Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2002, 22:54   #41
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

I was disappointed with my Mini-14 and wanted better quality in 308 so I could hunt with it. I hoped for the same size rifle.

After much searching I found the H&K SL7! A wonderful rifle built in the military style like the Mini-14.
http://www.hkpro.com/sl7.htm

Its fancy brother is the hunting rifle version of the SL7 and is called the 770.
http://www.hkpro.com/hk770.htm

Both of these use H&K's proven "91" type action but are installed in wooden stocks that do not offend the gun grabbers like the synthetic "assault rifles" do.

I hear that H&K has a new semi-auto hunting rifle on the market but I'm yet to see one.

I also own a couple of the old BARs and feel they are top quality.
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 00:03   #42
G19-30

Another vote for the Armalite AR-10. And yes I have one too. Also the gun dealer that I bought it from in Virginia. Said that he has taken many deer and elk with his AR-10. The AR-10 is lighter than the M1, FAL, and H&k91. Also the recoil is very low. Also Armalite has the best customer service. They also have a full lifetime warranty. And the time I did have to use there warranty. It was great. 2.5 week turnaround and no cost to me. They even paid for the shipping. And the AR-10 is very accurate. Your husband will love you if you get him an AR-10. The most popular model is the AR-10A4. You can also get it in camo. The match grade is the AR-10T models. Go to :www.armalite.com
G19-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:23   #43
Sixgun357

I heard you cant use JHP in the AR-10. I could be wrong I have never shot one but thats what I read somewhere.

For god, my country and my AR-15...
Just not necessarily in that order.
Sixgun357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:45   #44
chevrofreak

i still like my suggestion, as the SR-25 is based off the AR-10 ;a
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 06:18   #45
oldsmith

I'm a big fan of the M1 Garand and would like to hunt with mine. (I have two) I think it would make a great hunting rifle, but is a little heavy. It should be easy to get in Cali. You can get an adjustable gas plug (I don't have one yet) that would allow you to shoot just about any hunting load you want. Get it from the CMP for about $500 and you also have a real, G.I. weapon. Though not in new condition, mine are very-good to excellent. www.odcmp.com.

That said, I'm looking into a nice bolt action .30'06.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:27   #46
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I use a turnbolt and never could understand using an evil assault rifle for hunting non-humans. But like Arnold said "Diff'rent strokes"

I was deer hunting once and was surprised to hear a string of 30 rounds of quick semi-auto from behind a nearby hill. I don't know if the guy killed anything or not but he sure convinced me to leave.

Before I get flamed I should add that I DO beleive every citizen should be issued an M16 for militia use...
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 07:19   #47
jasonvp
Lifetime Membership
Kantre Member

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak i still like my suggestion, as the SR-25 is based off the AR-10
Actually, I think the AR-10 is based off of the SR-25, technically. ;-) In either case, I agree with Chevro; the SR-25 is going to be a difficult rifle to beat as far as accuracy goes. The problem is, as G&KL points out, California. I don't believe the Stoner/Knight's rifles are legal there. Grrr.

Sharpshooter, historically, bolt action rifles have indeed been more accurate than semis. But it's just not the case any longer. An accurized semi-automatic rifle such as one from Knight's (Stoner) will hold its own against just about any bolt you can throw at it. If the bolt action wins in accuracy, it'll only be by a small amount; not enough to make a difference when your accuracy needs to be Minute-of-Deer.

Hailstorm: a Barrett M82A would be mighty handy for making instant, one-shot venison stew. :-) That's just funny.

G&KL: Other than the SR-25s (or, more specifically, a Mk11 Mod 0.. :-)) I'm not sure what to suggest. What happened to moving to Colorado; did that fall through? I guess that's my suggestion: move. ;f (I jest, of course.)

As for the rifle rounds, yes, the "expensive" ones are typically match loads. Ultra accurate, nice, flat, predictable trajectory, and almost always done in hollow points. They just make for better match rounds. And, since they are hollow points, they'd probably make for excellent hunting rounds as well. *SPLAT*

jas
Old 07-08-2002, 07:27   #48
CavVet
Colt .45 CCW

Kalifornia Legal FAL Available Here

;a
CavVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 07:29   #49
chevrofreak

ok so i dont know when they were designed, but i do know the SR-25 is awesome ;a

just kinda assumed it was the SR-25 off the AR-10 since the AR-10 has been around since the 60's or 70's

Old 07-08-2002, 07:32   #50
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

With all the great bolt action rifles running around, why would one "try" to find a semiauto rifle that has acceptable weight to oomph ratio, not to mention accuracy standards, for hunting?

There's a difference between picking a semiauto rifle that "does it all" and finding a rifle strictly for hunting.

Why would one try to pack a ten pounds .308 semiauto rifle for hunting when a seven pounds bolt action does the same job if not better?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:20   #51
jasonvp
Lifetime Membership
Kantre Member

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak
but i do know the SR-25 is awesome
That it is. Specially in Mk11 Mod 0 trim. :-)

Quote:
just kinda assumed it was the SR-25 off the AR-10 since the AR-10 has been around since the 60's or 70's
If that's the case, then the AR-10 may very well have been around longer. Stoner designed the SR-25 with Reed Knight's help back in the 80s, I think. I was under the impression that he was more interested in basing it off of the M-16 than any AR-10, but I might be mistaken.

In either case, it's a hell of a rifle.

jas
Old 07-08-2002, 09:32   #52
Jeff OTMG

FN 49 in .30-06
Jeff OTMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:58   #53
G31

You could also get a Browning BAR. I'm not talking about the old BAR used by the military, although that would be perfect, I mean the PC hunting BAR currently produced in various calibers.
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 13:17   #54
midnight
Bigoted Member

Send a message via AIM to midnight
Quote:
Originally posted by GlockM23

Am i looking at the wrong place or wrong caliber?
You're looking in the wrong place. Yes, you can find .308 ammo that costs that much, but as G&KL said, its specialty or match ammo. Try Wal-Mart. Winchester's USA loading is affordable in all cailbers. Try www.dansammo.com, where I just ordered South African surplus .308 for 12 cents/round. I don't even think match ammo is available for 7.62x39. You gotta compare apples to apples.

BTW, the 12c/round price is a special he has going on, its not listed at that price on the web site. The web site lists it for about 14c/round IIRC.

midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 13:22   #55
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
With all the great bolt action rifles running around, why would one "try" to find a semiauto rifle that has acceptable weight to oomph ratio, not to mention accuracy standards, for hunting?
Me for example (please look at my post in the rimfire section) is looking for a "hunting" rifle that is more of a crap-a-wild-animal-is-attacking-the-sheep rifle. So, expecting a ruckus, I want a lot of fast follow-up shots in case the first shot is not a good one.

And my wife isn't very good operating a bolt action, so it is perhaps even more of an issue for her.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 18:11   #56
micah
loves you all.

Certainly..I don't really get your post..
"Those who will settle for nothing but a bolt action will settle for a muzzleloader, then a bow, then for golf instead of hunting."
I use bows, bolt guns, single shots, muzzle loaders and handguns for hunting. Am I somehow at risk of becoming a golfer?
Also, do note that people have fought, and continue to fight quite succesfully with bolt guns.
Another also, I don't shoot at large game, I shoot at the large game's heart. 1.5 MOA will not always do. Also, I get every last foot pound of energy out of my single shot and bolt guns, nothing lost to inefficiency.
Nothin' wrong with a good auto, just don't "sell out" the bolt guns, they're not without their merits. Regards.

Woe and death to all who oppose my will.
micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 23:49   #57
chevrofreak

micah, i believe that Certainly was refering to the common statements like "you dont need an AR-15 to hunt"

while not everyone uses them, some do.

the gun grabbers know that few do, so they think that they can ban those guns without that much of a fuss (look at california) if it keeps going like that we'll be left to hunt our deer with a sharpened spoon and a rock.

Old 07-11-2002, 17:42   #58
10mmGuy

Best semi-auto hunting rifle? Hmmm guess my favorite is my G20. It's scary how accurate that thing is!
Old 07-12-2002, 15:56   #59
9x45

Why is having a semi-auto rifle the main selection criteria? The best hunting calibers and hunting ammo are made for bolt rifles. 7.62x39 is not a hunting round.
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 16:17   #60
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

There are semiautos chambered in .270, .308, .30-06, .243, etc.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote