GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2008, 23:04   #1
Rocknropes

Applying to OTS, with AFROTC as backup. Any Tips?

*I'VE BEEN SELECTED!!!
*I'VE BEEN SELECTED!!!

Ok, I'm graduating this summer with a BS in electrical engineering and I have my heart set on becoming a commissioned officer in the USAF. I've heard that OTS is very competitive and although Im very nervous/scared about it Im going to apply anyway. As as backup I want to go back to school for either my masters or a 2nd bachelor's and do AFROTC just in case I don't get into OTS. I can't put off signing up for ROTC because I can only start it in the fall semester. If I end up getting accepted into OTS I won't go until after the semester is over anyway, so worse comes to worst I'll have done a semester in AFROTC and taken a few classes before I get sent to Alabama. Do you guys have any tips or advice based on what I've just said? or just general USAF or officer tips/advice? Thanks in advance.

*I'VE BEEN SELECTED!!!

Last edited by Rocknropes; 02-17-2009 at 14:20..
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 23:49   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Sounds like a very good plan.

Have you talked to a recuiter about this?

Might be helpful.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 23:52   #3
Rocknropes

I've mentioned it to the AFROTC recruiter and they said it sounds like a decent plan, I emailed her again to schedule a time to sit down and talk about it in depth. My OTS recruiter is out of town at the academy right now So I can't talk to him until next week. I figure the only thing i've got to lose is one semester's worth of tuition, but I Figure i can use that towards a masters later anyways after the GI bill.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:49   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

1. BS level is high. I went through Army ROTC and I'm USAF enlisted. Any officer training course has a LOT of BS.

2. Time management and temper management. Learn both or die. My LT is prior enlisted and went ROTC. His new protege is a new 2LT and graduated from the Citadel. Being that I went halfway through what they went all the way through we swapped some stories yesterday at a unit function and much is still the same as when I was doing it for the Army.

3. Use the damn phone and talk to the recruiter. He HAS to have a cell and this is not something you do blind.

4. If you know any AF officers (active or fairly recently retired) now would be the time to talk to them.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 15:42   #5
b52ace
NRA Patron

It's been a few years since I went through ROTC, but you used to have to sign a contract for the last 2 years of ROTC. Is that not the case now? If so, and you enter ROTC for 2 yrs while you get your Masters, you would already be under contract with the AF and couldn't go to OTS. I may be confused about the current rules, but I would be very sure what your obligations will be before signing up for ROTC. You might want to talk w/ the ROTC commander or commandant of cadets at the university you plan on attending. They can give you the straight skinny.

I spent 28 years as an officer, rated and non-rated, and retired Sep '04. It is a flyer's AF. You can do lots of good things and get promoted to the highest ranks, but realize who the AF is designed for. That said, you'll be given responsibilities as a young officer your classmates will never see in the civilian world. And remember this one thing... the enlisted force will save your butt or they will bury it! Your senior NCOs have the experience to run the organization. Use them and learn from them.

Good luck in your quest. And thanks for looking to serve.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14   #6
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

OTS is extremely competitive. afrotc is a good back up plan. dont know how it is now but back in my day they had a 1 year program, they called it the "star" program (this was back in 98-99). but afrotc was recruiting like crazy back then. not sure what it is like now.
also, ots is probably better for you cause you've already got a degree and afotc is a lot of bull******. its cool when you're like 18 or 19 but the older you get the more stupid afrotc is. d and c gets really old after a while and none of that cadet wing stuff is really THAT important.
and just in cast you're wondering yes i am in the army, yes i did commission thru afrotc. i did blue to green 2 years ago. loving the army way better!!!
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27   #7
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

one more thing: dont be nervous. be exited, HOOAH!
Old 07-28-2008, 22:33   #8
Rocknropes

I may have caused some confusion with some of my statments. Im going into AFROTC this fall and applying to OTS in Sept. If I hear back from OTS that Im accepted then I'm going to quit AFROTC in the spring. I wouldn't have to sign the obligation until the beginning of summer 2009. So i have up til then to back out. but by then I'll have already heard back from OTS ( hopefully). But Yes, Im very excited! I got fitted for my cadet uniforms last week and it felt awesome! I've been working on my PT for the past 3 months but Im still shy on the 1.5 mile run. everything else is good for top scores though. It's very exciting!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:53   #9
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Do some cardio on the machines. DO NOT destroy your knees before you even get in (I have knee problems now).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 19:20   #10
Rocknropes

I was working out on the elliptical for that reason, but then I moved on to treadmills to better simulate having to run. Starting this fall I'll be required to do PT twice a week and every other friday for AFROTC. I want to be as ready as possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 15:36   #11
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

training for the pft is a good idea, but you want to run more than 1.5 miles. if you stick with afrotc you be running a lot more than 1.5 miles when you get to field training. you should be able to run at least 3 miles no problem. also running on treadmills or eliptical is great for training. but you'll probably wanna do some roadwork outside too. especially if you get ots, maxwell has a lot of hills you'll be running.

