SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2008, 18:45   #1
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Just my luck

So I've finally racked up about 700 miles on the 650R and I needed to get it serviced. Yeah, I'll do subsequent ones myself but I wanted the first one done by pros.

The local dealer has enough business not to care. They won't take appointments and they expect you to leave the bike for 3-4 DAYS until they can get to it. I figured I'd call a dealer further out (from DC) to see if they would be better.

I contact a dealer in Leesburg, about 25 miles from me. Great folks. I can make an appointment and they service the bike while you wait. Perfect! I'll take a nice ride, get some good service, be home in time for corn flakes. (Technically I'm playing hooky from work a bit). Home in plenty of time to pick up the kids. The wife is out of town for the weekend so it's just me.

So, this morning I ride down there. Arrive fine, service guys take the bike, offer to stow my gear, and I potter around the showroom.

About 15 mins later one of the service dudes comes out. "Did you know you've got a screw in your tire?"

I said "A screw?!?! No! It must have just happened on the way here."

The dude says "Well, we don't have any replacements for that size tire, either."

I looked at the rear tire, the dang screw was DEAD center. Man, what are the freakin chances of THAT happening? A bike tire must have a contact patch of 3 inches. 3 inches out of a 12 foot lane. One lane out of 3 available.

Whatever, I paid for a new tire which will show up on on Tuesday and called a buddy to shlepp my butt back home. $220 down the tubes. I rode to the far-away dealer and ended up dropping off my bike for 4 days anyway!!

Now, I know that as much I am considering this to be rotten luck I suppose I should be extremely thankful for two things:

1. No flat at 65mph and no blowout. This could have been WAY worse.

2. That I got friends willing to schlepp my butt 26 miles home in the middle of a work day.

I'm really trying to look at this in a positive light, but it's awefuly hard!

-Stooxie
Old 06-20-2008, 19:04   #2
Sprayr

Is she hot?

Sorry, wrong thread

Consider yourself lucky, shrug your shoulders and be happy that you're still there for your kids & wife, and not wrapped around a tree on the side of the road.

just my 2c

Sprayr
Sprayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 23:50   #3
GlockSupremacy
Recycle Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
So I've finally racked up about 700 miles on the 650R and I needed to get it serviced. Yeah, I'll do subsequent ones myself but I wanted the first one done by pros.

The local dealer has enough business not to care. They won't take appointments and they expect you to leave the bike for 3-4 DAYS until they can get to it. I figured I'd call a dealer further out (from DC) to see if they would be better.

I contact a dealer in Leesburg, about 25 miles from me. Great folks. I can make an appointment and they service the bike while you wait. Perfect! I'll take a nice ride, get some good service, be home in time for corn flakes. (Technically I'm playing hooky from work a bit). Home in plenty of time to pick up the kids. The wife is out of town for the weekend so it's just me.

So, this morning I ride down there. Arrive fine, service guys take the bike, offer to stow my gear, and I potter around the showroom.

About 15 mins later one of the service dudes comes out. "Did you know you've got a screw in your tire?"

I said "A screw?!?! No! It must have just happened on the way here."

The dude says "Well, we don't have any replacements for that size tire, either."

I looked at the rear tire, the dang screw was DEAD center. Man, what are the freakin chances of THAT happening? A bike tire must have a contact patch of 3 inches. 3 inches out of a 12 foot lane. One lane out of 3 available.

Whatever, I paid for a new tire which will show up on on Tuesday and called a buddy to shlepp my butt back home. $220 down the tubes. I rode to the far-away dealer and ended up dropping off my bike for 4 days anyway!!

Now, I know that as much I am considering this to be rotten luck I suppose I should be extremely thankful for two things:

1. No flat at 65mph and no blowout. This could have been WAY worse.

2. That I got friends willing to schlepp my butt 26 miles home in the middle of a work day.

I'm really trying to look at this in a positive light, but it's awefuly hard!

-Stooxie
Positive side huh?!?!

No guarantee that the screw was picked up on the ride there...could have been at the end of your driveway, perhaps not even that day. Good they spotted it!

The tire is cheap compared to if you would have crashed...jacket, helmet, the bike....or you!

Sucks but look at it this way...your odds for ever getting another flat on that bike have probably gone down by quite a bit!
GlockSupremacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 20:44   #4
Lone Wolff
Tire World...

Crazy luck man. I just got over 3000 miles on my 919, and I was rolling out of the garage last Friday(the 20th), and the back tire is FLAT. Sure enough..a screw. I must have picked it up Thurs on my way home from work. I was thinking the same as you, 'Man what horrible luck. Plenty of tread left. AH!'

I've got a friend who's pretty hardcore into motorcycling, and he is willing to mount a new one for me for a 6 pack. So at least I'm saving money there!
Lone Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote