Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2008, 22:26   #1
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Vets may now salute the US Flag

Good change to the rules of conduct.

Now, officially veterans may salute the flag when present, but not in uniform.

Many of us already did this, but now it is officially proper to do so.

Veterans may now render the military salute to the flag.
U.S. Government Printing Office Web Site ^ | 28 Jan 2008 | United States Congress

Public Law 110-181, Section 594:

SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.

Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking ``all persons present'' and all that follows through the end of the section and inserting the following:

All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute.

All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.

All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 00:17   #2
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

Good stuff to know! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2008, 00:58   #3
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

I never knew that. I always see Vets salute the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000, LMT MRP CQB, Ruger 10/22
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50   #4
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypilot View Post
I never knew that. I always see Vets salute the flag.
That's cuz they were doing the right thing. Took the law a while to catch up.

It bears noting this addresses honors to the flag but does not extend to the National Anthem.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:18   #5
sfguard
Spread Out!

Oh boy, I am sooooo glad they think I care about their permission to salute a flag I have went through hell over. I am really getting sick of politics and their more holy than though attitudes . This REPUBLIC needs to become a true democracy and have some politicians walking the un-employment line because they are running it into the ground

Proud Veteran of JTF Bravo, Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi freedom
sfguard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25   #6
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfguard View Post
This REPUBLIC needs to become a true democracy and have some politicians walking the un-employment line because they are running it into the ground
This country began as a Republic, and it did quite well for itself until the politicians began to convince people that a "true democracy" would be a better form of government.

As some of the greatest minds in human history have observed, "true democracy" quickly becomes a cluster-**** from hell:
Quote:
“It had been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience had proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity.”
Alexander Hamilton June 21, 1788

“The world is weary of statesmen whom democracy has degraded into politicians.”
British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli -1850

“The adoption of Democracy as a form of Government by all European nations is fatal to good Government, to liberty, to law and order, to respect for authority, and to religion, and must eventually produce a state of chaos from which a new world tyranny will arise.”
Duke of Northumberland 1931

“I have long been convinced that institutions purely democratic must, sooner or later, destroy liberty or civilization, or both.”
Thomas Babington Macaulay

“Democracy forever teases us with the contrast between its ideals and its realities, between its heroic possibilities and its sorry achievements.
Agnes Repplier

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
C.S. Lewis

A good politician under democracy is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
H.L. Mencken
No offense, but as a student of history myself, I'll take their observations (and my own) about Republic vs Democracy over yours. The founders of this country hated democracy, and would have fought a dozen Revolutionary Wars to avoid it at all costs.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 14:54   #7
NotSoFast

Thanks for the info. Will do next time.
Old 07-16-2008, 21:34   #8
Meat-Hook

deleted.
Meat-Hook is offline   Reply With Quote