Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-27-2008, 17:50   #1
rally

In Florida can EMTs start IV's?

In florida can EMTs start IVs? Just curious.....

On another note I want to work myself up to paramedic and/or firefighter with EMS being the first logical step. How hard is it to get a job as a EMT in the central florida area? How much can I expect to make and how hard will it be to attend transition over to paramedic with the schedule?

Thanks
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 21:08   #2
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Technically no you can't start IV's as an EMT in Florida. However, there are departments where the officer won't care and will let you, but on paper will write the medics license/badge #. If you're looking at private EMS about $10/Hour or so for EMT if you drive also. If you want to get on a fire/rescue department my advice, from personal experience is get your Paramedic license before your Fire certification, it will be the key to getting hired. Everyone is after Paramedics in the fire service especially from central Florida heading up North. Took me 4 years to get on, and the department I currently work for took my application while I was in Medic school. Got my license in December, started working in January. I was always denied a job as an EMT/Firefighter, besides placing in the top 10% on exams because I was not a Medic.

I myself am more partial to the FIRE side of the fire service, but the reality is that being a medic is where the opportunities and the money is at.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have or help you might need.

Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 16:08   #3
tc2129

EMT's can become IV ceritfied throught the service you are employed by as long as the Medical Director signs off. When I stated in 1998, I took an IV class taught by my service and was signed off by the MD. So yes, an EMT can become IV certified, it is just service specific.
tc2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 20:59   #4
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Yes you can if the medical director of your county/city area authorizes the EMT's and you take a IV course. Im a FF/EMT for Pasco County and I start IV's every shift. Hell our EMT's do everything but tube patients......

Facebook Fanpage:

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 21:18   #5
Renny
"Don't pick me"

It's not part of the EMT-B cert, but like they said, you can be signed off on it by your Medical Director.

Or you can go to school for a year and become an EMT-P.

I'll let you know how that works out for me once I graduate.

R
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56   #6
caneau

FYI, Intermediates (in places where they still do exist) can start IVs. There's a decent push to have EMT-Bs be doing what I's used to (IVs and a few expanded drugs + intubation) and P's to have more duties (i.e. 2 year associates degree mandatory and touching upon what's right now CCEMTP). How long before this trickles down to your region is anybody's guess.