Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2008, 21:29   #1
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

Best place to buy from?

I think I know what camera I want, now I'm wondering what the best online store to buy from is. I love some of the prices I see a couple of the stores, but even though that get "5star" ratings, I hear they are a pain to deal with. So who's the best company to deal with a good price?.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 23:57   #2
hwyhobo

B&H Photo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 23:59   #3
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I've bought digital cameras from Dell.com and BuyDig.com recently and in the past, with nothing but great results.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 00:32   #4
Jdog

dbuys.com
ask for katrina
Jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16   #5
Fred
Lifetime Membership

I buy from B&H, BuyDig and Adorama w/o any problems. You might want to check out www.resellerratings.com first before you go with a particular vendor.
Thirty Dozen member #11
GSSF Forum member -BladeRunner #11
California Glockers Club member #11, NRA member
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:37   #6
Curley

Agreed: B&H, buydig.com and Adorama are all legitimate and reputable.

Avoid Broadway Photo and any of its other Internet incarnations like the plague. The reason their prices are so low is because it's gray market merchandise, or they don't include essentials like the battery, recharger, etc. -- stuff that comes in the box.

They'll call you and try to get you to pay extra for items that should be included in the price.

FYI, B&H (and maybe Adorama) sell gray-market merchandise, but they tell you up-front if that's the case. And they also offer the U.S. market equivalents, which have a full U.S. warranty.

Last edited by Curley; 06-17-2008 at 09:38.. Reason: correction
Curley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 16:40   #7
Hokie
NRA Member

Is something wrong with your local camera store? I always like being able to go in and look over/play with the stuff and ask questions and you do not have to wait to get your stuff. I only buy things online if I can not get it locally.
Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 16:48   #8
bigzebra

I have had great luck with Amazon and B&H.

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT purchase photography equipment from any online retailer where the prices seem too good to be true, because they are!!! They WILL screw you three ways from Sunday!!!

There is of course your local camera store (avoid Wolfe, though). You should not dismiss shopping at your local independent camera shop either.
bigzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 17:10   #9
MrsKitty

B&H first for me. Then Amazon or Adorama.

B&H usually has better prices and ships FAST.
Old 06-17-2008, 20:38   #10
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Is something wrong with your local camera store? I always like being able to go in and look over/play with the stuff and ask questions and you do not have to wait to get your stuff. I only buy things online if I can not get it locally.
Good point. I just picked up a D300 from my local shop today. I called the owner yesterday, and asked her what a D300 body and MB10 grip would cost me. The price she gave me was less than what I could've gotten online, from a reputable dealer. Especially, since it came with the free version of Nikon Capture NX.

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 21:06   #11
Fred
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Sometimes depends on where you live. My two local stores will not match a price, and are generally quite a bit higher than an online vendor. Couple that with an 8% sales tax and there is a BIG difference.
Thirty Dozen member #11
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53   #12
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

Quote:
My local camera store? The 2004 census shows a population for my town as being 1,392, up from 1,349 in 2000. The guess for 2012 is a population of 1,405. Ok another site shows 13,780, with a population density of 104, so I guess thats the population for the whole mailing area. Point being, there is no "local" camera store. Closest one if probably going to be at least 40 minutes away if there's one in the nearest big town, I'm guessing really an hour+.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 16:33   #13
Hokie
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Couple that with an 8% sales tax and there is a BIG difference.
You still owe the 8% tax since it was mailed into the state you are suppose to pay use tax on it. Now the chances of you getting caught are low (assuming you are not a business) but legally you should pay it.
Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 18:23   #14
Fred
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
You still owe the 8% tax since it was mailed into the state you are suppose to pay use tax on it. Now the chances of you getting caught are low (assuming you are not a business) but legally you should pay it.
Of course I'm supposed to pay the tax. The point I was trying to make is the huge difference in item cost between the mail order and local vendor. Couple that with the 8%, and it's a no brainer for me - I buy from mail order. Claiming the tax on my return is no big deal compared to the money I saved.
Thirty Dozen member #11
Old 06-18-2008, 18:34   #15
OgenRwot
Politico

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyhobo View Post
+1 That place has the best deals around, great customer service and prompt delivery.

Quote:
We're the coolest guys on the internet. Friday night and we're talking about tap water on an online forum....
OgenRwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 21:20   #16
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usingmyrights View Post
My local camera store? The 2004 census shows a population for my town as being 1,392, up from 1,349 in 2000. The guess for 2012 is a population of 1,405. Ok another site shows 13,780, with a population density of 104, so I guess thats the population for the whole mailing area. Point being, there is no "local" camera store. Closest one if probably going to be at least 40 minutes away if there's one in the nearest big town, I'm guessing really an hour+.
Ditto.

My closest store is a Ritz and it is almost an hour away. The next closest is another Ritz that is about 90 minutes away.

There used to be an AWESOME store an hour away but the owners retired
Old 06-18-2008, 23:35   #17
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty5077 View Post
My closest store is a Ritz and it is almost an hour away. The next closest is another Ritz that is about 90 minutes away.
I have a store 30 minutes away (with no traffic). Then it's 20 minutes inside IF someone finally decides they can be bothered to talk to you. Forget touching anything. You are always an idiot who needs to be patronized. Prices are not that good. Return policies are much worse than good online stores.

There are also a couple of more decent stores much farther away. They prices would give you a heart attack.

Quote:
There used to be an AWESOME store an hour away but the owners retired
Same here. That was many years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 14:07   #18
chip00

B&H, JandR
Old 06-19-2008, 21:36   #19
MrsKitty

The store that closed was awesome. My father bought a Nikon 2020 and some lenses when I was about six or seven. Might be a tad older... When he was comparing models, there were salesmen giving me cameras and film and letting me "play" in the store. On the last trip we made there, they gave me prints of the crap I had shot. Man...if they were open now....
Old 06-20-2008, 14:36   #20
DeadMansLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyhobo View Post
Top notch.

[/B] *
DeadMansLife is offline   Reply With Quote