also afrotc and ots use d&c a lot. i suggest you join your det's drill team if they have one. you'll learn, might have some fun, and more importantly you wont feel behind the power curve.

may the force be w/ you
Old 08-05-2008, 20:00   #12
MDLibertarian
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MDLibertarian
Considering your major the USAF would stupid NOT to get you in any way they can as EEs are in great demand. The second to last supervisor I had while I was still in was an EE who was a Major (now a Lt Col working at NAIC at Wright-Patterson AFB) whose hubby was also an EE who was prior-Navy enlisted. She said that the promotion potential wasn't the best as an Acquisition Officer (what most engineers become), but that you'll get whatever training your lil' heart desires plus the TS/SCI clearance to boot. She said she could potentially get her chickens (full colonel), but that would mean she would have to take a command slot which she really didn't want. She did say that engineers are highly in demand and that if you really want to right-your-own-ticket as an EE, then you should get some experience in the analog world along with the digital systems, the latter of which EE programs seem to focus on. Analog is still very prevalent in developing countries where we target their SIGINT assets and not enough engineers have experience with the older technology. If you want to pursue a Masters, wait until you get commissioned and apply to the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) at Wright-Patterson as the AF will pay for the entire program.
Old 09-02-2008, 14:52   #13
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

dont be too surprised... the AF does a lot of stupid things. look at the situation you guys are in now after FORCE SHAPING (that was smart good job Mosely and Wynn!!!).
Old 09-22-2008, 14:23   #14
Rocknropes

well, after waiting for some paperwork and rescheduling, Im going to take my AFOQT in Oct. has anyone taken it before? if so do you have any tips? I hear it's basically the SAT's on steroids and I've bought several study guides. I obviously want to do really well so any help is appreciated.
Old 09-22-2008, 14:46   #15
b52ace
NRA Patron

Been about 38 years since I took it. But tests being tests, I'm sure they haven't changed significantly. They were very much like SATs, but had sections testing your ability to visualize (spacial orientation, etc). They ones I recall specifically were the cogs that were interconnected and they would ask "if this cog 1 turns clockwise what direction will cog 5 turn?", "looking at this depiction, is the plane going away from you or towards you?", things like that. There were many of these to evaluate and you had to manage your time to get through them all. (The fact I can recall those sections after all these years gives you some idea how special they were )

Your study guides will cover the areas well, I'm sure. Good luck with the test.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:48   #16
Rocknropes

well, Im taking my AFOQT tomorrow at 08:30 . wish me luck!
Old 10-20-2008, 15:04   #17
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

it IS an SAT on steroids. biggest thing is to be familiar w/ the type of questions they ask. especially the types B52ACE mentioned. also the electronic maze will take you for a loop especially if you havent practiced prior to showing up. also watch your time!!!

also you CAN take the test again. people do it all the time. especially for the pilot wanna-bees. if you dont like your results then fight to take it again. some det commanders / or officer recruiters wont let you know of this policy.
Old 10-21-2008, 00:14   #18
Rocknropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_CRUNCH View Post
it IS an SAT on steroids. biggest thing is to be familiar w/ the type of questions they ask. especially the types B52ACE mentioned. also the electronic maze will take you for a loop especially if you havent practiced prior to showing up. also watch your time!!!

also you CAN take the test again. people do it all the time. especially for the pilot wanna-bees. if you dont like your results then fight to take it again. some det commanders / or officer recruiters wont let you know of this policy.
well, I took it last wednesday. Now I just have to sit back and wait for the results. It took 4 hours but at least I finished every section and answered every question. man, it was long! There was No electronic maze portion. from my memory there was analogies, arithmetic, problem solving, block counting, chart reading, geometric shapes, and word knowledge. I may have forgotten a section but those were the main ones. I know you can take it twice before you need a waiver but they only count the latest so if you do better the first time, it doesn't matter they only take the most recent. well, now the next step is to get setup for the physical at MEPS then interview. Im excited but nervous also.
Old 10-23-2008, 22:35   #19
Glock13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
well, I took it last wednesday. Now I just have to sit back and wait for the results. It took 4 hours but at least I finished every section and answered every question. man, it was long! There was No electronic maze portion. from my memory there was analogies, arithmetic, problem solving, block counting, chart reading, geometric shapes, and word knowledge. I may have forgotten a section but those were the main ones. I know you can take it twice before you need a waiver but they only count the latest so if you do better the first time, it doesn't matter they only take the most recent. well, now the next step is to get setup for the physical at MEPS then interview. Im excited but nervous also.
I went through OTS in '06. Currently a 1Lt. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-24-2008, 00:57   #20
Rocknropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock13 View Post
I went through OTS in '06. Currently a 1Lt. Let me know if you have any questions.
actually, could you tell me what a typical day in your life is like? I've spoken to a lot of enlisted guys, but not so many officers. Going in with an engineering degree, I'd like to do something related to engineering but I know they'll put you where they need you. also, how long did you have to wait after the board met to hear if you got accepted? and after you got that news, how long before you were sent out to OTS? how do you like your job? what would you say you like most and what would you say you hate the most? thanks for your help.