GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:40   #1
BigDaddyK

How is the Air Force when taking prior enlisted?

Well I'm about to EAS from the Marine Corps. Keeping all of my options open, I was throwing around the idea of possibly joining another branch. I've heard in the past that the Air Force doesn't take Marines or any prior enlisted for that matter. Any truth to that?

If anyone could chime in and let me know what's going on right now I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
BigDaddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:17   #2
meeko

Your best bet would be to go directly to a AF recruiter. If recruiter 1 tells you something negative go to a different one. I also would go to a couple different ones several hour away from each other. I say this because sometimes you will get two totally different answers.(I am 21 years AF and ANG I took my son to see an active duty AF recruiter and he was only interested in telling me about his plan to get his next couple strips etc)

When I was in basic training we had several prior service people coming through with my basic training flight. They had like a two week basic (if they passed an evaul if not they stayed the whole 6 weeks) and then went on to whatever tech school so it can and does take prior service.

One other thing though, the AF goes in spurts. If they are not taking prior service "right now" it does not mean they will not be taking prior service in 6-12 months. They change their mind like that. So find a reputable recruiter that dosent want to talk about his promotion potential!

Good Luck
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 20:38   #3
Live With Honor

The latest information I heard (read: this information is not confirmed accurate, just what I've heard) is that the active Air Force is not currently taking prior service due to manpower "shaping" (forcing people out of active duty).

The guard and reserves are currently accepting prior service, however. As far as I know, you would not have to attend any basic training, and would head straight to tech school (A-school, AIT, equivalent). Also, a nice bonus is that you are considered TDY when you attend school, so you don't bunk with the troops, or play a lot of the reindeer games they have to play (falling out at 0400 for inspection formations, doing GI parties, etc.) You pretty much just go to school with them, then go back to your private room and relax afterwards. Of course, if your job in the USMC is recognized as the equivalent of the job you would be performing in the USAF, you may not have to attend tech school at all (example, you were an MP in the USMC, and wanted to transfer into Security Forces in the USAF).

Hope this answered your question somewhat.
Old 04-16-2008, 20:46   #4
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

I went ANG from Army Reserves and didn't have to do tech school since my MOS had an equivalent AFSC. I just enlisted, processed into my unit, and started training.

Re: force shaping and prior service for active duty- from what I know the AF does have x number of prior service slots but that number is for select AFSC's and is quite small. Before October is supposed to be the time to hit up recruiters for these slots.

If you want active duty AF, it will take some determination. If the Guard or reserves look interesting at all, you could do those without too much trouble.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 22:17   #5
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

Ask a recruiter. I've met a few prior Marines and Army personnel in the AF.
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:52   #6
Al U. 5811

I served from 1991 - 2005 in the Marine Corps reserve as a Combat Engineer then cross trained into Military Police for the final 5 years. I joined the Air Force Reserve in 2005 and am a Combat Arms Instructor. We have several prior Marines over on the Cop side and two in my shop as well.

Talk to an Air Force prior service recruiter. They will get you in. Be advised, it is a different world and you will be behind the power curve playing catch up for a few years.
Al U. 5811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55   #7
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Not common but around. When i was in tech school we had a LCpl who was a C130 mechanic, went Security Forces and kept his stripe (as a SrA). A Gunny was with another team, he lost one stripe (I think he was a SSgt in the Air Force but I only talked to him once).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:38   #8
DefenderC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyK View Post
Well I'm about to EAS from the Marine Corps. Keeping all of my options open, I was throwing around the idea of possibly joining another branch. I've heard in the past that the Air Force doesn't take Marines or any prior enlisted for that matter. Any truth to that?

If anyone could chime in and let me know what's going on right now I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Not true, I have a very good friend who is a TSgt on his second enlistment (3rd if you count the USMC)that was in the Marine Corps for 4 years first before crossing over.

He did not have to go through USAF basic training, but he DID have to go through technical training for the similar field. Different services do the same things the same way, but with different acronyms and processes.

That was then, this is now... with force shaping it may have changed. But it was not so much where the prior enlisted came from, but what functions they were going to and if they have room.

Best bet is to talk with a recruiter.
Old 05-04-2008, 21:22   #9
BigDaddyK

Well right now I'm an intermediate level avionics guy. Thanks for all of the replies guys. I guess I'll just call a recruiter and see what they say. Not sure how much **** they'll feed me though.
BigDaddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:57   #10
ATCer

One of the guys I work with was Navy for 4 or 6 years... can't remember. Anyway, I guesss the AF wasn't going to take him, but then did.
Old 05-12-2008, 14:15   #11
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

What in the hell is force shaping?

Oh gawd, they're gonna make you wear leather name plates on the sleeves!

(sorry, a joke for those who were in and remembered that ugly McPeak era)

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 14:44   #12
USMC Ryfleman
Scary Guy

I was in the Marines with a guy who I still talk to every now and then. He is now a "weather guy?" in the USAF.
Old 05-12-2008, 17:14   #13
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Combat or standard weather? Keesler was a nice place for school.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 19:09   #14
DrMaxit
Dirtbag Airman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Combat or standard weather? Keesler was a nice place for school.

I went to Keesler, but I was from GA so of course I loved it down there in the bayou area.

But to get back on topic, No, the AF is NOT taking any prior. We are downsizing or "shaping" from what I can tell, even some are being denied re-enlistment.

--Chuck
DrMaxit is offline   Reply With Quote