Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2002, 13:47   #1
CMEPTb

Hunting in California?

Sorry, I'm new to hunting and this forum but maybe someone here can give me a little advice. My friend's dad wants to go hunting and he'd like to know if there are any places to hunt deer in Kalifornia? Or is he going to have to go outside the state (maybe even Mexico)?

Would he need a license from the state? Are there guides who come along? How large is the area? Are there limitations on the license (either to several days of the year or number of deer)?
CMEPTb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:47   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

There are deer opportunities, usually more in Mid-CA and Northern-Ca though. Friend of mine in L.A hunts all the time. If you're in the L.A area, call Rauhaage's (bird hunting place, they also have pigs I think) it's in the L.A suburbs (Ontario) they would know more about hunting around CA. I never hunted while living in CA (most of my life) but I know pig hunting and deer hunting is available within a two-hour drive of L.A both south and north of it.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 16:49   #3
CMEPTb

thank you
Old 07-04-2002, 19:11   #4
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

I thought hunting in CA was banned last week.

It wasn't? Don't worry. It will be.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 23:58   #5

if you can live with a 3% success rate ,you can hunt deer in kali...
the hunting gets worse every year,thanks to DFG's wonderful mismanagement of the herds...
last i heard you could take up to 7!!! deer in a *****hole like NJ, but in kali you should consider it an act of God if you even see a deer...;g
Old 07-05-2002, 22:42   #6
CMEPTb

How about hunting in Mexico? or nearby states (near California) ?
Old 07-06-2002, 12:52   #7
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

Quote:
Originally posted by CMEPTb
How about hunting in Mexico? or nearby states (near California) ?
Forget Mexico. They'll lock you up for having so much as an empty brass casing. DO NOT take any guns or ammo into Mexico!
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 13:41   #8
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I always thought it ironic that guns are illegal in Mexico, and you'll get nailed for the smallest thing, yet at New Year's Eve in Ensenada, it sounds like a battalion-sized firefight for about five minutes.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 14:49   #9
Weaps
Drives A Jeep

Send a message via AIM to Weaps
It has been more than 15 years, but long ago I hunted in california with my dad. You don't say which part of cali you are speaking of, but since you mention Mexico I will assume you are speaking of souther cal.

We used to hunt (bow only mind you) on a mountain near Gorman called Mount Fraiser. Got to know that mountain VERY WELL. Anyway, it's up I-5 about 70 miles north of Los Angeles, up in the Los Padres National forest. The mountain is 8000 ft. or so high, and in fact my first memory there was of a single engine cessna plane crash which was being cleaned up while we were scouting it. I had one of the instruments left over from that site, and you can probably still pick up bits of charred aluminum to this day. At the time there were lots of blacktails, and between my dad, myself, and our hunting buddies we harvested about a dozen deer off that mountain. Killed my first buck there. If you do go up there, bonus points if you can find my dad's arrow stuck in a tree about 100ft off the ground. Every year we went there that arrow was still there. I'd be curious if it were there today. We found lots of other interesting things up there, like old timey soda cans that you used a can punch to open.

Other places we hunted were up by Mt. Shasta, but we didn't see many (any deer) up there. (Lots of volcanic stuff, but didn't see any deer.)

Don't know what it's like today, as I live on the other side of the country where hunters aren't viewed as evil.
Old 07-08-2002, 14:25   #10
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
in kali you should consider it an act of God if you even see a deer...
Wow!! LOL - that is funny!!! Deer are pests in California. People hire pest control companies to keep them out of their yards! No joke. Last night I watched the cutest pair of fawns running in circles around the base of an apple tree right outside my window while their mother lounged in the shade. Bucks are not quite as common, but all it takes is a little paitence.... not much...

Even in urban areas deer are fairly common: I have seen deer in peoples yards inside urban California towns I have lived in such as Santa Barbara and Sacramento.... Get up into the hills and countryside where we can hunt deer and they are thick!
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 20:27   #11

cali-glock , where in cali are you ? up here in the north end there is almost nothing left that the wets and viets haven't poached... 40 years ago they were as common as rats , now it's amajor effort to find anything legal to shoot...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:26   #12
Yoshi

Fortunately, I've never had the "opportunity" to "hunt" deer in an air-conditioned hut 100 yards from an automatic feeder, like I've seen in South Carolina and Texas.

As for deer, pig and turkey hunting, all 3 species are abundant all over Sonoma, Lake and Sierra counties.

I drive to one of my properties in Clearlake every 3 weeks or so, and always see deer and turkeys up on the hills. The pigs usually have gone to sleep by sun up in the summertime.

In California, "hunting" over bait (indeed within 500 yards of food) is prohibited. Perhaps this would explain why some of our more portly southern colleagus would appear to detest Californian hunting.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 16:09   #13
CMEPTb

Yoshi, is hunting legal in Sonoma, Lake, and Sierra counties? Is there a website or a phone number where I can get more info about hunting there?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:13   #14
9x45

Hunting is legal in all of California. Mendocino county is full of deer, and half of them are just standing there in a haze after munching ganja plants(with no deer fence). Sounds like you might be better off to 'pay to play' Try this place http://www.rockspringsranch.com/
Otherwise go to http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/deerhunt.html
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 19:31   #15
CMEPTb

Thanks 9x45
Old 07-14-2002, 01:28   #16
Grumpy Gardener

You still might be able to get a bow tag but I'm pretty sure you needed to have your rifle apps. in by like now. And as far as the best areas you'll want to check out Modoc,Siskiyou and some of the north-eastern areas. Huge bucks up there. Nice area. Good Luck.

gardener
Old 07-19-2002, 22:16   #17
devildog88

You can still get a tag for this season in the big zones(d7, d15). The premium tags are already gone.
Old 07-20-2002, 18:00   #18
BKD in Texas

Yoshi,

Your post is totally untrue and I think - uncalled for! I've never seen a Texas deer blind with AC yet...

But it's a good thought! I wonder what the quietest generators are... :>)

Take Care,
BKD
BKD in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 22:03   #19
Yoshi

Just run a hose from the AC duct of the leather clad Suburban you parked directly underneath the blind....
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 22:37   #20
Tphipps

I spent my first 30 years in Calif., much of the time hunting and fishing. There is a lot of decent hunting in California, you just need to know where to look. Deer hunting is nothing like it is in the East, deer are few and far between and there are many hunters on the public hunting lands. I always concentrated on the private forest lands (with permission) and on private areas like apple orchards, where the deer concentrate in the fall. It is tough hunting, but it is available.

The upland bird hunting is quite good, but I'll bet it is even more restricted than when I lived there (20 years ago).

Hey, you could always move to West Virginia like I did! The hunting is great out here!

Tim
Tphipps is offline   Reply With Quote