67-21432 out of Ubon AB Thailand. He disappeared on a Visual Reconnaissance mission near the town of Muang Phine in southern Laos. The operation was known as Commando Hunt. His remains were discovered and returned from the crash site in Savannakhet 15 miles west of Tchepone. His name is located at 33W 033 on the Vietnam Memorial.

Phillip Louis Mascari
Missing In Action 2 May 1969

Major Phillip Louis Mascari was from Caldwell, New Jersey and born on 3 December 1944. He was 34 and single when he was declared dead on 2 April 1979. Major Mascari was a Nail Forward Air Controller assigned to the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB Thailand. He was flying O-2A S/N 67-21305 on a mission at dusk near Tavouac in southern Laos 20 miles southwest of the A Shau Valley when he disappeared. Major Mascari was a former F-4 pilot who volunteered for a FAC tour and was flying his 33rd mission as a FAC. His body was not recovered and his parents attempted to discover his fate. A Laotian villager told them that he was buried near his aircraft. Major Mascari was promoted while missing and his name is located at 26W 100 on the Vietnam Memorial.

Robert F. Rex
Missing In Action 9 March 1969

Captain Robert F. Rex was from Odebolt, Iowa and born on 28 November 1941. He was 27 and single when he died. Captain Rex was a Nail Forward Air Controller assigned to the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB Thailand. He and Staff Sergeant Tim Leroy Walters US Army were flying O-2A S/N 67-21425 on a Prairie Fire mission supporting a reconnaissance team near Ban Nathon 10 miles west of the DMZ when they were shot down by ground fire. A ground team inspected the wreckage but was unable to recover the bodies due to enemy action. Sgt. Walters’ remains were eventually returned but not those of Captain Rex. He had four years of service and his name is located at 30W 095 on the Vietnam Memorial.

Richard C. Swift
Crashed 22 November 1968

Major Richard C. Swift was from Des Moines, Iowa and born on 14 July 1931. He was 37 and single when he died. He was a Nail Forward Air Controller assigned to the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB Thailand. Major Swift and Captain Ivan J. Campbell were flying O-2A S/N 68-6859 when the aircraft struck a tree and crashed. His body was recovered and his name is at 38W 039 on the Vietnam Memorial.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 19:11   #2
Waterwagonboom
MIG bait

I will never forget

The US Air Force Forum

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives
Waterwagonboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 19:35   #3
Ljunatic
On The Fringe

The US Air Force Forum
Ljunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:47   #4
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Thanks Russ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:59   #5
Cody Jarrett

Hats off to these fine Americans.

Cody Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 17:35   #6
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Russ,

As a ROMAD, I appreciate your rememberances of these men this day.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 18:20   #7
b52ace
NRA Patron

Russ,

A wonderful tribute!! Thank you.

Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
Through the great spaces of the sky;
Be with them traversing the air
In darkening storms or sunshine fair. Amen.
Old 05-25-2008, 21:23   #8
JKVL54

Thank You

Thank you to everyone who has served and their families.
Freedom is not free. Everyone should remember those who have served and thank them.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29   #9
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I spent most of my Memorial Day standing post.

Thankfully, it has been a slow day (just got off work).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:25   #10
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
I spent most of my Memorial Day standing post.

Thankfully, it has been a slow day (just got off work).
Thank you sir!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58   #11
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Somebody had to do it. Considering I've had about 4 major holidays off in this century, it doesn't exactly bother me.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 05-26-2008, 10:18   #12
Waterwagonboom
MIG bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Somebody had to do it. Considering I've had about 4 major holidays off in this century, it doesn't exactly bother me.

Welcome to reality. During my SAC days, I was married for five years before I spent my first Christmas at home with my wife.

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives
Waterwagonboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 13:39   #13
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Yup.

Since 2000, thanks to my various jobs plus now the USAF I've worked literally almost every holiday. Last Christmas/Thanksgiving I was deployed. The one before that I got Christmas off and worked the rest. Before that, worked both. etc etc.

Nothing new. Price you pay, and I don't particularly mind.
Old 05-26-2008, 20:05   #14
b52ace
NRA Patron

MrMurphy,

I'm thankful you were there. Spent many a holiday on alert... July 4th, 5 years in a row (actually felt I was safer there than on the roads or lakes ). I didn't mind either. I was doing something I felt was important and had plenty of time to celebrate if I wanted.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:59   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Yeah. My wife doesn't mind too much. She knows someone has to work, and on a holiday, I'm actually paying attention at work instead of *****ing about not being able to go get drunk (I don't really drink).
Old 05-27-2008, 20:29   #16
AF-Odin

Morris,

Where did you serve as a ROMAD?

My former ALO callsigns "Fireworks 02, Hogleg 01, Horseman 01, Toolkit 03-02-01"