Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-30-2008, 20:24   #1
ArodJohns

I'm back with more questions

Well, after getting my weight down to standard and preparing to go take the ASVAB in the morning I wanted to ask a few questions that my recruiter was a little vague about.

As a linguist, what kind of things would I be doing? I'm sure translating which ever languages I learn is one, but would there be anything else?

Have any of you been to DLI (I believe it's called DLI, please forgive me if I'm wrong)? In case I screwed up the acronym, it's the language school in or around Monterrey, CA. If so, what kinds of things are around there?

Thanks in advance! I'll let you know what I score as soon as the recruiter tells me.
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 14:51   #2
ArodJohns

Just got home from taking the ASVAB.

I scored a 79. Thursday we're heading down to MEPS to enlist.

Recruiter said that he's not for definite, but he believes the soonest open spot to ship is the far side of August/Short side of September.

I'm just that much closer to a life long dream.
Old 07-01-2008, 20:05   #3
AF-Odin

USMC linguists do much the same things as linguists in other branches. Most work in intelligence listening and translating what they hear. Those with better language skills can get into the interrogator field. The DLI is at Monterrey, CA. A beautiful place, but VERY expensive especially for a young enlisted DLI student. Depending on the language, you could go to school at other places like Lackland AFB or Goodfellow AFB in TX. The services pretty much have pooled linguist training. Regardless, DLI is a tough school that will require a lot of work. Back in the 60s and into the 70s, some students went to civilian universities--Some students of Russian went to Syracuse. Linguist can be a very interesting career, but depending on the language, CAN limit assignments--not much need for a Korean linguist in Italy or an Arabic linguist in Japan.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2008, 21:57   #4
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-Odin View Post
USMC linguists do much the same things as linguists in other branches. Most work in intelligence listening and translating what they hear. Those with better language skills can get into the interrogator field. The DLI is at Monterrey, CA. A beautiful place, but VERY expensive especially for a young enlisted DLI student. Depending on the language, you could go to school at other places like Lackland AFB or Goodfellow AFB in TX. The services pretty much have pooled linguist training. Regardless, DLI is a tough school that will require a lot of work. Back in the 60s and into the 70s, some students went to civilian universities--Some students of Russian went to Syracuse. Linguist can be a very interesting career, but depending on the language, CAN limit assignments--not much need for a Korean linguist in Italy or an Arabic linguist in Japan.

Good luck.
Awesome. Thanks bud.
Old 07-03-2008, 16:23   #5
SASSGlock2

My boss is a retired Navy O-6. When he was a young ensign, he went to DLI for a year of Russian. He says when he was 21, he thought a black Russian was a drink. When he was 22, he was one.

Best of luck to you.

Semper Fi
SASSGlock2 is offline   Reply With Quote