Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:00   #1
bcphoenix

J-frame vs. Glock 26 for Pocket Carry

I currently pocket carry a Glock 26. It works for pocket carry but just barely. I'm thinking of getting a 642 Airweight for pocket carry. Has anybody had experience carrying both in the pocket and can you let me know which you preferred? I want something lighter that doesn't print as much as my G26. Thanks.

BC
Old 06-07-2008, 10:21   #2
Carver

I don't think this will help much, as I am new to CCW (still waiting for my permit to hit my mailbox actually)...

but i qualified with the g26 and airweight J frame and see these two as my carry pieces..

There is no question that if I am in a 'shootout' or multiple person engagement, I would prefer the G26, hands down.

That said, my pocket carry rig is way better with the hammerless J frame imo. Less print, and lighter. Lately I have been carrying (only on my properties as the CCW is not here yet) with a J frame and Barami grips (little clip in the pants)... and the revolver simply disappears, and is way more invisible than any glock carry option I have found (however this form of carry leaves the trigger unprotected, and allows for some positional shift).

Pocket carry, I prefer the J frame of the two... but again, limited experience with it.
(my ccw trainer kept repeating the mantra 'if you carry a glock, do not leave a bullet in the chamber'... go figure).
Old 06-07-2008, 17:03   #3
bcphoenix

Thanks for the response Carver. I agree that the G26 has the firepower advantage and that's that's the one I'd always go to (if my little black rifle wasn't available that is). I'm actually thinking about the J-frame for those times when the Glock doesn't work from a clothing/situational standpoint and the alternative is going unarmed. Not as a replacement for the G26. Plus, I've been looking for an excust to buy another gun. If I get an alternate piece, it will be a J-frame at this point. Thanks.
BC
Old 06-08-2008, 10:23   #4
FireMarshal
NRA Member

Have both the G26 and a S&W 637. For pocket carry, I prefer the 637. It's lighter and more comfortable. I agree my G26 is just too big for my pockets. I carry the G26 in an IWB setup and it's more comfortable.
FireMarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:26   #5
Dandapani

I pocket carry a 25 ounce, stainless steel, 5 shot, 9mm, S/W 940 snub nearly year round here in FL wearing just shorts and t-shirt. In the other pocket is another 5 round clip as backup. Makes for an almost invisible carry package. I couldn't do that with a G26. Yes, I did own one. Did.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:35   #6
durangojim36

I don't own a G26 but I do pocket carry a 642 every day. I'm in the medical field and it dissapears in my dress pants, especially beneath my lab coat. It is an excellent close range weapon which suits my needs. I have a G36 and G30SF which I carry in an MTAC when I'm not working, but for pocket carry the 642/j frame can't be beat.
durangojim36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 20:12   #7
cldbase

I own a 26 and a 642. The 26 is great, but you are right in thinking that you can't just slip it in your pocket like the airweight. The 26 has many advantages but when you pick up a lightweight snubbie you end up always having a gun with you.
cldbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:53   #8
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldbase View Post
I own a 26 and a 642. The 26 is great, but you are right in thinking that you can't just slip it in your pocket like the airweight. The 26 has many advantages but when you pick up a lightweight snubbie you end up always having a gun with you.
+1

My SW 442 goes almost everywhere with me in a Mikas pocket holster. It is so easy to carry around. My G26 is getting jealous. I told it that if it weren't so fat I'd carry it more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47   #9
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

Fwiw

I own a nice little collection of J frame smiths, and carry my 442 more than any other. It drops in my pocket daily in my newly acquired elite survival systems pocket holster. Keeping in mind I have pocket carried a J frame daily, and I mean everywhere, everyday for over 18 years. I keep myself well tuned to the little 5 banger, and trust my skills in close range combat/reload. I keep a pair of speed strips in a little key fob "wallet" in my back pocket, wrapped in a hankerchef. I look at the wear on my little 442 sometimes, the sharp edges are finish worn, the muzzel shows holster wear, but it is not a show piece. It has never been regulated to a primary duty weapon in my profession, but my ole stainless 60 has been deployed a few times from the jacket pocket of my duty coat, in defense of myself and did it's job well.

I own two styles pocket holsters for my G27, however I rarely if ever replace the 442 with the glock. The weight of the glock, coupled with mass makes it uncomfortable, and noticeable in 99% of the clothes I wear. I have carried it in my pocket when I could only carry one, and sometimes it has found it's way in the big patch pocket on the rear of bib overalls encased in a pocket holster.

The fact is when you become aware that you are going to carry a firearm, you will largely find the experience and opinions of others to be of great use to you. However you have to experiment and try different things that couple speed with comfort and concealment. The same holster that works great for you buddy at the local gun club, may feel like a bull horn prodding your neither regions. We who have taken the carrying and concealing a weapon seriously have a drawer, or in my case one of those large storage bins full of discarded holsters. The either flop when you walk, poke your in the ribs or worse, or has the speed potentional of a ribbon cane syrup in the klondike.

There is ever present argument of firepower, well if I need that much firepower then I want my suped up AR and a few 30 rounders. Fact is still and has been for those of us facing it in the real world, the pistol can prove to be an ineffective weapon to have when the bullets are flying. You must be skilled and posess the ability to come on target and place your shots. It is not a tool for supressive firepower. I see the compromise of mouse guns, and the one out in the truck leaving me with the question, tell me how it works out when you need it, if you still can.

Now for what it is worth, take that little pistol/revolver that you are comfortable with carrying and put it in some quality pocket hide and tote it with the confidence "you" have created by range practice and safety drills .
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52   #10
RemSp10
Ok I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcphoenix View Post
I currently pocket carry a Glock 26. It works for pocket carry but just barely. I'm thinking of getting a 642 Airweight for pocket carry. Has anybody had experience carrying both in the pocket and can you let me know which you preferred? I want something lighter that doesn't print as much as my G26. Thanks.

BC

I may have missed something BUT I hope you don't pocket carry that g-26 with a round in the chamber.
Old 06-12-2008, 22:16   #11
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemSp10 View Post
I may have missed something BUT I hope you don't pocket carry that g-26 with a round in the chamber.
O dear. When I pocket carry my Glock 26 it always has a round in the chamber. Of course it's in a desantis nemesis pocket holster.

I have pocket carried both, and if you're comfortable with 5 rounds of 38spl and the j-frame then it is a much easier/nicer to pocket carry than the G26. If you're pockets are plenty big the 26 works good, but smaller pockets or if you just want something lighter, the airweight j-frame is superior.

I have no reservations about carrying just the 5-shot j-frame. Though I often throw a speedloader or speedstrips in my other pocket. I originally bought the 642 airweight, then later bought a 340PD airlight because it was a heck of a deal. I don't think 357mags are necessary for defense against humans, but I carry them anyway.

Some pictures. I did these one day in a hurry for someone, so they aren't great, but I'll put them up anyway.

(click to enlarge)

Carpenter style jeans

Glock 26
The Snubbie Club
Glock 26 on left, Smith 642 on right
The Snubbie Club
Smith 642
The Snubbie Club

Smaller pocketed jeans

Glock 26 on left (a little obvoius), Smith 642 on right
The Snubbie Club
Smith 642
The Snubbie Club
Old 08-15-2008, 19:21   #12
TecRsq

Send a message via Yahoo to TecRsq
I have been carrying a GLOCK 27 for the better part of the last 12 years, it has been my every day carry or EDC firearm.

Last month I purchased a J frame variant in the S&W 360, it has become a constant carry piece, carried daily in a Kramer pocket holster.

I really like the portability and the manner in which I can make it disappear. I understand the fact that I am giving away in the area of round count but the size and weight or lack of bulk makes up for it when you choose to carry daily.

Like previously stated, the little J frames pack serious punch and they are considered always guns.

My GLOCKS still have their place as the 27 rides in the console and the 23 sits next to me wherever I may be in the residence.

But for everyday carry, while driving and on the motorcycle: that little J frame is very hard to beat.
Old 08-15-2008, 19:45   #13
Chup

I can carry my 26 in some rear pockets but, I carry it IWB most of the time. I carry my bobbed Mdl. 37 or 605 or Charter Undercover or SP101 in a pocket as backup. Today I worked the Gun Shop so I had the 26 IWB the 605 in a Belly Band and the Mdl. 37 in my pocket.

SO MANY GUNS SO LITTLE TIME
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 20:50   #14
fowler

Here we go again the g26 is not much of a pocket gun,but a good IWB belt gun.The only time I pocket carried my g26 or g23 was in the winter in my carhart artic pocket. 9 out of 10 times its a 642.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 23:31   #15
revel8
hedgehog

you cant realistically pockey carry a 26, i've tried. in a rear jeans pocket in a nemesis holster its great, but only for walking around the house or something... it could fall out fairly easily. in a front pocket, unless you leave the grip hanging out, it tends to get "lost" in there and snags horribly upon draw.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12   #16
Rikki
Pathetic Loser

I'd look at the 340Sc before buying anything.
Old 08-17-2008, 13:40   #17
SAWBONES
Hoplophilic Doc

No Glock carries well in a pocket unless you're Captain Kangaroo.
Old 08-17-2008, 15:06   #18
Brooklyn South

I have carried both the 642 & G26 holstered in a front pocket. The G26 only works for me in cargo trousers & shorts like Royal Robbins/511s. I have split the difference in weight and now frequently use a Kahr PM9. My PM9 has been fine, however other users here and elsewhere have had some problems.

Good shooting!

Last edited by Brooklyn South; 08-17-2008 at 15:07.. Reason: Spelling
Brooklyn South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 15:35   #19
sigpro-fessor
5 Times A Day

Those of you carrying the snubbies, are you carrying spare ammo? Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sigpro-fessor; 08-30-2009 at 01:13..
sigpro-fessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 19:33   #20
Korrupted

I recently picked up a S&W 38 and now find myself leaving the G23 at home. I absolutely love my j-frame now!
Korrupted is offline   Reply With Quote