SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:38   #1
JayPap
NRA Life Member

What are you reading?

I just had a new member ask me to recommend a good book about Masonry and I couldn't think of any.

Any ideas would be helpful. I usually have my nose in my cipher so anything would help.

Thanks Jay P.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:15   #2
mmsig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPap View Post
I just had a new member ask me to recommend a good book about Masonry and I couldn't think of any.

Any ideas would be helpful. I usually have my nose in my cipher so anything would help.

Thanks Jay P.
Try www.hiramhunter.com. John Robinson writes some good books
mmsig229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 19:25   #3
Mr. BJL

Books

Born In Blood by Robinson!
Great Read.
Mr. BJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 21:10   #4
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BJL View Post
Born In Blood by Robinson!
Great Read.
Born in Blood and The Hiram Key are what I consider must-read for the newly raised Master Mason. Non-masons are more than welcome to read them, but they would appreciate them slightly less.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 23:21   #5
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED64CJ5 View Post
Born in Blood and The Hiram Key are what I consider must-read for the newly raised Master Mason. Non-masons are more than welcome to read them, but they would appreciate them slightly less.

I would not suggest the Hiram Key for a new Master. It goes pretty far out there to prove a point. One of the best sources for new, or old master for that much is to read the masonic materials included in their Bible. The amount of information there is amazing and usually overlooked.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22   #6
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatdriver View Post
I would not suggest the Hiram Key for a new Master. It goes pretty far out there to prove a point. One of the best sources for new, or old master for that much is to read the masonic materials included in their Bible. The amount of information there is amazing and usually overlooked.
That is, if they get a Masonic Bible. Many lodges don't give them out, unfortunately. I recommend that people buy them because there is a great amount of information in them... I agree, Hiram Key is pretty deep, but it's very interesting. I suppose it depends on how much research a reader is willing to do and how open minded they are...
Old 07-09-2008, 20:25   #7
JayPap
NRA Life Member

Thanks for the responses.

I will let my friend know of your recommendations.

We do give the large heirloom Bible and I forgot how much info was in there.

Thanks again for the tips so far.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:16   #8
mmsig229

Most Masonic Bibles are the KJV. The only real difference is the ability to record the dates of your progression through the Blue Lodge, SR, and YR.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16   #9
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsig229 View Post
Most Masonic Bibles are the KJV. The only real difference is the ability to record the dates of your progression through the Blue Lodge, SR, and YR.
Many of them have a reference section in addition to the KJV Bible. The references specifically tie to the rituals.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28   #10
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Brother 229 - I must respectfully disagree. The Masonic Bible that I was given has many pages of information in it, somewhere on the order of 50+.

It also includes the pages for recording your progressions.

You are correct they are KJV
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:03   #11
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatdriver View Post
Brother 229 - I must respectfully disagree. The Masonic Bible that I was given has many pages of information in it, somewhere on the order of 50+.
There are companies that make plain KJV Bibles that have a Masonic Square & Compasses on them and a place to put your various important dates. Some of them don't include the 50+ pages of information but MOST do, from my experience.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50   #12
Highball

The Freemasons in America: Inside the Secret Society by H. Paul Jeffers

It's a pretty good book & he doesnt pretend like he's going to disclose any hidden secrets or rituals. It's just a good history book but I'm guessing it wouldn't hook as many people w/o the "Inside the Secret Society" tag.
Highball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:09   #13
RED64CJ5

I have that one on my bookshelf... And I've let a few prospective Masons read it. It doesn't give up the "big secrets" and is light reading

They can be found cheap and on many bookstores' shelves. I got mine at the Houston airport.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:58   #14
mmsig229

Quote:
There are companies that make plain KJV Bibles that have a Masonic Square & Compasses on them and a place to put your various important dates. Some of them don't include the 50+ pages of information but MOST do, from my experience.
You may be right, I'll double check mine. I guess I was more heading down the path that Masonry doesn't endorse any one particular Bible, and they don't contain cipher.
Old 07-12-2008, 22:25   #15
machinisttx

Quote:
You may be right, I'll double check mine. I guess I was more heading down the path that Masonry doesn't endorse any one particular Bible, and they don't contain cipher.

I've never heard of a Lodge using anything other than the KJV as far as Bibles go.

Link to mine below, with monitor.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/102_0671.jpg
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07   #16
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
I've never heard of a Lodge using anything other than the KJV as far as Bibles go.

Link to mine below, with monitor.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/102_0671.jpg
My experience with lodges (and I have now visited many in the USA and world) is that they generally do use a KJV. That being said, I have also been in lodges where the Old Testament only was used, The Torah, and The Quran, among others whose sole belief is in the Supreme Architect of the Universe. I have generally been taught and have read that there is no single right or wrong answer here... If another student of Masonry has a different perspective or reference, I'd like to see it (via PM if you feel necessary).

Masonic Bibles vary in what additional material they provide beyond that found in the KJV Bible. Usually the content is "KJV Bible + Masonic Scriptural Reference + Place to record important dates" That being said, I have seen some that do not contain the references... Just a place for dates in the front and a KJV Bible making up the rest.
Old 07-14-2008, 14:31   #17
machinisttx

Quote:
My experience with lodges (and I have now visited many in the USA and world) is that they generally do use a KJV. That being said, I have also been in lodges where the Old Testament only was used, The Torah, and The Quran, among others whose sole belief is in the Supreme Architect of the Universe. I have generally been taught and have read that there is no single right or wrong answer here... If another student of Masonry has a different perspective or reference, I'd like to see it (via PM if you feel necessary).

Masonic Bibles vary in what additional material they provide beyond that found in the KJV Bible. Usually the content is "KJV Bible + Masonic Scriptural Reference + Place to record important dates" That being said, I have seen some that do not contain the references... Just a place for dates in the front and a KJV Bible making up the rest.
Yes, I'm aware that some lodges may use the Torah or Quran---that's why I said "as far as Bibles" go instead of "Book of Scriptures" or another less specific reference to the holy book of person xxxx's choice. The KJV is the only OT/NT version of the Bible I've ever seen any reference to with regard to the Craft.

I'm not saying that a lodge somewhere doesn't use something else, just that the KVJ is apparently the standard.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote