Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08   #1
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

The new G.I. Bill...

I hope this doesn't come across as selfish...

I saw that service members no longer have to pay into it and it makes me wonder...for those of us that did pay into it and we used up our benefits, do we get the money we paid into it back?

I put $1800 into it and it would be nice if they issue refunds for those that also paid into it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25   #2
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iceman View Post

I saw that service members no longer have to pay into it and it makes me wonder...for those of us that did pay into it and we used up our benefits, do we get the money we paid into it back?

I put $1800 into it and it would be nice if they issue refunds for those that also paid into it.
$1800? It was $1200 for me, $100/month for your first year, eligible for it after your 3rd year...

drew
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:48   #3
Biscuitsjam

I've been using REAP, which doesn't require you to pay into it...

REAP is for reservists that have been deployed, and it pays 40-80% of the active-duty GI Bill. The normal reservist GI Bill is so tiny as to be laughable, so REAP is a huge improvement. However, no matter how many times a reservist deploys, he'll never qualify for the same kinds of benefits as active-duty soldiers.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 16:09   #4
luv2brode

i only qualified for mine do to becoming da vet
luv2brode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:09   #5
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
$1800? It was $1200 for me, $100/month for your first year, eligible for it after your 3rd year...

drew
Back in 2003, they had a program where if you invested an extra $600 into the G.I. Bill, then you will recieve an additional $150 a month when you collect it. Made sense to me considering I invested $600 and got $5,400 extra over my 36 months.
Old 07-02-2008, 21:10   #6
93GT
The Ogre

I just finished using mine that I paid the extra 600 kicker into and saw no benefit from since I was still active when I used it and never saw the extra 150 a month. Too bad I didn't wait 4 years to go to college, all of the extra pay would have been nice instead of going into debt.
93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 23:16   #7
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GT View Post
I just finished using mine that I paid the extra 600 kicker into and saw no benefit from since I was still active when I used it and never saw the extra 150 a month. Too bad I didn't wait 4 years to go to college, all of the extra pay would have been nice instead of going into debt.
Ouch! I would have gotten on them about that extra $150 a month! They tried to deny mine but I had the proof that I paid it so they had no choice but to honor it.

It would have been really nice to get this new G.I. Bill instead of using the old one!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:14   #8
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iceman View Post

No. Those of us who paid into Chapter 30 are not entitled to a refund. The "Post 9/11" G.I. Bill is an entirely new chapter. Those who are currently paying into the MGIB may elect to stop those payments and convert to Chapter 33. However, money paid into Chapter 30 is not refundable.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19   #9
Biscuitsjam

I've been doing a little research, and it appears that reservists will qualify for this new GI Bill also.

40%: 90 days to 6 months
50%: 6 to 12 months
60%: 12 to 18 months
70%: 18 to 24 months
80%: 24 to 30 months
90%: 30 to 36 months
100%: over 36 months

Before a soldier could get 36 months of REAP or 36 months of MGIB-SR or 48 months of a combination of the two. I think that will still be the case.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote